Unread posts

elmo

Ace

• "elmo" started this thread

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Friday, September 19th 2008, 8:32pm

bf baby keeps being sick??

hi,

had to take A to the drs last fri as she kept sicking up after every feed. dr said as long as she appeared well and keeps having wet nappies not to worry.
a week later and she is still bringing up 80% of her feeds!! she is still weeing but am worried how long should i let this go on?
has anyone else had this?
Proud mom of the most beautiful twin girlies!!
2 angels in heaven, never forgotten

Reg: Oct 10th 2005

Friday, September 19th 2008, 8:35pm

Hi elmo..

I haven't any advice hunni ?( didn't want to read and run tho. Am sure someone will be along soon with advice.

xx

Me 39, DH 39 ICSI Nov '06 BFP

FET Dec '10 - ET Dec 16th - Test Day 31/12/10

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Friday, September 19th 2008, 9:38pm

Elmo, is she waking for feeds? Alert and normal between sleeps? Developing at a similar rate to her sister? Weeing and pooing? If so then she is getting enough. Some babies are more efficient feeders than others so will be able to get more milk out of a boob in the same amount of time. Its also difficult to tell how much milk she is taking at each feed so she may only be bringing up 50% or 30%, either way if the answer is yes to all the questions above, she is still getting enough. She may be greedy and taking in more than her little tummy can handle, she may be doing that because she just likes to suck and be next to mummy, is it the same twin you were asking about frequently sucking recently?. It must be quite annoying to go to all the effort of producing all that lovely milk and have her sick it back up, but it is still early days so she will gradually learn not to take in so much that she is sick.

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Friday, September 19th 2008, 10:03pm

DS had quite bad reflux and would manage to wet me down completely, bra, top, trousers, socks, knickers and all. We had the familiar stripping routine together.
He got enough even though it was quite hard for us, he did not seem to mind at all!

My doc was very relaxed about it all and we just got on with it.
It stopped around 6 months :)
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, September 19th 2008, 10:50pm

Hi elmo,

Cracking advice there from Mrs J and Tor and we know how scary it can be when something seems to be going wrong.

It's certainly very true that a baby who enjoys to suck will often come up for air and sick up because the by-product of the sucking is milk and their tummy is so tiny it can't cope. If baby was going every four hours and feeding for five minutes then sicking up a LOT then yes, problem... but do you have a baby that wants to suck for a long time, frequently.... and then sick up? The other scenario is that maybe she's swallowing some air, the milk is sitting on that air and a burp or sudden movement is making her sick. In this case you could introduce winding during feeding... so you feed for five minutes then burp, five minutes and burp. At the end of the feed burp twice.

If she's thriving, is pink, alert, passing urine, showing an interest and remaining the same weight or gaining weight steadily (not losing drastically) then the chances are that she's a well baby and that she's just enjoying sucking from you.

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Friday, September 19th 2008, 10:54pm

And as Torisen says, if it is reflux you can manage it and it does come to an end

elmo

Ace

• "elmo" started this thread

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Saturday, September 20th 2008, 12:22pm

thanks girls! is reassuring to know its nothing something realy bad!!

Quoted

Originally posted by mrsjasper
is it the same twin you were asking about frequently sucking recently?.

yes is the same twin! she is actually bigger than her sister! she feeds frequently and seems to be happy (she usually giggles after shes been sick!!)

this morning i have been switching my nipple for her dummy when i feel she's had enough but keeping her in the feeding position so she kinda thinks its still me and she fell for it!!
think she is just enjoying the sucking!!

sorry if i am being a worrier :O just hard to know what to do sometimes!!
Proud mom of the most beautiful twin girlies!!
2 angels in heaven, never forgotten

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, September 20th 2008, 12:40pm

You're not being a worrier, I think sometimes you're just so involved in everything that it's hard to put your finger on a cause and believe in yourself... it's all such a big responsibility!

It sounds exactly as if she's sucking for comfort, getting too much milk and as a result sicking it up at the end. It stands to reason really, where else is ALL that milk going to go??

The plus side is that she's effectively increased your milk supply there because you're clearly making more than your babies can handle. Feeding twins for two months and havint TOO MUCH MILK!!!! Blimey woman, a pat on the back for you!!!

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Saturday, September 20th 2008, 5:41pm

lol

my heffalump JJ is a chubby monster now at 14 months and wearing clothes that his brother was wearing at 20 months!

however JJ is also known as Mr Creosote..... just this evening I was totally covered in vomit. He get it worse when he coughs after food or pressure is applied to his tummy but sometimes it is simply just overeating.

but... do take your child to the doctor's if she seems in distress after vomiting because too much can cause acidic burning & can be treated simply by medicine (the burn that is, not necessarily the reflux).

Reg: Mar 6th 2006

Sunday, September 21st 2008, 10:25pm

Mine vomited with formula and breastmilk, I used to express about 100ml each and they still throw loads of it up. As it is now they are still sicky babies and they are 9mth!
Melanie
1st IUI cylce 10 March 06 BFN
2nd IUI cycle 19th June 06 BFN
3rd IUI cycle 6th Sep 06 BFN
4th IVF 31st March at St Barts :BFP:

Daisy born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.16am 4lb 13.5 oz
Nuala born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.18am 5lb 10oz

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE