You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "Peppermint Patty" started this thread

Reg: Jul 17th 2006

Sunday, May 4th 2008, 2:08pm

Prescription drugs that stimulate lactation

does anyone know anything about any tablets? if they are good or bad? if you have stopped bf'ing for a few weeks can you take these and start again?
Peppermint Patty

Me 29 - DH 34
PCOS & Male Factor
TTC 2yrs
3 x Clomid - 3 x BFN
Ovarian Drilling Nov 06
ICSI March 07 - BFP 4/4/7- OHSS - All Gone 12/4/7
ICSI Aug 07 - DR July 13th - Shock NATURAL BFP 25th July 07! - baby boy march 08
May 09 - VERY SHOCKING NATURAL BFP!!!! - Baby Girl Jan 10

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Sunday, May 4th 2008, 2:38pm

Have you googled "La Leche League"?

This is a breastfeeding specific group, and they have a forum where I am sure you will find people who have been in this situation.

Here is a fantastic study which shows the importance of restarting breastfeeding is actually the initiation of suckling at the breast again: http://www.indianpediatrics.net/july1999/july-700-703.htm

Breast pump stimulation can help as well, but if your baby still knows how to latch, then that is the best stimulation, even if at the beginning you need to feed formula afterwards until your breasts re-establish lactation.

But most studies show it will take up to a month to fully re-establish breastfeeding.

There are different talbets, hormones & nasal sprays that you can take, and the oxytocin (which gives the let-down reflex) appears to be the most successful, but their success is not guaranteed.

If you do take prescription drugs, then make sure you dont take eg fenugreek at the same time because then you are overloading your system and the two might interfere with each other.

GOOD LUCK!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Sunday, May 4th 2008, 4:23pm

I got (Syntocinon) oxytocin nasal spray when I had mastitis.
It helps you with the let down reflex.

I read that you can relactate if you want too even though you haven't given birth.

The BF support lady at my local clinic showed a lady how to attach a tube to her nipple so that her daughter would get off the bottle. This meant that she also got the nipple stimulation which increased her milk supply.
You use a syringe to push milk down the tube.

I stopped BF before my FET cycle late last year and I am still lactating if I squeeze.
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Sunday, May 4th 2008, 9:22pm

I know of two medications that can help with lactation - when I was a student we used to had them out to patients for a 3 day course if they were not lactating. One is an anti-nausea medication and the other is also a very mild antidepressant and is one that I used for PND so it can kill 2 birds with one stone... so to speak... I would not use either without supervision though. If you want the details then let me know.

Oh, I have also seen the latter one work for a woman who had never breast-fed before but was adopting a new-born - she started taking them a month or so before baby was due and when the birth-mother handed the baby over (baby had just been born - as in minutes old) she was able to establish breast-feeding from the get-go.

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

• "Peppermint Patty" started this thread

Reg: Jul 17th 2006

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 10:43am

thanks for the replies. i spoke to my cousin who also just had a baby and had problems with milk - she has tried these tablets and they didnt work for her, but i will speak to my gp soon (seems odd that she never mentioned these when she knew i wanted to bf and had problems with my milk)

my family carry a genetic blood disorder and from what i have googled, some women with the same condition (including my mum) have had problems with lactation.

i think i might have to draw a final line under this and make my peace with it all. some things as much as you would like to do them, just arent meant to be.

thank you for all your help and sorry that i have been such a pain on this topic
Peppermint Patty

Me 29 - DH 34
PCOS & Male Factor
TTC 2yrs
3 x Clomid - 3 x BFN
Ovarian Drilling Nov 06
ICSI March 07 - BFP 4/4/7- OHSS - All Gone 12/4/7
ICSI Aug 07 - DR July 13th - Shock NATURAL BFP 25th July 07! - baby boy march 08
May 09 - VERY SHOCKING NATURAL BFP!!!! - Baby Girl Jan 10

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 11:47am

not a pain at all.

make your peace, whatever your decision, because if you beat yourself up about it now you will find it hard to let go. you need to make a decision and then get on and do your best with that decision, and most importantly, enjoy being a mummy :D

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE