You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Rivka

• "Rivka" started this thread

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Wednesday, April 9th 2008, 8:59pm

Notice for returning to work

Contacted work today to find out when is the earliest I can return to work. My intention is to go back for the 13 weeks I have to work to cover the maternity leave I'm having now, and then to give notice and find a job closer to home. I was hoping to go back first week of June which would mean I could leave second week of July.

They've told me that during my absence there is now a new handbook and I now have to give three months notice to return which means I can't go back until second week of July meaning I couldn't leave my job until 1st October ;(

Can this be right? It seems an excessive amount of notice to me!

I'm not trying to pull a fast one with work, I fully intend to play my part but currently my travel time is three hours a day and I'm just not prepared to sacrifice so much time away form my children.

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Wednesday, April 9th 2008, 10:42pm

RE: Notice for returning to work

at my company you have to give 12 weeks notice to return to work from maternity leave so, yes, it is possible...

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, April 10th 2008, 7:59am

I vaguely remember having to tell work when I intended to return before I even started mat leave (I could be wrong though, my brain was removed along with the placenta), however if you did too, wouldn't that count as giving notice? And if they made this chang ein your absense (?sp) and didn't tell you, shouldn't they honour the previous rule?

Reg: Jul 5th 2006

Thursday, April 10th 2008, 9:35am

Hi sweetie, hope this helps:

You do not need to give notice of your return if you are going back to work at the end of maternity leave. You simply go to work on the day that you are due back:
If you are entitled to OML you will be due back to work on the day after the end of the 26 week period.

If you are entitled to AML you will be due back to work on the day after the end of the 52 week period.
If you want to return to work before the end of your maternity leave, you must give your employer at least 8 weeks notice of the date you will be returning. If you do not give this notice and just turn up at work before the end of your maternity leave, your employer can send you away until the end of your leave.

Note: if you are entitled to AML but only wish to take OML you must give 8 weeks notice of your return as you are in fact returning early.

The law does not allow you to work for two weeks after childbirth and this period is known as Compulsory Maternity Leave. You will not be allowed to return to work during this time.

lots of companies do have their own policies, but this is the law. ACAS is a good website to look at and they have a great helpline as well.

take care

Rosie
x
me 32 PCOS, DH 39 all good
trying for 3.5 years, 12 months clomid, 1 m/c April 05, Fresh IVF March 06 BFN, FET Oct 06 BFP - Twins!! Littlebits born 29.05.07 and 30.05.07 :]

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Thursday, April 10th 2008, 10:06am

Yes as far as I can see if you haven't been sent a copy of your new handbook, they will have to go with the previous guideline.

Personally, I'd call their bluff and say you have spoken to citizens advice about it :P

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

JoJo

Ace

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Thursday, April 10th 2008, 11:31am

as missy says, it seems that they have updated your contract without informing you. Its possible that if this has changed after you went on mat leave that this would not affect you. Contact your local cab before getting back to work and see if thats the case.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE