You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

roxy7

Star

• "roxy7" started this thread

Reg: Dec 1st 2008

Children: DS born 11/06

Friday, December 26th 2008, 4:07pm

A prospective older mum with a dilemma - advice please!

I already have one son, am just about to start IVF treatment and am worrying about what to decide re the number of embryos to return. I know I may not get (m)any good quality ones due to my age. As I've just turned 40 in theory I could have 3 replaced but we have definately decided against that even if we had the option!

How did you decide how many to return and how are you managing your multiples? I have to say I'm anxious at the prospect of a twin pregnancy due to my worries about the associated increased risks to myself and the babies. And I'm concerned about the effect of my age. I also know how hard it is to look after one baby, let alone two! I'm already constantly knackered running round after a toddler (I don't like to complain, it's just a fact) and we don't have any family support nearby.

Having said all this, we'd just love a sibling or siblings for our only child and if someone said to me: a twin pregnancy will result in two healthy babies I would say "go for it"!

I've got no idea about the stats for women having two eggs returned which result in none or one baby and I also know that the chances of me becoming pregnant at all at my age are slim (15ish%)

Ahhh, the joys of having no control over a situation....

Thanks in advance for your thoughts....

Me 41, DP 42
Diagnosis PCOS and old age!
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
FET 08/09 :BFP:
cs booked for 20/04/10

Reg: Mar 6th 2006

Friday, December 26th 2008, 9:05pm

Hi Roxy,

I am 38 in March & my partner is 42 in 4 days and we have twin 1 year old girls. I have no support network around me. I am from up North and live in Essex, most of my family and friends are up there my mum lives in Spain. My in laws live about 40mins away and I probably see them once a week when I go to them. My partner leaves for work at 8am and doesn't get back until 8pm, so you can well imagine how busy its been. But it has been the most hardest most rewarding job I have ever had. They are so much fun and entertain one another too. If you work as part of team you cant go wrong hun. I am tired and have recently gone back to work part time, but me and DP take turns at weekend to have lie ins I lie in Sat him Sun. So at least one day a week we have catch up sleep time.

I had two embryos put back and both worked. But I have plenty of friends 38 upwards having a healthy pregnancies and babies. If and when we try again I would still have 2 put back. Hope this helps feel free to PM me anytime with any questions hun.

xx
Melanie
1st IUI cylce 10 March 06 BFN
2nd IUI cycle 19th June 06 BFN
3rd IUI cycle 6th Sep 06 BFN
4th IVF 31st March at St Barts :BFP:

Daisy born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.16am 4lb 13.5 oz
Nuala born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.18am 5lb 10oz

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE