You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "swellhillcottage" started this thread

Reg: Aug 3rd 2006

Monday, February 11th 2008, 9:12am

Heating milk in Microwave

It i s recommended on all the feed tins not to heat milk in microwave but does anyone do it?

Sharon xx
Finally
Beautiful Son Charlie William Born 15/01/08 weighing 9lbs 3oz :innocent:

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Monday, February 11th 2008, 9:53am

I do heat the food and milk in micro now I didnt have one until xmas (ta Mam) cant belive i struggled with jugs of hot water for 2 babies all year. The warning is incase of HOT pockets, but if you stir well and temp check it. It should be fine.

x x x
but dont micro in TIN as it conduct with Mircro-waves and you get a mini Lightening storm on the inside and its Bad for Micro. Guess you see i found that out DUH!!!!

Edited to say - as your DS is so young you maybe best to stick with jug of water for now -My boys at your sons age had room temp milk Much easier x x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "1xbaby pls" (Feb 11th 2008, 9:58am)

KIRSTY G

Reg: Sep 27th 2006

Children: 7 year old little man, and B/G twins

Monday, February 11th 2008, 10:11am

Up until the twins were around 20 weeks or so, we only ever heated milk in a jug of hot water. Now we will heat the water in the microwave, then add the formula ... Sometime, B's milk need re-heating half way through (cos she's a bit of a fussy madam :rolleyes: ), so we do heat milk every now and then.
If you're going to heat water or milk in the microwave, it's best to remove the top first (the whole, thing, ring and teat) as the teats can hold heat, or warp ... and make sure you shake the liquid for agggeeeesssss to dispurse any hot spots

Monday, February 11th 2008, 10:20am

Or if you are routine Boil kettle 1/2 before feed and then Temp will be right at Bottle making time. x x

KIRSTY G

Reg: Sep 27th 2006

Children: 7 year old little man, and B/G twins

Monday, February 11th 2008, 10:26am

.... Good thinking batman

If we were doing 4oz per feed, we would make bottles up with 2oz (just cooled boiled water in the fridge, I mean), then when it was feed time, boil the kettle and add the boiling water to the cooled water ... Ta daaaa

Reg: Jul 21st 2006

Monday, February 11th 2008, 10:29am

hi hun
i always do evie-mae's bottles up in the morning for the day, and place in fridge

i then warm them in a jug of hot water, i have never put bottles in the microwave, there is danger of hot spots, as the milk doesnt heat through evenly in a microwave

good to have you on board hun

xxxx
ME 32, pcos, DH 47,
DH had Tese tx Jan 06
IVF/ ICSI July 06 ,
30 eggs collected, 2 transfered,
Had OHSS and OMG, :BFP:

JoJo

Ace

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Monday, February 11th 2008, 10:49am

Hi, I always did E's bottle in micro from her being around 12 weeks. Before this I used a bottle warmer. I stopped because the bottles were always really hot at the bottom and the rest of the milk seemed cold. when using the micro I would heat for 30 seconds so it was just slightly warmed shake really well and thats that. I never had any problems. If you give baby milk which is warmer than this then I would make sure that you do shake for longer and also leave to stand for a min before feeding to baby.

Reg: Jul 30th 2006

Monday, February 11th 2008, 11:40am

I've always microwaved the twins milk - they do have it tepid though so i generally warm it just to take the chill out of it rather than make it warm. if you want it warmer as jo jo says give it a good shake and let it stand for a few minutes to make sure there are no hot spots before giving it.

xx

ETS - i always do that anyway just to make sure, but obviously its even more important to 'shake & wait' if the milk is warmer :D
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
Bilateral hydrosalpinges discovered May 06
Bilateral salpingectomy June 06
1st IVF August 06 BFN
2nd IVF January 07 BFP Twins!!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Suzy Q" (Feb 11th 2008, 11:43am)

Monday, February 11th 2008, 11:41am

Quoted

Originally posted by KIRSTY G
.... Good thinking batman

If we were doing 4oz per feed, we would make bottles up with 2oz (just cooled boiled water in the fridge, I mean), then when it was feed time, boil the kettle and add the boiling water to the cooled water ... Ta daaaa

Darn good idea !!
I temporarily stopped breast feeding yesterday as Charlie lately seemed to have a very dodgy tum and kept sicking up and as i was having to top up most feeds anyway it seemed logical for now ( I am still expressing though) but getting up in the middle of the night and heating a bottle was a real pain in the Bum and very slow Charlie was not a happy chappie X( X( X(!!!!

So thanks for your suggestions ladies .

Sharon xx
Finally

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: DS#1 (clomid) 1999 -vb - DS#2 (natural BFP) c-sec

Monday, February 11th 2008, 12:04pm

Didn't microwave Callum's bottles when he was little -- probably started microwaving when he was nearer to 1 -- but with Gregor I've been microwaving his bottles since he was a couple of weeks old --- as you say when they wake and need a bottle they need it now!!!!! I only ever take the chill off the bottles -- Gregor has always taken them pretty luke warm rather than hot so I think microwaving is ok --- just make sure you give it a good slosh around first :smile:
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)
DS#2 MAY 2006 - MIRACLE !!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, February 11th 2008, 12:33pm

I microwaved but only enough to take the chill off them. I did this with both EBM and formula if it had been in the fridge. I also used to make up bottles with just the water in for the days feeds and just keep them on the worktop, sealed obviously, and then add powder as we used them and fed them to her at room temp. My reasoning was, the bottles were sterilised, the water had been boiled and until you add powder there's nothing in them to grow bugs. She never had any tummy upsets. I do have quite a relaxed attitude to food hygiene though, but having studied an ickle bit of microbiology, I know whats important and whats not.

one2b

Star

Reg: Oct 30th 2006

Monday, February 11th 2008, 8:07pm

thats what i do too mrs j. G only really likes a hot bottle when he's tired,other than that the micro isnt used cos bottles with water are left on worktop until i need them, genius!!!

Reg: Oct 10th 2005

Monday, February 11th 2008, 10:11pm

Yep we micro too
Take the whole bottle apart and micro for 30 seconds then shake loads
We used a jug to start but it used to get too hot so we'd have to wait for it to cool or run it under cold water....

micro is so much easier

Me 39, DH 39 ICSI Nov '06 BFP

FET Dec '10 - ET Dec 16th - Test Day 31/12/10

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, February 11th 2008, 10:49pm

Quoted

Originally posted by swellhillcottage

I temporarily stopped breast feeding yesterday as Charlie lately seemed to have a very dodgy tum and kept sicking up and as i was having to top up most feeds anyway it seemed logical for now ( I am still expressing though) but getting up in the middle of the night and heating a bottle was a real pain in the Bum and very slow Charlie was not a happy chappie X( X( X(!!!!

You sound like you've planned well by expressing to keep up your milk supply. Remember that your milk is more gentle on Charlie's tummy than formula milk as it contains very little casein and is easily digested, also it contains friendly bacteria (like Actimel) which is kind to the gut flora, helping with tummy upsets and aiding digestion.

If Charlie's been consistently vomiting after a feed it's probably worth seeing your GP as it could be a reflux problem rather than a straight tummy upset.

kski

Ace

Reg: Mar 26th 2006

Monday, February 11th 2008, 11:27pm

Quoted

Originally posted by JoJo
Hi, I always did E's bottle in micro from her being around 12 weeks. Before this I used a bottle warmer. I stopped because the bottles were always really hot at the bottom and the rest of the milk seemed cold. when using the micro I would heat for 30 seconds so it was just slightly warmed shake really well and thats that. I never had any problems. If you give baby milk which is warmer than this then I would make sure that you do shake for longer and also leave to stand for a min before feeding to baby.

20 secs for thin bottles - 25 for thick -

works for us - give them a shake !
DAD to twins

Tuesday, February 12th 2008, 8:53am

Thanks Bells !

I put the sicking up down to my reastablished Port habit :snigger: :snigger: :snigger: he does seem to have a sensitive tummy though I might reintroduce Booby a bit this evening and see how we get on but it does seem he only spews after my milk but mind you he is such a piggy he takes both breasts and formula before he stops whinging !!

Sharon xx
Finally

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "swellhillcottage" (Feb 12th 2008, 9:02am)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Thursday, February 14th 2008, 5:15pm

Thursday, February 14th 2008, 7:23pm

Am i blind, cant see a price x x

mrsjasper

Megastar

Saturday, February 16th 2008, 9:53am

Me neither, the must be free!

Saturday, February 16th 2008, 10:26am

great i will order hundreds and sell them for a pound, I'll be RICH i tell you Rich x

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Saturday, February 16th 2008, 11:19am

i heat H's up in the microwave, if it has been stored in the fridge then i put it in for 30 seconds, if it has been at room temp or in my changing bag then it has 20 secs... it works well.

i always take the top off completely ( teat, the thing the teat goes thru and the cap) as they get scorchio. pop them back on when bottle has pinged and shake gently to evenly distribute the heat thru the milk.

k xxx

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Reg: Oct 17th 2006

Tuesday, February 19th 2008, 7:31pm

Hi
I don't heat up the milk. I always give them room temp formula. I heat the EBM bottles in a jug of water.

xxx
Anu

Me 32, DH 33
TTC since 2001
Left ovary removed and Lap 2 years later showed adhesions.
1st IVF NOV 06 - BFN.
2nd IVF APR 07 - :BFP:
TWINS!!!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE