You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "Emilia44" started this thread

Reg: Sep 13th 2006

Children: One daughter

Tuesday, October 16th 2007, 12:47pm

New mum needs your advice!

Hi everyone, hope you can help. I had my gorgeous little girl Raffi last Thursday and she latched on quickly despite a traumatic birth and c section and has been feeding well but...

Every now and then - I'd say one feed in 7 ish, she gets a great latch but then pulls back and wrestles the nipple like a shark, crying and getting frustrated. I try every different position and both sides and this can go on for ages with her getting very upset. I can't work out why she won't latch on for these feeds.

Last night we had a blissfull night with 3 easy feeds, no trouble and no tears and a very good night's sleep and then this morning she had the latch issue again and it took 3 feeds for her to fall asleep and not wake up desperate for food and not latching properly.

I'm hoping to see the breastfeeding counsellor tomorrow but wondered if I'm doing something obviously wrong or what advice you might give.

Also my milk still isn't in yet - could she be frustrated about that? How much longer can it be?!!!

I want to get this right and make it easy on us both because there is no question of me giving up - I want to feed her to at least 6 months, maybe one year so I feel these early days are important.
MC 1997, Ectopic 2006, Tubal infertility, 1st IVF :BFP: [zx098]

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, October 16th 2007, 12:58pm

When she wrestles with your nipple could she be over hungry or over tired? Is she going a little bit too long before the feed and could waiting for the milk be frustrating her? Does this only happen on one side or both?

You say that your milk hasn't come in yet. Are you still producing colostrum and have your breasts felt heavy and/or full at all any point over the past few days?

Tuesday, October 16th 2007, 1:01pm

Hi Bells,

I would say this morning she couldn't have been overtired or over hungry as she slept and fed well all night. It happens on both sides and I guess could be frustration about not having the milk right away. I think I must still have collustrum as she was feeding away for ages last night quite happily and since the earlier wrestle has taken a feed well so there must be something there.

My breasts do feel heavier and look a bit fuller but I don't feel a significant enough change for it to be the milk in - I thought they should be much bigger, hot, swollen and tender and I don't have that and nor do I visibly have milk.

Tuesday, October 16th 2007, 1:03pm

Actually I just felt them and they are getting quite sore - do you think it's coming?

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, October 16th 2007, 1:09pm

Not everyone gets a visit from the milk fairy with dramatic results. It could be that your milk is slowly coming in. Have you been fretting about the birth of Raffi and how it didn't go to plan for you?

Tuesday, October 16th 2007, 1:18pm

I wasn't but I've had some flashbacks the last day or so and been feeling very upset about a couple of aspects of the labour. Could that affect my milk production?

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, October 16th 2007, 1:34pm

Hmmm... I do believe that stress or worry can inhibit milk production but then being told that only adds to stress doesn't it? Have you had chance to talk about your birth experience?

Have you some rescue remedy that you could take before each feed? We really want your prolactin levels to increase and adrenaline and cortisol can have the same effect as they do on oxytocin levels in labour. You know how much your own emotions can have a bearing there, much as they did when your regular midwife left you.... you may be experiencing a similar problem with your feeding although by the sounds of things you're actually doing extremely well and I'm relieved to hear that these episodes are few and far between.

Are you eating, drinking and resting??? Not up and about or doing stuff are you?

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Tuesday, October 16th 2007, 1:37pm

When you sqqueeze the areola, is the liquid coming out seethrough yellow or whiteish?
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Tuesday, October 16th 2007, 1:46pm

Thanks Bells. I'm being really good - DH is doing everything so I don't think it's that. Could be the trauma - I'm trying to process it all now but I might do a good long post about what's upseting me in a day or so. That will help I'm sure. I do have RR so I'll try that pre feed when she wakes up.

Torisen I haven't squeezed them to check - my parents are here so when they go I'll go have a little squeeze! Feeling much sorer now actually so hoping its the milk coming.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, October 16th 2007, 1:52pm

I would definately get it all down. I held onto my feelings for YEARS and it was only writing them down that helped.

Do have a squeeze and see what's coming out and do have some RR, I'm sure this is just a little blip and nothing to worry about.

Tuesday, October 16th 2007, 2:00pm

Thanks so much Bells.
:hugs:

Wednesday, October 17th 2007, 10:40am

RE: New mum needs your advice!

just to let you know my milk came in last night - Raffi is much happier and is feeding really well last night and today. She's gone into a bit of a feeding frenzy - i think she likes this new stuff! I feel so much happier. Last night I woke to feed her 3 times - no crying - no hassle - i just felt her rooting and heard her little murmurs, helped her get latched on and when she was done, i went straight back to sleep and so did she! I feel so much better for getting really good nights sleep too. We've had 4 nice easy feeds since she woke this morning too. i think we're both getting the hang of this now.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, October 17th 2007, 10:54am

That's fantastic news! Glad your milk arrived and that Raffi is settling ... :))

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE