compley

Megastar

• "compley" started this thread

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Monday, November 5th 2007, 9:18am

Frequent feeding

Just after some advice!

Last few evenings H has fed more frequently in the evenings. I think this could be cluster feeding, and googled it, and the info said cluster feeding is quite common in young babies.

the last 24 hours, especially early hours/this morning he seems to want to feed even more. He tends to have quite short feeds, and the midwife said this was fine, as he is putting on weight, feeds efficiently, and has at least 8 feeds in 24 hours., wet nappies etc. His feeds have started to get a bit longer, but the last few feeds have gone back to being a bit shorter.

He does seem genuinely hungry, e.g. with his feeding cues, and I check other things that may be unsettling him etc.

He is 3 weeks today, and I have read babies can have a growth spurt, so my instinct is to just go with him, and feed him when he wants, does this sound ok?

Also, he has plenty of wet nappies, but some days only 1-2 dirty nappies. I read that bf babies don't always have lots of dirty nappies, as breastmilk is easily digested/absorbed, and therefore there isn't much waste, does anyone know if this is right?

thanks!

xxx

<

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, November 5th 2007, 10:24am

Sounds absolutely perfect to me.

The cluster feeds should build up and then go off again once he's increased your milk supply sufficiently. If, after a week, he's still doing it then reconsider whether he's partly feeding for comfort. Again, this is fine as long as your nipples can cope.

What you say is true about breastfed babies. Four times a day is normal, as is once a week. Don't forget that your milk is helping to build the healthy flora in his gut so his digestive process is working really efficiently.. there can be so little waste as it's being so easily digested.

compley

Megastar

Monday, November 5th 2007, 10:58am

thanks Bells, it's good to have reassurance that what i'm doing is ok! It's hard in the early days to know if i'm doing the right thing, and I try to trust my instinct, but it's good to have people say 'yep that's all quite normal, you are doing ok!!!'

<

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Monday, November 5th 2007, 11:26am

Sounds just like what DS#2 is up to as well....some days 5 poo nappies, other days 1 or 0 poo nappies.

We only started trying to get him to stretch out the feeds to every 3 hours when he hit 3 months. Before that we just went with the flow as he needed to put on as much weight as possible and he did - he went from 2.2kg to 5.3 kg in 3 months! :D

compley

Megastar

Monday, November 5th 2007, 12:26pm

Yep that's what I think too sumshine, H needs to put on weight, and so far he has done really well, so think it's important to feed him when he wants, for as long as he wants!!...Sounds like your little one did fab, with such a good weight gain over a few months!

<

Monday, November 5th 2007, 12:30pm

well he lost weight at 3 months over two weeks because of bronchitus and is making it up by feeding every two hours at night time :rolleyes: but yeah he's doing well again now :D

I love the photo in your sig - you both look gorgeous!

compley

Megastar

Monday, November 5th 2007, 1:30pm

aww thanks Sunshine xxx

<

compley

Megastar

Wednesday, November 7th 2007, 10:00am

Had a bit of a day of it yesterday!

after posting on here, and being reassured about growth spurts etc I was happy with what I was doing, yes it is tiring, but then I expect that, with a newborn, and breastfeeding is demanding on the mother, but again i expect that, especially at the mo whilst we are getting established with it!

Well, my Mum and friend were here, and thought they were being helpful! Bascially H was feeding lots yesterday.
I explained about the growth spurts they have, and that I understand why he is feeding lots, not worried that he isn't getting enough, as everything indicates he is!

But the started saying 'oh you shouldn't be feeding that much' 'give him a dummy' (he was hungry, he didn't need a dummy!!!) 'start expressing now, I did and it didn't affect my milk' (I want to wait until at least 6 weeks when bf is established!), oh and 'give him a bottle!'

I felt I was being ganaged up on, in what they thought was trying to be helpful!

My friend even said, your milk will be affected if you get tired, and I am trying to rest when I get the chance, infact I am trying to do all the right things, but they made me feel what I was doing was wrong!

Was in tears when dh came home, but chatted it through with him, and I said I am happy with what I'm doing at the mo, and am going to carry on, but it's just so hard when people give what they think is well meant advice, but it just knocks your confidence!!!!

sorry, just needed to vent a bit!!!!

<

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "compley" (Nov 7th 2007, 10:00am)

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Wednesday, November 7th 2007, 10:08am

as you said they probably thought they were being helpful but don't take it to heart just carrying on with what you're doing x

Wednesday, November 7th 2007, 11:52am

oh ffs - tell em to f*** off! I HATE it when people interfere like this.... one reason why even though I live overseas I wouldnt let either set of parents visit until DS #1 was at least 12 weeks old!

Thing is, the advice they are giving is good....but.... a few months ahead of themselves - it's been almost 30 years since they had a baby and so of course they have naturally forgotten a lot of stuff (I did between #1 & #2!!!) and are getting their timings wrong.

Dummies - only needed once they start sucking their little fists - they go through a phase where they do need a dummy at around 3 months and have an intense desire to suck, but if you give a dummy now as you already said your baby needs to feed not suck empty calories.

Feeding every two hours for the first month is bloody hard work and fecking knackering but also perfectly normal, and it doesnt last.

You can express now, but personally unless you are engorged and need to release some pressure, or you need to go out to work now I cant see the point - after all you're not saving time by expressing for 20+ minutes, cleaning the pump & equipment and then feeding the baby afterwards?!

I've got to go back to work in a fortnight so I have started expressing but only in the mornings when I am engorged, just to build a small supply. Then I will express at work.

But for you to do it at 3 weeks? pah

Right - as for your friend saying your milk will be affected if you get tired, well she IS right, so tell her that what you need her to do to help is to do the housework for you! :] and then you should feed H, hand him over to her to babysit whilst you go and sleep for an hour or two and for her to only wake you when he needs feeding! :))

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Wednesday, November 7th 2007, 1:32pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Sunshine
oh ffs - tell em to f*** off!

:laugh:

Quoted

Originally posted by Sunshinethey go through a phase where they do need a dummy at around 3 months and have an intense desire to suck, but if you give a dummy now as you already said your baby needs to feed not suck empty calories.

I don't know if this is true of all babies, we tried Plum with a dummy but she wasn't having any of it but I definitely agree that at three weeks old your baby needs the grub not to be wasting energy on sucking a dummy!

Quoted

Originally posted by Sunshine
Feeding every two hours for the first month is bloody hard work and fecking knackering but also perfectly normal, and it doesnt last.

True - plus it doesn't help if those you rely on for support are pretty much telling you you're wasting your time - you're bloody not, you're doing exactly the right thing so keep it up.

Quoted

Originally posted by Sunshineafter all you're not saving time by expressing for 20+ minutes, cleaning the pump & equipment and then feeding the baby afterwards?!

Excellent point. Plus some people can't express, I tried it and after an hour only had about 2oz it was much more effort than just bfing.

Quoted

Originally posted by SunshineRight - as for your friend saying your milk will be affected if you get tired, well she IS right, so tell her that what you need her to do to help is to do the housework for you! :] and then you should feed H, hand him over to her to babysit whilst you go and sleep for an hour or two and for her to only wake you when he needs feeding! :))

Hell ye!!!!!!

compley

Megastar

Monday, November 19th 2007, 6:15pm

Just another quick question, re feeds!!!!

When H was first born, midwife said to ensure he got 8 feeds in 24 hours, which I have done.

He usually feeds 2-4 hourly in day, and usually always wakes for these feeds, 3 times, quite close together in the eve, and once overnight.

If he wants more feeds, I also feed him then, so somedays he gets more then 8 feeds.

Last few eves he hasn't seemed to want so many feeds, and I've woken him, to ensure he gets 8 in,but am wondering perhaps he doesn't need/want all of them, and may be happy with approx 7? He is feeding for longer for most feeds now, then he was when first born.

I know bf is about demand feeding etc, but as I was told to get 8 feeds in, get stressed if I don't think he will get 8 in!!!

I'm not seeing health visitor until next week, and don't want to underfeed him! just wandered if he doesn't want to feed as much in the eve, and has one less feed if that's ok? He is very content between feeds, and has lots of wet nappies etc, and seems to be growing well!

thanks!

<

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, November 19th 2007, 6:34pm

In two and a half years of breastfeeding I never counted the number of feeds my babies had... nor was I told to! I can see why a new Mum would be given a bit of a benchmark to aim for but surely not a hard and fast rule???

Unfortunately in a bottle feeding culture we're obsessed with numbers, how often and how much. With breastfeeding as long as baby is pink, alert, weeing and pooing (even once a week) then just feed as your baby wants feeding and if that's seven times a day then great... course if it's twice in 24 hours then obviously that's not good but you're an intelligent woman... you know your own baby and you should trust yourself.

compley

Megastar

Monday, November 19th 2007, 6:39pm

Thanks Bells! Think you are right about the culture we live in, and getting caught up with numbers and feeds per day etc...and being a nurse myself am probably guilty of being a bit obsessed with it myself!!!!...Like you say I need to learn to trust my instinct!!

<

Tuesday, November 20th 2007, 12:27pm

Laura - I work the 3 at 3, 4 at 4 rule, myself. I had to get into a pretty strict routine for #1 as I went back to work when he was 14 weeks (no choice) so I needed to get him & my boobs ready for expressing at the same time each day.

Basically 3 at 3 & 4 at 4 means that feeds are (from start of feed to start of next feed) 3 hours apart at 3 months, and move to 4 hours apart at 4 months

so.... at 3 months a typical routine would be feeds starting at:
7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm and then I would wake to feed at 10pm and then feed on demand during the night

at 4 months it looks like
6am, 10am, 2pm, 6pm, wake at 10pm and then feed on demand during the night

it works for me, but doesnt necessarily work for others so dont treat this as gospel

At 1month or so though, I think what your HV is trying to say is make sure you feed your baby every 2-3 hours. They're not going to sleep through the night at this age, so if some days are 6 or 7 feeds and other days are 9-10 feeds makes no difference. Feed the little mite when he's hungry - he knows what he wants ;)

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Tuesday, November 20th 2007, 12:32pm

I fed on demand aswell, she soon got into a little feeding routine of her own she was gaining weight, pooing once a week and weeing allday so I just went with it because I was able to, my HV was very supportive aswell.

have they bought out the new BF weight charts yet?

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE