You are not logged in.

Unread posts

nickate

• "nickate" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "nickate" started this thread

Reg: Mar 13th 2008

Thursday, January 15th 2009, 11:07am

expressing 2-3oz at a time enough

i am expressing with a electric pump but only seem to get 2 to 3 oz from 1 breast at a time is that enough? thanks havent a clue and my book doesnt say how much. if it is enough can I do the other breast then feed tobe soon after?

Kate x
Katex jilly bab13

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "nickate" (Jan 15th 2009, 11:08am)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, January 15th 2009, 12:42pm

Quoted

i am expressing with a electric pump but only seem to get 2 to 3 oz from 1 breast at a time is that enough

Is it enough for what? Why are you expressing? How often? Are you feeding from the breast first?

nickate

Thursday, January 15th 2009, 1:11pm

Enough for 1 feed. I am going to express for 2 x 3hours that I am working per week at night, plus the odd meeting. I feed from the breast then express the other but only get 2to3oz out of each one at a time. Is it enough? I want to be able to feed Tobe soon after expressing is it possible?

Thanks in advance

Kate x
Katex jilly bab13

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, January 15th 2009, 1:17pm

Righto, so you're going to be away from him for three hours twice a week? He ought to be able to last that long but I'd want to have a few ounces in the fridge/freezer too.

The breast you just fed from will be easier to express from as your milk is already in full flow. I would try the same breast first and then do the other one if you need to. If you express a couple of ounces every day you should have plenty to make up three feeds a week.

If that doesn't produce the amount you need then you could try expressing at the same time as feeding. The thing is, when you breastfeed, after a few seconds/minutes you get a let down reflex of milk which makes it flow quickly. If you're already having let down when feeding and then expressing afterwards you're probably going to miss that window of opportunity where you milk would flow easily as you express.

You can feed him after expressing, just be aware that if you're expressing off your foremilk then N will only get hind milk during that feed.

nickate

Thursday, January 15th 2009, 3:31pm

thanks so much :D
Katex jilly bab13

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Thursday, January 15th 2009, 3:55pm

I agree with the expressing while feeding suggestion
I found that I could get a lot more if I expressed on one side while C was feeding on the other. Keeping in mind that I am talking about expressing when C was 4 or 5 months old not 4 weeks (I probably would have gotten 2-3 oz too at 4 weeks - actually I barely got any at that stage as he was always feeding and there wasn't much left to express) I could get about 150ml if C wasn't feeding (and I was pretty full having not fed him in 6 or 7 hours) and about 250ml if I expressed while feeding. In fact at the start of feeding I never even switched the pump on and I could get about 80ml just from let-down...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE