You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "cazzmo" started this thread

Reg: Oct 10th 2005

Thursday, September 13th 2007, 8:22pm

giving up breastfeeding

Hi Ladies
I'm having to give up feeding... ;(. I'd hoped I'd last longer and am gutted as it was going really well. I've got Rheumatoid Arthritis and it's rearing it's head again so I need to nip it in the bud before it gets really bad, go back on medication, which means I can't breastfeed :(.
We still have some issues re breastfeeding but I will miss it and the bond we have we'd just about got used to each other :].

Anyway ladies, Alex will take a bottle ( thankfully ) How can I make the transition easy for him. My HV says he won't be affected at all??

How often does he need a bottle feed to start with? Any advice would be great.

Caz xxx

Me 39, DH 39 ICSI Nov '06 BFP

FET Dec '10 - ET Dec 16th - Test Day 31/12/10

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Thursday, September 13th 2007, 8:31pm

Sorry to hear that you are having health problems but congratulations on giving your little one the best of starts! I'm sure someone will be along with bottle advice soon enough.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, September 13th 2007, 8:32pm

Awwww Cazz, never mind, you gave it a brilliant shot :))

Why don't you put a thread into the bottle feeding board asking for advice, there are lots of lovelies who will help you sort it all out :))

x

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, September 13th 2007, 8:53pm

Oh I feel for you, I really do. Please don't worry about the bonding, there are so many other ways to do it and cuddling without boobies is almost as lovely. Also, you have already given A a real head start by breastfeeding him this long, so hold your head up and be proud of yourself.

When I went completely over to bottle feeding, I started by doing it on demand and gradually DD got herself into a routine. As a rough guide, get a carton of whatever milk you like the look of in the supermarket (some swear by a particular brand but I don't think there are any rules), and have a look on the back of the carton for how much he should be getting in 24 hours. Its only a guideline and of course its in the interests of the formula manufactureres to err on the side of more rather than less, but its a good starting point.

Hugs honey, and welcome back to the world of underwires!

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Thursday, September 13th 2007, 9:26pm

You have given him the best of starts!!!
I don't think that you should have any problems with the bonding!!! Also, the more reason to get other peoples up for his nighttime feeds! :D

Thursday, September 13th 2007, 10:17pm

Yay !! Underwired bras.... can't wait!! I'm trying to focus on the positives.

I sort of knew 6 weeks would be my limit so pleased to nearly get there.
Thanks for all your support ladies, I was a bit teary at the thought of stopping but having had so many words of encouragement it's made the whole thing a lot easier.

caz xxx

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Friday, September 14th 2007, 3:05am

oh bless - so sorry for you

BUT you have given your DS a wonderful wonderful start in life despite the setbacks you received

CONGRATULATIAONS!

Friday, September 14th 2007, 7:32am

Thanks hunni

Caz xx

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Friday, September 14th 2007, 9:32am

It's good that you know that Alex will take a bottle (as some won't!!). However, for the sake of your boobs and your hormones, I strongly recommend dropping one feed at a time. If you stop completely in one day, your boobs will explode and your hormones will come crashing down and make you very teary. Whenever you stop, should do it one feed at a time (even at 10 months, I dropped them one at a time). Drop one feed every 3 or 4 days or so, until your boobs aren't as turgid again.

If you really need to start the medications sooner than it would take to drop all feeds, then express what you need to relieve your boobs even if you have to chuck the expressed milk away.
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Max born March 07 - thanks to frozen embryo transfer, our little miracle

Friday, September 14th 2007, 9:53am

Hiya Caz

Firstly well done on giving Alexander such a great start - you have nothing to feel bad over!! I only managed 6 weeks too and felt guilty for so long but bottle feeding has not made any difference to the bond I share with Max.

I would agree with Limpet and say drop the feeds one by one, as Max was in hospital when I stopped I had a hell of a time with my boobs after as I stopped feeding right away and my boobs were agony for about a week or so after. Initially for us M was tube fed so we didnt have the same start to bottle feeding as you did but when he got home we just followed the guidlines on the back of the tin. It was basically 4oz every 3hrs I think at A's stage. Gradually as Max grew we went to more ounces less times per day until he eventually settled into 8oz bottles 4 times per day. At around 10 weeks he stopped his night feed and started sleeping right through. As we all say though all babies are different so just let Alexander take the lead - he will tell you when he is hungry and you will gradually fall into the routine that suits him. Just when you get the hang of it he will have a growth spurt and throw you lol!!

As for making up bottles etc - we usually do them 4 at a time and that does the next 24hrs. I think current guidlines are to make them up as you use them but we have never had any probs doing it our way. A couple of essentials I found for a bottle feeding mummy are these

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_detail…ationid=1034958

both very handy if you are out and about!!

The next one has had varied reviews but I found it very handy for nighttime feeding as you dont have to go downstairs for bottles!!

Good luck!!!

5 x ICSI b.f.n
1 x FET resulting in my gorgeous son born 2007

Friday, September 14th 2007, 10:44am

oh - one thing that will make your life so much easier when you move to bottles - give them to him cold when he is stil so young and he will prefer them that way! in fact even now our DS hates warm milk! he refuses to drink it! so no faffing around with heating bottles ;)

and do what Limpet says ;)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Friday, September 14th 2007, 11:02am

Just wanted to mention to you Cazz and you too Glitzty that there is data that shows that babies who are breastfed for even a few weeks still show the benefits of it when they are 14 years old. Well done.

Saturday, September 15th 2007, 7:56am

Thanks so much for the advice ladies.
I'm still feeding at the mo - have my hospital appt on Monday ( I know what they'll say and can start back on meds straight away ) so will have to drop the feeds then.

We're off to Mothercare tomorrow to arm ourselves with the bits we need.

H - I assumed you could make up a days worth in one go and heat them throughout the day. :( The flask idea looks good.

I feel I've gone thru one learning curve and feel I have another mountain to climb again. We'll be fine though.

What formula do you use ladies?. A had Aptimal in hospital when he was tube fed. We have given him that too. I'm not beating myself up about it ladies, I'm disappointed to stop but also relieved I've felt well enough to do it this long.

edited to say - will A still root around for food if I'm not feeding him myself? I've learnt his hunger signs!!

Caz xxx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "cazzmo" (Sep 15th 2007, 7:57am)

Saturday, September 15th 2007, 8:55am

YES!!

Jamie gives Daddy baby-booby-hickies when he's hungry and daddy was cuddling him!

KIRSTY G

Reg: Sep 27th 2006

Children: 7 year old little man, and B/G twins

Monday, September 17th 2007, 2:41pm

Sorry to hear this Cazz, but you've done great to get this far ....

'Fraid I have too ...absolutley gutted :tear:

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Monday, September 17th 2007, 3:19pm

First of all well done! I didn't manage to BF exclusively due to a breast reduction then a bout of thrush and blocked ducts put the kibosh on any complimentary feeding so I just wanted to say I know how hard it is to have to give up when you have little other choice :( To echo what the other ladies have said, you have done fantastically to get this far and little A has had the very best start a mum could give :]

To answer your questions, yes A will still root around for his feeds, it is a babys instinct, breast fed or not :)

Although government guidelines vary from year to year :rolleyes: we used to put the amount of cooled boiled water in bottles and store in the fridge, 8 or so will see you through the day and means you have spare bottles without sterilising twice a day, I also found that if L was having a 6 oz feed, putting 3-4oz of cool boiled water in the fridge and topping up with water straight from the kettle meant no waiting around for bottles to heat up when you have a hungry baby! We also had a kettle upstairs instead of a warmer :))

For on the move I found the fisher price flask and a 3 section milk powder dispenser invaluable :))

It is better to add the milk as you make up the feed as the bacteria levels have been shown to rise when stored in the fridge and they are only usable upto 24 hours, meaning if you make an extra couple of feeds then you are just throwing milk down the sink :)

HTH :))

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Tuesday, September 18th 2007, 7:43am

Hi ladies...

Well that's it - tablet taken, breasfeeding over ;( ;( ;(. Had a few tears as I don't think I was ready to give it up no matter what my head was telling my heart. Still....putting Alex in his crib at 4am this morning with horrific pains in my shoulder made me think again...

Woke this morning with swollen lumpy painful boobs...just expressed a little in the shower and they feel a bit better. Ineed to go to express more in a bit..ay ideas how long this lasts? They were hurting all night. :( We dropped a couple of feeds yesterday for bottles in preparation so I guess that's what caused it.

Feel a bit down about it all today, more than I thought I would. Am off to sort out a bottle ... :rolleyes:

Caz xxx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "cazzmo" (Sep 18th 2007, 7:44am)

Tuesday, September 18th 2007, 8:07am

Cazz - it's your hormones luv. You are experiencing a MASSIVE drop in hormones and that is why you are feeling so blue.

Keep expressing - even use a pump - just five minutes both sides every three hours.

then after three days, drop down to two minutes every three hours.

then after three days a few minutes every 6 hours

Tuesday, September 18th 2007, 9:56am

Thanks hunni

My pumps rubbish so I hand expressed, probably as you said 5 mins a side. Will try again later, they aren't half as painful as they were last night. I'm just gutted to stop really, more than I expected. I'll be ok though.

Caz xx

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Tuesday, September 18th 2007, 8:13pm

Binding them was a real relief to me, and also kneeling down in a warm bath and squeezing your boobs to your chest.

Hope its not too long before you get some relief

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Tuesday, September 18th 2007, 8:15pm

Thank missy hun
Just been in the bath and yep it helped loads.
I've got a few little lumps that I can see under the skin, been massaging them ( my mum told me to ).. I assume they'll go soon? :(

Caz xxx

• "SingingNun" is no longer a member of FZ
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 8th 2006

Children: Rebecca, born 12th March 2008

Wednesday, September 19th 2007, 7:39am

You done brill to breastfeed A. I know you are gutted to have stopped but your health counts also. In the shops don't they do those Tommee Tippee bottles that resemble a breast? They might be good for Alex - not used them myself obviously but we bought the Steam Steriliser and they had a starter kit with them bottles in so will give it a try when my time comes.

xxx Lorraine xxx

Me: 39 & DH: 42 ~ TTC: 5yrs; M/c@7.5wks (20/1/03) & became a mum after our 2nd IUI attempt in June 2007 to 6lbs 4ozs baby girl called Rebecca after an emergency caesarean section at 6.29am on 12th March 2008

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, December 27th 2008, 8:05pm

bumping for elmo

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE