You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "philippa_s" started this thread

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Sunday, December 21st 2008, 11:24pm

Will starting my period affect my supply?

Hi

I started my period this morning (bit soon for my liking) and was wondering if this would affect my milk supply at all?

Had a night of constant feeding again (it had settled down) and gabby doesn't seem to be satisfied?

Just wondered if it could have anything to do with hormone changes etc. to do with period.

Any advice welcome please ladies

P x
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Sunday, December 21st 2008, 11:41pm

Hi,

No, it won't affect your supply at all. The only thing that will affect supply is missing feeds and/or supplementing with formula (which tends to coincide with Mums feeling that baby isn't satisfied). If she's feeding frequently then make sure you're fuelling your own fire by eating well, drinking well and of course, remembering that you have a brand new baby so not doing too much (yes, I know being a Mum of two three days before Christmas is rather on the hectic side!!!) Just take it easy on yourself and remember that the first three months are basically sleepless when you're breastfeeding, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your milk/feeding.

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Monday, December 22nd 2008, 8:24am

Bells is right. AF will not stop your supply. At 5 and a half weeks she is just about hitting her next growth spurt. Each growth spurt means an increased demand for feeds - that happens so that your body can get the message that it needs to up the supply again. It happens at 10 days, about 6 weeks, about 12 weeks and generally every 4 weeks or so thereafter.

When C was born I got my first AF after 3 1/2 months - keep in mind that my post delivery bleeding only stopped at about 12 weeks - and AF visited every 14 days for a bit. I managed to exclusively breast feed till 5 1/2 months (when I introduced the first teasoon of baby rice) and I am still Breast feeding as you can see in my sig...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rene" (Dec 22nd 2008, 8:25am)

Monday, December 22nd 2008, 11:13am

Thanks ladies, you lot are gems (and easier to get hold of than any b/f support)

Still exclusively b/f her (haven't bought any formula so no temptation there) and she is definitely not missing feeds so I will just go with what she wants, must just be another growth spurt :8o: Last time she was weighed at 4 weeks she had gone from 6lb 13 to 8lb 3 so she is putting on good weight, I know that at least.

Bells, have not done anything for christmas yet so the hectic panic will start later!!

Rene here's hoping my AF doesn't get ideas and come every 14 days!!

Happy christmas

P x

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, December 22nd 2008, 11:25am

Just also want to add that a returning cycle can mean returning ovulation. Just something to bear in mind if you don't want another just yet!

Well done you on the bf, and boo hoo to AF for turning up now, couldn't she give you a break?

Monday, December 22nd 2008, 11:37am

Quoted

Originally posted by mrsjasper
Just also want to add that a returning cycle can mean returning ovulation. Just something to bear in mind if you don't want another just yet!

ROFL lmao Funny lady you!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE