You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Sunshine" started this thread

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Tuesday, July 24th 2007, 4:28am

too good to be true?

DS #2 is 5 weeks premature.

All he does is feed, have about 10 minutes awake time (per 24 hours), poop/wee. Either he wakes up around 2-3 hours or I wake him up after 2.5-3 hours for a feed as any more frequent and he just refuses to feed.

But that's it.

Hardly cries - except a teeny little mewl if really hungry after a nappy change.

Breast feeding going fine - which amazes me as we were separated for 48+ hours. We have trouble with right booby a little as that nip is flat/inverted and small and the boob sometimes gets engorged. Although he only feeds for 5 minutes or so at a time - I guess this is because he is so small?

To be honest, an absolute breeze because I can catch up on my post c-section recovery

Too good to be true? When's he going to turn into the screaming newborn that I remember from DS #1 ?!?!?!

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Tuesday, July 24th 2007, 5:34am

Hi sunshine

Huge Congratulations again hunni

His little body is just catching up with the growing he still has to do

to be honest olivia never turned into the screaming newborn i expected she was a very chilled and relaxed baby

I think this too was because she was prem but guess ill never know

I cant promise he will be the same so enjoy the rest whilst you can you never know!!

Huge congratulations again on your bundle of joy

take care
love zoexxxx
me 31 dh 30
me severe pcos
iui dd born 25weeks gestation
6 failed stimmed iui cycles since may 2007

Tuesday, July 24th 2007, 6:04am

thanks zoe - did you manage to breastfeed as well or was she too young/early?

Missy

Superstar

Tuesday, July 24th 2007, 7:45am

Lolly was 2 weeks early (no comparison I know hun) but you know for the first 3 or so weeks she hardly woke up or cried, not even for feeds. I do wonder if its related now you have made me think..

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Tuesday, July 24th 2007, 8:09am

Hi sunshine

I managed to express then breastfeed only for the first 7 weeks as my milk dried up which at the time was devastating i was even prescribed epilepsy tablets to try and help my milk supply but it wasnt meant to be

So when i got her home she was on formula unfortunately

Your doing a grand job sunshine enjoy

take care
Love zoexxxx
me 31 dh 30
me severe pcos

Tuesday, July 24th 2007, 8:59am

thanks zoe - goodness - I can imagine how devasting that must have been - probably due to the pumping - I found with DS#1 (still loving saying that :D ) that when I had to start pumping for work, the supply wasnt enough after time. 7 weeks was amazing though!!!

I know I've been lucky so far with it working - was just wondering - how often and how long did your DD feed for when she was around 35 weeks gest?

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Tuesday, July 24th 2007, 9:42am

my neice was 5 weeks early and she was always quiet, never made a peep, my sis used to have to wake her for feed....she always a placid little one....but now she is 13 and a nightmare lol! enjoy it whilst it lasts hun :D

love k xxx

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Chilli

GLOBAL MODERATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, July 24th 2007, 9:47am

Mabel was a bit early like Lolly and she slept for 3 weeks solid I used to just feed her and lay her back down, we were seperated for a while after birth and I never got the chance to BF before I went to down to theatre she latched on straight away and also did from then on.

I think you have got yourself a very relaxed gorgeous baby! :D

Tuesday, July 24th 2007, 9:47am

Hi sunshine

to be honest at 35 weeks not long at all i was really worried felt like i had just sat down to feed her and she had had enough, probably only a few minutes to be honest

the neonatal nurse visited everyday initially and kept assuring me it was fine as she was steadily putting on weight and was healthy,

I must say she weaned very early at 16 weeks uncorrected age i was told to start so she would have been 1 week old

there is alot of controversy about this i phoned bliss the prem baby charity for advice they believed as her digestive system was working fine if i had left her to corrected age she would have lost the automatic reflex and we would probably have had trouble feeding her but i knew she was ready and she took to it straight away

she never really got the hang of the bottle thing at 6 months uncorrected age so about 3 months old she refused a bottle completley and would only use a beaker

i strange at such a young age they have their own ways

Love the name by the way he is gorgeous you must be so proud

take care
love zoexx
me 31 dh 30
me severe pcos

Tuesday, July 24th 2007, 10:13am

zoe - thanks for all your advice & insights - I'm sure I'll be asking you more as time goes on! yeah the bf timing seems a bit strange - sometimes he'll do 2 gulps and decide he's had enough, other times he'll latch & suck for up to 10 minutes. I guess I will have to wait until his Thursday paed appointment to get him weighed and seeing how he's doing. I *am* incredibly proud of him - it still scares me that we could have lost him in the first 12 hours after his birth, or even beforehand if he had been born during the first scare at 32 weeks.

It's a bit strange because he wasnt *that* early (@ 35 weeks) and at 2.52kg he wasnt *that* low a birthweight for a premmie.... the doctors were surprised he was having so much trouble breathing. My heart still skips a beat every time I hear him gulp/wheeze from his bassinet.

chili, willow - also, thanks gals

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Tuesday, July 24th 2007, 11:30am

Hi Sunshine, congratulations on the arrival of Jamie.

My DD was born at 32 weeks, and spent approx. 3 weeks oi SCBU. To be really honest, I was so poorly, I don't remember a lot about those first few weeks but I do remember that she didn't/couldn't feed for long and had to have food via tube to top up what she took from a bottle (she was too early to breastfeed so she had EBM via bottle until my milk dried up at 3/4 weeks) as the sucking made her too tired.

Sounds like Jamie is doing really well to be breast feeding and home so quickly.

I expect you're rushed off your feet but if you get a chance have a look at bliss (can't remember address - will add!) - its for parents of children who've been in NICU/SCBU and there's a message board, mainly filled with parents of premmie babies - its really friendly and a great source of information and support.

Lots of love

x

Hi, edited to add its Bliss.org.uk

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Pootle" (Jul 24th 2007, 12:05pm)

Tuesday, July 24th 2007, 12:09pm

Jodie - thanks for that - I didnt know about that site - I'll have a look into it :D

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Tuesday, July 24th 2007, 12:17pm

If he's still young enough that he would normally be tucked up inside, then he'd normally be getting all his nutrition from the umbilical cord. He's not going to need hundreds of calories, so I'm sure that what he's asking for is all he needs.

The common perception that many sleepy babies "wake up" at around 3 weeks and suddenly cry more and demand more may be true (both of mine were like that to an extent), but I wonder if it will be at 3 weeks or at 3 weeks after his due date? Hope it's the latter - you'd get some good recovery time in!!
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

Tuesday, July 24th 2007, 12:42pm

ah - here is the link Bliss - Premature Baby Charity (UK)

Tuesday, July 24th 2007, 1:10pm

Limpet - I guess that is what I am asking! DS#1 was a joy as well for the first week or so and then all hell broke loose at around 2-3 weeks, but he was term.... guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed and see how it goes.

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Tuesday, July 24th 2007, 1:19pm

I think there may be some truth in that sunshine, prem babies do seem to be "quieter" in those first few weeks compared to term babies- i guess because they've still got so much growing/developing to do.
ds was 10 weeks prem and in nnu for 5 weeks, so cam home at 35 weeks. he was having some breast feeds (can''t remember for how long axactly but very short- maybe 10 mins) plus the rest of the feeds were about 1 oz ebm.

i think you're doing a great job- how are you feeling??

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rose" (Jul 24th 2007, 1:20pm)

ZIG

Ace

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Isabella Mae (ICSI No.3) and Ruby Olivia (natural)

Tuesday, July 24th 2007, 1:32pm

My nephew was born at 33 weeks and was tube fed my sister's expressed milk for about 3 weeks. He then took to bf really well and continued until he was 14 months - and my sis worked 4 days a week! He was a fairly quiet wee thing at first but by a month old he was a little bxgger and has remained so!!!!!! (He's now 26 months).
I honestly think they are all born with a certain amount of "personality" and you could be blessed with a chilled out little boy. As the others say, enjoy the rest, hun, you'll be needing all your strength to recover.
Zig x
Me 38, DH 44. 2002-2004 2x ICSI's, 1x egg donation. Changed clinics for own eggs ICSI/tx no.4 - BFP 27/4/05! Mummy to Isabella after early c-section 15/12/05, due to LLP. Baby No.2 (huge 'natural' surprise!) Ruby Olivia arrived 29/09/07 via emergency c-section.

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Tuesday, July 24th 2007, 1:46pm

Ha ha enjoy the quiet time.
Max & Jac were 6 weeks prem, both on oxi and tube fed with my milk, and v quiet and peaceful untill a week out of hosi (38weeks)and Jac found his lungs BIG TIME.

;)
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Wednesday, July 25th 2007, 2:04pm

well the bf is going well enough now that we have moved on to mustard poos & explosive botties :D

kski

Ace

Reg: Mar 26th 2006

Wednesday, July 25th 2007, 10:26pm

ahhh mustard poo

ours are on a 3 hour feed cycle -

Bliss today was offloading them onto Grandad and Surrogate Nan !

glad to hear all is well -

Nappies - you don't half go through them !

k
DAD to twins

ellied

Saturday, August 25th 2007, 9:34pm

I didn't see T until the Sun afternoon following an Sat eve birth. It was Tues before I persuaded them I could start expressing after complicated birth and HELP syndrome preeclampsia.

Despite tube feeding we got into the swing of things quite quickly once the tube was out and we got home. He used to sleep a lot but I never needed to wake him for a feed. He'd feed for ages and ages - half an Inspecor Morse video - and regularly fed for 40 mins up to 10 months. They all have their different needs and ways of feeding, I guess.

Hope all continus to go well for you :D

Oh, PS re bums and poos ... I have this strange child who never wees or poos when being changed. Poo, only once ever :)) Wee less than 10 times :baby: in 2 yrs. I'm not sure if this will be good or bad when we start potty training ?(

Sunday, August 26th 2007, 2:40am

well - he's definitely more awake now at 6 weeks (from birth) than he was a few weeks ago.

feeding is still going well, although still not quite yet on a 3 hour schedule - but then again I am still breastfeeding. he's a bit random in his feeding - at night he has gone up to 4 hours between feeds (hoorah!) but sometimes needs/wants feeding every hour. I'm sticking to "on demand" though for the moment until he is a bit older.

he has found his voice as well now! 8o poor lamb hates doing poos (shouts!) but once he has done so he has this really sweet funny look of blissed relief on his face :D

but he's a good boy - he only cries when he is hungry or when his tummy/bowels hurt :D

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Sunday, August 26th 2007, 10:01am

He sounds great! May I have one of those please?? :)
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Tuesday, April 8th 2008, 11:49am

Update

8)

he's now almost 9 months old, and is and has been a total and utter dude

he's smiley happy chilled & relaxed :smile:

he's had a few health problems from his prematurity (UTI & URTI), has eczema (as does #1) and is a bit "slow" compared to DS#1 developmentally

but he's our darling wonderful happy son 8)

ZIG

Ace

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Isabella Mae (ICSI No.3) and Ruby Olivia (natural)

Tuesday, April 8th 2008, 12:03pm

So glad things are going well with your wee men.

I hadn't heard from/seen you for ages and ages and was going to pm you today to see if you were ok! You beat me to it! Ruby is now 6 months old and is about to start crawling any day now. She's a rubbish sleeper, but so was Bella, so I suppose I should be used to it by now! R's eczema comes and goes, but the steroid cream does it's stuff, so I'm praying that this bout won't last too long.

How are you feeling? Two little ones is very, very different to just having the one, isn't it?

Zig x
Me 38, DH 44. 2002-2004 2x ICSI's, 1x egg donation. Changed clinics for own eggs ICSI/tx no.4 - BFP 27/4/05! Mummy to Isabella after early c-section 15/12/05, due to LLP. Baby No.2 (huge 'natural' surprise!) Ruby Olivia arrived 29/09/07 via emergency c-section.

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Tuesday, April 8th 2008, 9:50pm

sun, i have missed you being around too! glad you are back :]

so little J is a bit of a dude ey???? ..........think you could stretch to showing us a pic of your gorgeous boys????? :P would love to see them, i bet P is huge now!
so glad they are doing well
lots of love k xxx

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Wednesday, April 9th 2008, 12:20pm

ladies - lovely to hear from you!

I've gotta dash as I'm off for a long weekend but will be back early next week - send me via PM your emails & I will drop you both a photo of the boys as I dont like public posting :D

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE