You are not logged in.

Unread posts

compley

Megastar

• "compley" started this thread

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 7:36am

any ideas for milky foods/desserts for babies?

The last few weeks I have been trying to think of ideas for milk based foods/desserts, as H hasn't been taking much in the way of milk. We add milk to his cereal, and have made cheese sauces, rice pudding, used fromage frais, grated in cheese, but am trying to think of anything else I can do, to add a bit of variety!

Was thinking of custard powder, and then making it up with his milk, but does anyone know if they are suitable for babies, or do they contain too much sugar, and have seen they have salt in too. does anyone know of any similar type recipe I could make myself, or any other thinkgs I could make for him?

Thanks

xxx

<

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 8:40am

He really does not need anything sweet as his age. He doesn't know of sweets, puddings etc.
I give cheese sticks, milk as snacks, cook macaroni in milk and then mix in a bit of flour and cheese.

Z goes on and off foods. At the moment he is a vegetarian (his choice) so we just give him peas, plain rice, cheese etc.
2 weeks a go he was crazy for gnocci.
4 months ago it was chicken and before that fish.

He regulates his own food but we don't give him too much choice.

He eats plain greek yoghurt after most meals now and always porrige oats cooked with milk in the morning (plain, no jam etc).
He doesn't know anything sweeter so he thinks that an apple is the height of fashion :P
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 8:41am

RE: any ideas for milky foods/desserts for babies?

Struggling here too Laura!

I had the same thinking about the custard and one of my baby meal books mentions custard powder,but like you I thought it would have too much sugar in ?(

sorry not helping much am I ? Hoping you'll get lots of replies!

M doesn't seem to like anything milk based so I'm really up against it!

I'll let you know if I find anything

xxxxxx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "csam" (May 7th 2008, 8:42am)

Torisen

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 10:31am

You can make your own custard and make it reduced sugar.

Active time: 20 min Start to finish: 20 min
Servings: Makes about 2 cups.

ingredients
1 1/2 cups whole milk
6 large egg yolks
1/3 cup caster sugar

preparation
Bring milk just to a boil in a 3-quart heavy saucepan and remove from heat. Whisk together yolks, sugar, and a pinch of salt in a bowl and add hot milk in a slow stream, whisking. Pour custard into pan and cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened and a thermometer registers 170°F. Pour through a fine sieve into a pitcher and serve warm.

---

I make ice cream similar to this but I always use just half the amount of sugar and add a vanilla pod too. For custard I would use less than half and skip the salt.
I would try the plain yoghurt first though.

Then there is the question of from what age to give them eggs... The eggwhite is supposed to be the most allergenic bit so yolks are better... You need good eggs for this too.
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 10:37am

Homecooked custard is a fab idea. You can reduce the sugar as Torisen suggests and the pour it over poached pears, banana or cooked apple. Yum... YUM!!!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 11:18am

This would be a great thread to make sticky because it's something that comes up quite often. If people would like to post their milky recipes on here and if there are enough, I'll make it a permanent fixture for reference.

Peppa

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 3:51pm

I know its an obvious one but porridge is always good!
You can make it up with part water part milk or just use his milk and then there is loads you can add to change the flavour and texture.

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

kski

Ace

Reg: Mar 26th 2006

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 3:58pm

Greek Yoghurt ! m would live on it if he could -

Waitrose do an organic vanilla custard - very good

or you make one up as Bells - said -

if you are in a rush there is a Hippo Vanilla and Cacao Custard type thing which ours love -

Yes I know its shop bought - but its handy for those emergency moments -
DAD to twins

compley

Megastar

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 8:16pm

Thanks for all the ideas, the custard recipe was just what I have been after, have been trawling the net for days trying to find one!

Michelle, have to say I agree with you about the porridge! H loves it, and I mix it with his milk, so sneak some milk in! and add different fruits, for variety.

I bought some natural yogurt today, and mixed it with some apple.

Will try the greek yogurt too, have to say I have never tried that, this weaning has made me try some new things too!...and Kski, always good to have a few emergency stores I think!!

Bells, if there are enough ides, think it would be really good to have it as a sticky thread, like I say have spent quite a bit of time trying to find recipes that can help with calcium/milk intake, but aren't rammed full of sugar etc!

xxx

<

KIRSTY G

Reg: Sep 27th 2006

Children: 7 year old little man, and B/G twins

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 8:40pm

How about shredded wheat Laura (bitesize or whole)? If you soak them in milk for 30 seconds or so, they go soft enough and hold a lot of milk ...

Can either give them to H to feed himself or mush it up and you feed him ... We smoosh raisins in them too

compley

Megastar

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 8:53pm

Thanks Kirsty, got some shredded wheat the the other week, and H likes them, they really soak the milk up don't they?....raisins added in sounds nice, will try that ( i have raisins mixed in my golden syrup oats so simple, and its yummy! not quite as healthy as the breakfasts I am feeding H :innocent: )

<

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "compley" (May 7th 2008, 8:53pm)

KIRSTY G

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 8:54pm

It never is though, is it?
Really though, you're eating all the crap in the house to save him from it :innocent:

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 8:54pm

Bit confused, ladies. Surely you get a sugar free, totally unsweetened custard powder up there? We do here and have to add sugar to taste. I generally put 3-4 teaspoons sugar into 500ml milk with about 45ml custard powder and 50ml water to mix up the powder and that ends up a good thickish consistency that both C and I love.
Otherwise C loves his yoghurt (has a pot every day)
Cheese
Omelette filled with cheese - rich, but he loves it
Macaroni cheese
One problem with eggs though - it is not advised to give eggs to babies till they are at least 8 months old. If there is a family history of food allergies they say no eggs (not even the yolks) till at least a year.

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

KIRSTY G

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 8:58pm

Where were you a month ago rene?

Tried B with eggs a month or so ago, and she got a really sore bum ... Andy's side of the family has allergies to pollen/pet hair etc so we knew there was an increased chance of food intolerances ... But I didn't know eggs was one to be wary of ...

I do now though :O

Thanks hun

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 9:16pm

Just in case anyone wants to give cheese sauce a go but doesn't realise how absolutely easy peasy it is...

All you need is a tablespoon of butter (not margarine), a heaped tablespoon of plain flour, about three quarters of a pint of milk and broken up bits of cheese.

Use a saucepan and a small whisk for this.

Melt the butter so that it's liquid but not bubbling, whisk in the flour until you have a thick paste in the bottom of the pan. Heat and stir briskly for a minute. Slowly whisk in the milk until it's the same consistency as double cream. simmer and stir for a few minutes and bung in the cheese. Whisk it while the cheese melts and then taste it to see if it's cheesy enough for you.

Use it for cauli, broccoli, over new potatoes, macaroni, fish..... yum!

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 9:19pm

Sorry to hear that she had a bad reaction to the eggs. Hopefully it will be a once-off occurence and she will be okay when you re-introduce them later.
The foods to be wary of are usually eggs, fish, nuts and... well... fresh dairy. In the presence of a family histroy of food allergies they say wait with eggs, white fish and milk till over a year and nuts, shell-fish, and dark meat fish like tuna are to wait till over 3 years.

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 9:20pm

My H/V suggested dairy lea triangles spread on toast..........

xxxx

Torisen

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 10:54pm

Rene, the only custard powder I have seen here is horrible. Birds instant custard. It contains very little goodness and just lots of crap, better just to give straight milk.

"Sugar, Modified Starch, Whey Powder, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Cream Powder, Milk Proteins, Thickeners (Carboxymethyl Cellulose, Carrageenan), Flavourings, Colours (Beta Carotene, Annatto), Allergens: Contains Milk"
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Reg: Jul 21st 2006

Thursday, May 8th 2008, 5:40pm

hi

oatibix, weetabix, readybreak, shredded wheat, porridge, mums home made rice pud so you can reduce the sugar, white sauce or cheese sauce (you can make like bells suggested, or instead of plain flour use the same amount of cornflour , i find it much creamier with cornflour)

custard but dont add the sugar,

add baby rice to almost any puree fruit or veg, ie, apple, pear, carrot, swede, broccoli, cauliflower

i will try and think of some more :D
ME 32, pcos, DH 47,
DH had Tese tx Jan 06
IVF/ ICSI July 06 ,
30 eggs collected, 2 transfered,
Had OHSS and OMG, :BFP:

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE