You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "Vegemite" started this thread

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Children: 6 yr old gorgeous girl, single mum now

Tuesday, February 26th 2008, 6:32pm

dentist/ thumb sucker

went to the dentist today, which was an event in itself. I am a "nervous patient" but he decided to do a filling then and there, as they now seem to do, with no needles (I don't mind needs I DO mind the high pitched drill- bad experience a few years back) anyways, I had to have it in front of dd so I amazed meeself and didn't cry I was a legend I really was! this dentist was the size of Jonah Lomu though so I didn't have much choice. Normally I get sedated and had to have a tooth pulled out becuase they knew I wouldn't cope with root canal work!

anyways, dd performed so after screaming the house down and clinging to me and kicking etc etc he got brief glances when she wailed so could see she has all her teeth :rolleyes:

DD is a real thumb sucker, always has been. She still spends a lot of the time with it in, day, night, at home, at preschool.

He told us it is already affecting the way the bones in her face develop, and not only will she needs braces if she carries on longer than a year but she will get a receding chin and pronounced to of her jaw/ mouth.

Sounds a bit extreme to me! We are not going to go in all gung ho and stop her- she understands what she is doing and we know in time we wil need to but I have no idea what to do or where to start. I thought until they lost their baby teeth they were alright to "grow out of it naturally" without doing lasting damage!

I am not planning on doing anything for at least a few weeks, and would refuse to do anything cruel, but if anyone has ideas please throw them our way.

poor poppet (well, we weren't saying that when she was screaming the dentists down :snigger:) it really is a comfort to her! :sadface:
adoption...after a typically long journey, approved November 05, linked with strawb December 05, Brought our princess home May 06, aged 21 months

single mum since dec 08, and very grateful for the FZ support through the whole lot xx

** CLICK TO SUPPORT FZ **

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, February 26th 2008, 8:08pm

He sounds like such a charmer!

I think I've said this before on here, but I sucked my thumb until I was at school and my teeth are fine. I'm not really sure what you can do about it. Is he suggesting handcuffs?

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Wednesday, February 27th 2008, 8:23pm

We have exactly the same problem with ds- i think i started a thread about it last year sometime(but can't remember how to add a link :rolleyes:.) My dentist has insisted that he stop sucking his thumb- and when we went last year told us he would need braces in six months. went back in January and she said his teeth are out of line at the front and will need some sort of "brace" thing in six months (again) to stop him sucking his thumb :rolleyes:

I've read a fair bit about this since, and as far as i can tell- the worst harm is done if they are still sucking when the adult teeth come through, so i have stopped worrying a little, but yes- how do you stop them??? I have absolutely no idea.
T always sucks his when he's tired, stressed or hungry, or sat having a cuddle/reading a story with us.
The best way I've found is through some sort of distraction. If ds tries to talk to me with his thumb in- I Ignore him until he takes it out.
If we are reading with him- we stop reading if his thumb goes in, and start agin when it comes out. He often wants to play with finger of the person he's sat with when cuddling - so we say if you want to hold a hand then you take the thumb out- sometimes works- sometimes not..

Sorry for a long post and highjacking slightly....but just wanted to say you're not alone- we're struggling too so if you find any miralcle ideas- chuck em our way too please!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rose" (Feb 27th 2008, 8:25pm)

• "victoria82" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 5th 2005

Wednesday, February 27th 2008, 9:29pm

DD is excatly thesame. she is a fulltime thumb sucker. her front top teeth are pushing forward because of how much she suck her thumb. we got an appt with the dentist next week for the first time for her. so it will be interesting to hear what they will say

i have tried everything to stop her from doing it but it hasnt work. even gone has far as putting a tape around her two fingers :innocent: but she knows how to take it off :snigger:

mrsjasper

Megastar

Wednesday, February 27th 2008, 9:48pm

Thinking about this, is it really possible she can alter the shape of her facial bones? I suppose its perfectly possible she can push her teeth forward but her jaw bone is pretty solid, even though she is so young. I was always under the impression that an over- or under-bite is something you are born with.

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Thursday, February 28th 2008, 5:03am

I sucked my thumb and I needed 10 years of braces, my roots of my teeth are now shortened.
I still have a massive over-bite, my teeth stuck out and my front teeth are pushed up further than the rest of them (sounds charming huh?)
I was offered surgery to correct this but didn't take it.

My first dentist told me that I had to stop with the braces (and the Clarinette, lucky me!)

I then went to another dentist when I was 17 and told them to do one last hard core year and they just pulled them in very hard and I have been wearing a fixed brace, top and bottom ever since.

Sooo, is this due to thumb sucking or dodgy genes? Who knows?
My thumb fits perfectly there in the gap though!

I have grown into my profile but for a while it was very sensitive... On top of it all I had really flappy ears (sticking out) so we had them tucked in when I was 12-13
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

mrsjasper

Megastar

Thursday, February 28th 2008, 8:34am

Quoted

Originally posted by Torisen
I sucked my thumb and I needed 10 years of braces, my roots of my teeth are now shortened.
I still have a massive over-bite, my teeth stuck out and my front teeth are pushed up further than the rest of them (sounds charming huh?)
I was offered surgery to correct this but didn't take it.

My first dentist told me that I had to stop with the braces (and the Clarinette, lucky me!)

I then went to another dentist when I was 17 and told them to do one last hard core year and they just pulled them in very hard and I have been wearing a fixed brace, top and bottom ever since.

Sooo, is this due to thumb sucking or dodgy genes? Who knows?
My thumb fits perfectly there in the gap though!

I have grown into my profile but for a while it was very sensitive... On top of it all I had really flappy ears (sticking out) so we had them tucked in when I was 12-13

Just to reassure mums who are worried about this, I've met Torisen and she is bloody gorgeous!

• "Vegemite" started this thread

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Children: 6 yr old gorgeous girl, single mum now

Saturday, March 8th 2008, 4:48pm

thanks guys. I like your ideas Rose as at least she will become aware of it a bit. She loves her thumb though, we talk about it a lot and she is really upset at the thought of not being able to use it. I think you can get some bitter stuff to put on but that sounds so cruel! :sadface:
adoption...after a typically long journey, approved November 05, linked with strawb December 05, Brought our princess home May 06, aged 21 months

single mum since dec 08, and very grateful for the FZ support through the whole lot xx

** CLICK TO SUPPORT FZ **

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Saturday, March 8th 2008, 4:50pm

Veggie, it really isn't that cruel. It worked for me and I got no traumatic problems from it... I did smoke for a while though and likes oral things and I am sure this is related to the comfort sucking (this is not dirty, meant lollies and things)
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Lexie

Star

• "Lexie" is no longer a member of FZ

Thursday, April 10th 2008, 4:07pm

My Daughter who is 14 now sucked her thumb from birth till she was 6. I had the usual off the dentist about it affecting her teeth etc etc but honestly she is fine, her teeth are fab, very straight and very normal. I must admit I tried everything to deter her from sucking but nothing worked, I had to wait till she grew out of it.
Me 34,DH, 32. DD15 from prev relationship. Scan 9/07 showed 2 [zx076] [zx076] My perfect little ladies arrived healthy 7 weeks early on 18/3/08 weighing 4lb 8 and 3lb13...Love my three pinkies

:girl: :girl: :girl:

Rufus

Star

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: One son, aged 8, daughter 1

Thursday, April 10th 2008, 7:45pm

My ds has only recently stopped sucking his thumb - he now sucks his teddy which is gross and it makes it smell!! So I'd stick to the thumb!!! xx
Keep smiling :happy:

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Children: 5 kids aged 21,18,14,13 and a little miracle born April 09

Friday, April 25th 2008, 12:25pm

Just wanted to say that thumb sucking doesn't always cause deformities of the mouth. My two youngest both were avid thumb suckers. My daughter is nearly 10 and still sucks hers if she is tired. She has the most beautiful straight teeth in the world! My niece never had dummy or thumb and still required braces to correct sticky out teeth for ages, so it can be just a genetic thing.

I used to insist that the kids didn't have thumbs in gobs when they were trying to talk to me when they were really small, but other than that the habit often just wears out. I would get a second opinion from another dentist if yours is adamant that thumb sucking will cause deformity, as I can't find any documentation to back that up.
Me 35,DH 36 (Severe Oligospermia.).
4th ICSI :BFP:
I have 4 lovely big kids
Thomas Derren (Thom) July 1990
Luke Benjamin August 1993
Harley John Oliver June 1997
Alexandria Aimee Jay (Alex) July 1998
Lochlan Cassius James April 2009 (4th attempt at ICSI)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE