You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "MSH5983" started this thread

Reg: Jun 25th 2007

Children: Lemmy - 2008 and Diddy - 2010

Monday, October 13th 2008, 6:50pm

Breast AND bottle feeding

Does anyone combine feeding, for example,
only breast feeding first thing in the morning and last feed at night and give a bottle during the daytime?

If you do, how old was your baby when you started this, and does it work???

My little one is 11 weeks old now and i dont think i have enough milk so i want to give him bottles during the day.

Any suggestions other than talk to health visitor coz ive spoken to 2 and they both say different things

Thanks ladies!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, October 13th 2008, 7:00pm

Why don't you think you have enough milk? Do you definitely want to continue breastfeeding?

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Max born March 07 - thanks to frozen embryo transfer, our little miracle

Tuesday, October 14th 2008, 6:40pm

In my opinion hun its nothing more than a slippery slope to full time bottle feeding. I can only speak from experience but i know when i slipped the odd bottle in it would just be so tempting to give another.

If you are able and happy to breastfeed then keep going if its what you want. The more you feed yourself then your body will naturally supply all the milk your baby requires. If you keep missing feeds your body will produce less.

As I said i can only talk from what happened with my experience but its such a faff washing/steralising and making up feeds when you can just get your booby out instead.

Good luck xxxxx

5 x ICSI b.f.n
1 x FET resulting in my gorgeous son born 2007

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Tuesday, October 14th 2008, 6:47pm

Like Glitzy said I wouldn't get into it if you truly want to continue with breastfeeding. With DD1 she had one bottle a day from about five months I think (might have been a little earlier) and it all worked out great for us. Fed her until 12 months dropping bottles entirely again at around 8 months.

With DD2, tried the same thing and it all went horribly wrong and consequently she has been 100% bottle fed since around 12 weeks or a little after. Admittedly there were other contributory factors but I heartily regret going anywhere near the bottles second time around.

Tuesday, October 14th 2008, 6:51pm

The problem is that my lil man was 7lb 9oz when he was born and as of last thursday, only weighs 8lb 7oz now. He is so diddy and me and his dad arent diddy.
Basically the health visitor wants me to top up with formula after every feed but its too complicated.

Her plan is that i
1. feed from me
then 2. top up with formula
and 3. express after each feed

I need to go out of the house and if i continue like that i'll go insane and have to stay in.

Here's my pattern at the mo:

5.00am breastfeed
8.30am breastfeed
10.00am formula
1.00/2.00pm breastfeed
3.00/3.30pm formula
6.00pm formula
8.30/9.00pm breastfeed

surely my body would still produce milk around these times?

Arrrggggghhhh, this is so stressful!

edit:- plus he has reflux and is on domperidone to stop him being sick and that has to be given 1/2 an hour before a feed so that it works! ?(

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "MSH5983" (Oct 14th 2008, 7:00pm)

Rivka

Tuesday, October 14th 2008, 6:57pm

Look, I bet you could find at least twenty mums on this site right now who have been told by HVs that their babies aren't gaining enough weight quickly enough. Its their standard mantra.

First question, is the chart she is using for breastfed babies or bottlefed babies? If the latter, then there is your answer. Second question, Are you happy with how he is? Meaning is he happy, does he look healthy and does he feed well? If yes to all of these then it doesn't matter one fig what the wretched chart says!

Both my daughters were "underweight" and both are now absolutely fine and dandy (as they were at the time anyway!!!). Give yourself a break, if you want to keep feeding him yourself then carry on doing so, its as simple as that! :happy:

Tuesday, October 14th 2008, 7:02pm

He falls under the 0.4th centile on the weight chart so the HV's keep ringing me to see how im getting on. He is very happy but so tiny.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, October 14th 2008, 7:04pm

Quoted

Originally posted by MSH5983

Her plan is that i
1. feed from me
then 2. top up with formula
and 3. express after each feed

Tosh!

Why give formula and then express? Your breastpump is less effective at milking your breast than your baby meaning that you'll stimulate your milk supply less..... Lunacy!

Rivka's right. If he's well, pink, weeing, pooing (once a week at least) if he's alert, showing an interest in you, has good muscle tone and is active then he's ok. If YOU are happy that he's ok then he's ok. If there is nothing apart from a chart saying that he isn't ok then he's ok.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, October 14th 2008, 7:06pm

Quoted

Originally posted by MSH5983
He falls under the 0.4th centile on the weight chart so the HV's keep ringing me to see how im getting on. He is very happy but so tiny.

Ok, I'd be tempted to give a feed during the night (in addition to what you're already doing) for the time being to increase your milk supply. After a week of that I'd drop a formula feed and replace it with a breastfeed.

How long did the reflux take to diagnose? Did he lose weight before this point and has he been gaining since?

Tuesday, October 14th 2008, 7:11pm

He went from 7lb9 to 6lb12 in the first week, then about 5 weeks ago he lost 4oz. the problem with a feed in the night is that he doesnt go back to sleep after it, i tried that and went around like a zombie.

Rivka

Tuesday, October 14th 2008, 7:13pm

Didn't catch that he has reflux. DD1 had this too, really quite badly and was very small. She was also happy, lively and strong. I chose to ignore the HVs advice and am glad for it.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, October 14th 2008, 7:15pm

Right ok, so we can do without that eh? Does he sleep after the 5am feed or are you up at that point?

How are YOU eating and drinking? Do you get enough rest?

Do you really want to carry on breastfeeding or do you want to give bottles?

Tuesday, October 14th 2008, 7:19pm

i want to continue, but i think im getting too stressed out about it that it isnt helping me at all. he does go back to sleep at 5, but its a light sleep, so again, that doesnt help.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, October 14th 2008, 7:21pm

Ok, if you want to do it then take out the stress. Is there anything else stressfull other than these issues your HV has with his weight?

Tuesday, October 14th 2008, 7:24pm

isnt having a baby enough stress?? lol

nah, im just getting so worried about him not growing

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, October 14th 2008, 7:32pm

Does he settle between feeds? He's going from 9pm to 5am so he isn't hungry then, suggesting that your milk is satisfactory for him. Do you feel like you have enough milk? Does he refuse feeds or have short inadequate feeds? What I'm getting at is, does he have an appetite and is it being satisfied?

If he has an appetite and your milk is satisfying him, he's well in all other ways and his weight is an upward trend then... I can't think of anything that sounds like cause for concern.

Tuesday, October 14th 2008, 7:35pm

he only seems satisfied in the evenings. i really have to push him to last until 10am after his 8am feed.
Plus, i am feeding for up to an hour at times, and from both breasts.
thats really where the feeling of not enough milk comes from. plus i never feel full at all.

Rivka

Tuesday, October 14th 2008, 7:39pm

I'm sorry you're having a hard time and the weight loss is naturally frightening.

Thought this might help. Here is a record I kept at 8 weeks with DD1 when we were really struggling with reflux, sleep and feeding:

5am-7am Feeding and colicky - sick
7-930am Sleep
930-1015 Feed - sick
1015-1040 - bath, sick
1040-1100 Falling asleep
1100-1400 Sleep
1400 - 1430 Feed, sick
1430 - 1515 Awake, happy
1515 - 1600 Settling for sleep
1600 - 1730 Grizzly, wind?
1730-1750 Feed, sick
1750 - 1820 Sleep
1820 - 1845 Awake
1845 - 2000 Sleep
2000 - 2005 Feed
2005 - 2015 Sleep
2015 - 2100 Feed
2100 -2130 Sleep, woke up for poo
2130 - 2200 Awake, back downstairs
2200 - 2338 (I love the accuracy of that, the desperation :rolleyes: ) Sleep upstairs
2338 - 0015 Bottlefeed, sick
0015 - 0030 Settling
0030 - 0200 Sleep
0200 - 0215 Feed
0215 - 0345 Settling (I shudder to think now!!!)
0345 - 0530 Sleep
0530 - 0545 Feed
0545 - 0830 Sleep
0830 - 0900 Feed
0900 - 0930 Awake & happy (Can't imagine I was though :snigger: )
0930 - 1030 Feed & Settling
1030 - 1100 Sleep (crossed out and replaced with) Feed
1100 - 1250 Feed, cry repeat
1250 sleep...at this point it stops, I imagine I was too busy sobbing to write.

Anyway, don't know if that helps at all but hope it gives a little reassurance as DD1 is now a robust two and a half year old.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, October 14th 2008, 7:46pm

It's a compounding problem unfortunately. If you replace breastfeeds with formula feeds then you produce less milk. If you have less milk you feel compelled to feed more formula... it's a vicious cycle that leaves Mums upset that they don't have enough milk and makes HVs and family members push formula... and eventually breastfeeding stops.

Another factor is that the body produces more milk during the night so dropping night feeds will reduce milk production.

It really does depend what you want to do. If you are happy carrying on the way you have been then I really can't see that the hv's suggestions are going to help you continue to effectively breastfeed.

Ask her some questions next time you see her. If she can explain to you the beneficial effects of replacing suckling with expressing for your milk production then I'd love to hear that. Her idea of offering formula will certainly put weight onto him faster and you will have a heavier baby..... is that the ultimate goal? To cease breastfeeding in favour of bottlefeeding so that he's heavier? Why is that good, what will him weighing more mean? He already suffers with digestive problems, will formula help that or potentially make it worse?

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Tuesday, October 14th 2008, 7:48pm

Hi

I'm sorry that things are difficult just now.

My little girl dropped a centile at about 11 weeks and then another centile not long after.

I knew in my heart that she was absolutely fine, I was advised to top up, I was stubborn though and didn't!

I was advised to feed M every 2-2.5 hours, I also fed her in the night(for what seemed like forever!).

I hope that things work out for you whatever you decide, M would never take a bottle and I'm really glad now that I carried on BF

Sorry, not much help but the H/V was always on my case, and M is a perfect size now(as she always was).

Take care

xxxxx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "csam" (Oct 14th 2008, 7:49pm)

Tuesday, October 14th 2008, 7:52pm

OMg, thats seems like a long day all those times.

i think ill keep goin how i am and hope my milk keeps comin.
thanks for ur help/advise ladies, its much appreciated

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, October 14th 2008, 7:56pm

:smile:

I just went off to hunt down csam to ask her to post here. Search her posts and read the traumas she had with M. Poor csam was beside herself! KirstyG had the same problems with her dinky dot too.

I agree, carry on as you are, look after yourself, eat, drink plenty, rest well and try not to worry. If the weight continues to go on and you 're happy that he's well then chances are that he is.

Tuesday, October 14th 2008, 8:02pm

will do, thanks again g2g now feedtime XxXX

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Tuesday, October 14th 2008, 8:04pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Bells
:smile:

I just went off to hunt down csam to ask her to post here. Search her posts and read the traumas she had with M. Poor csam was beside herself! .

Tis true :happy:

M has never regained her centile's, I can honestly say I got to a point where it really didn't bother me in the end, she was rolling/crawling/standing before I had chance to blink and I knew that there couldn't possibly be anything wrong.

Is it's worrying though, I know that, but in your heart of hearts you know your little boy best and you are best placed to know if he's 'ill' or *just* small.

xxxxxxx

elmo

Ace

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Wednesday, October 15th 2008, 11:49am

i think the trouble with HV's is that they are so obsessed with their bloody charts!!!
heavier doesn't mean healthier, you know your baby better than anyone and as long as he appears well and is weeing and pooing as bells said then stick with the breastfeeding if its what you really want to do hun x
Proud mom of the most beautiful twin girlies!!
2 angels in heaven, never forgotten

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Wednesday, October 15th 2008, 1:35pm

Ok I had the same with #1 but I never had a HV in my country so it was up to me to decide everything!

I just got him checked up for weight & height at his monthly vaccinations

What I did with the boys at 3 months was stick them on a 3 hour feeding schedule

so......

7am feed both boobs
10am feed
1pm feed
4pm feed
6:30pm bath
7pm feed in the dark for night time
10pm I would wake him up ever so gently for a feed

then he would wake around 1am & 4am by himself - sometimes - sometimes he would sleep from 10pm until 3am

then the day would start again at 7am

it was important for me to get him on a schedle as I had to go back to work a few weeks later but he loved the schedule

the trick is to stick to the times even if he is asleep - get him used to feeding regularly

Thursday, October 16th 2008, 3:39pm

Hi all. soz for the abrupt exit the other day, but DS was screaming for food.
I've thought long and hard and I've decided to go just formula now.
I was quite sad about it, but at the end of the day, he was becoming fractious at feed times and i was becoming too stressed.

Thanks to all who gave advise to me, it is honestly helpful and helped me to make my decision in the end.

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Friday, October 17th 2008, 5:33pm

that's a shame

just be gentle to yourself when you wean though - dont go from many feeds to no feeds in a few days, otherwise you'll get mastitus

also your hormones will go crazy now whilst your body settles itself out, so dont worry if you get depressed whilst you are weaning off breast - it is mostly your hormones making you feel like that

however, I know you have made your mind up, but 2 days is not too late if you did want to restart. that's why I stuck to a schedule because my son was getting fractious and I know how anxious a crying baby makes a new mum. once I knew the schedule and so did he we both became a lot less anxious as we knew when feeds were.

Saturday, October 18th 2008, 8:37am

I've been feeding DS myself sa much as possible but ive only been able to feed him 2x a day (early am and late pm). there's nothing else the rest of the day. this morning there wasnt even anything there so looks like my body didnt take long to slow down!

I has DS weighed and since ive been mainly bottle feeding he put on 10oz in one week so i think he definately needed that weigh boost from the formula.

I didnt think about hormone changes to be honest. I'll make sure i keep on top of them and try not to get down by keeping myself busy.

Thanks again for the advice XxXx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, October 18th 2008, 10:51am

You've done great feeding for over two months, well done!

I hope your body settles down quickly and you feel happier now you've made a decision.

:)

x

elmo

Ace

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Thursday, November 13th 2008, 7:25pm

well done for 2 months of breastfeeding chick!!

clap
Proud mom of the most beautiful twin girlies!!
2 angels in heaven, never forgotten

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE