You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "MSH5983" started this thread

Reg: Jun 25th 2007

Children: Lemmy - 2008 and Diddy - 2010

Friday, August 22nd 2008, 9:41pm

best way to make formula???

Hi, im getting confussed.
im currently mixed feeding (breast & bottle) to get some weight on my lil man.
ive had mixed advice on making bottles up. what do you guys do?

1- store the cooled boiled water in the fridge then add the formula powder when baby needs it

or

2- make up the bottles with the formula powder already mixed in and then store it in the fridge until baby needs it

ive asked health visitors and they all say something different

Soooz

Star

Reg: Apr 3rd 2008

Children: 2 sons - Natural shock 99 & ICSI miracle 04

Friday, August 22nd 2008, 9:45pm

RE: best way to make formula???

:hi: I always prefered putting just the boiling water in the fridge and adding formula when it was needed. that way they last longer and fresher. i did the same whenever i went out and about - you can get like little plastic tubs with just enough formula for one bottle.... hope this helps x
:flowerbasket:

Proud mum to two sons - natural unexpected in 1999 :8o: and ICSI in 2004 : D

We must let go of the life we had planned;
to have the life waiting for us

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Friday, August 22nd 2008, 9:45pm

Cuurent goverment guidelines say to make the feed fresh, so either boil the water and use it stright away, or store the water in the fridge in your pre sterelized bottles and only add the powder as and when it is needed.
This is due to some research which suggested a small risk of bacteria developing if the milk and water are mixed in advance.

Soooz

Star

Reg: Apr 3rd 2008

Children: 2 sons - Natural shock 99 & ICSI miracle 04

Friday, August 22nd 2008, 9:47pm

:snigger: spooky posting at the same time and saying the same thing
:flowerbasket:

Proud mum to two sons - natural unexpected in 1999 :8o: and ICSI in 2004 : D

We must let go of the life we had planned;
to have the life waiting for us

Lexie

Star

• "Lexie" is no longer a member of FZ

Friday, August 22nd 2008, 9:48pm

Hi chick.

When I had C 14 years ago it was make the bottles up and store in fridge. I used to make 6 up at a time then just warm in a jug of hot water. Now you are advised to make the feed as you need.

I usually take the cartons out with me tho as its easier. In the house I put the hot water into bottle, leave it to cool a while then add my formula. I have one of those Avent milk dispensers where you add the amount of scoops needed, then just pour into the bottle. 10x easier and good to take out as it has 3 compartments.

When twins were small, I would put the bottles in my Avent thermabag and take them up to bed as this kept them warm for up to 4 hrs. Then I would just add the powder out of my dispenser when needed. Bloody clart on if you ask me but suppose we have to go with the times.

Good luck chick xx
Me 34,DH, 32. DD15 from prev relationship. Scan 9/07 showed 2 [zx076] [zx076] My perfect little ladies arrived healthy 7 weeks early on 18/3/08 weighing 4lb 8 and 3lb13...Love my three pinkies

:girl: :girl: :girl:

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Friday, August 22nd 2008, 9:55pm

Put the bottle in the fridge (without adding powder) with 1oz short, then when you need it boil the kettle and add the extra 1oz water and that way you get the perfect temp for baby's feed.

Reg: Jul 18th 2007

Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 7:17am

^^ Agree with the above.

I was told and read on the UK guidelines website that you can make them up as you need them *Not ideal when half asleep at stupid o'clock* or cooled boiled water in sterilised bottles and add powder per feed.

When I switched from Boob to bottle I made them up 12hrs in advance but found that the milk kind of turned when I warmed it, so not really good for bubs giving them warm sour milk.

Wednesday, September 3rd 2008, 12:49pm

Thanks everyone.
soz for the delay in replying but been on holiday.
been adding powder as i need it so glad that i seem to be doing the right thing.

thanks again for the helpful advice

Reg: Jul 18th 2007

Thursday, September 4th 2008, 6:31am

Quoted

Originally posted by Rivka
Put the bottle in the fridge (without adding powder) with 1oz short, then when you need it boil the kettle and add the extra 1oz water and that way you get the perfect temp for baby's feed.

Thank you.

Since reading this its how I've been making up bottles this way for most feeds.

God send for 3am feeds as the kettle takes a shorter time to boil than heating the whole thing in the bottle warmer :)

EDITED. because I'm a nugget

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rainbow Sprite" (Sep 4th 2008, 6:31am)

Tuesday, September 9th 2008, 2:25pm

ooh, tip for mrsanto -
get urself a thermos flask, fill it with boiled water before u go to bed and then the hot water is there to heat up the bottle, so EVEN quicker at 3am.
#thermos has been a godsend!!! :)

• "Flowertot" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 6th 2008

Monday, October 6th 2008, 10:17pm

Sounds like a sound idea that MSH, wished I thought of that!
Jen

Ella Louise Born Tuesday 12 September at 11.48pm weighing 6lb 14oz

Mum to a 2 year old little princess born after 2 rounds of IUI.

(Previously ZooKeeper/Twinkle Fairy/Fairy Girl/)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE