You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Glitzy" started this thread

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Max born March 07 - thanks to frozen embryo transfer, our little miracle

Sunday, January 11th 2009, 10:23am

portion sizes

Hello

Help!!!! Can someone talk to me about portion sizes for a almost 2 year old big boy. Sometimes M has a bigger lunch than me - i know he can only eat what i give him but he seems to want to eat constantly. I am happy with what he eats its just the sheer volume. I want to get on top of the portion sizes we are giving him but have lost my way a little. Any advice??

I emptied out his packed lunch at the child minders last week and i noticed he had the same size sarnie as the 5 year old sat next to him - he never leaves a thing either and will happily eat what anyone else has left. So time to get on top of it but help me please. Thank you xxx

Typical days food is..

8am - 4oz full fat milk in cup
9am - porridge with fruit
12 - lunch, cheese sandwich, 2 slices bread with crusts off, yogurt, fruit (grapes or raisins usually) and water
4pm - dinner normally meat, veg and potatoes or a pasta dish. water
6pm - biscuit or fruit
7pm - 4oz full fat milk in cup

I know he is a little on the larger side and as i dont think that is a lot of food for one day i do think my portions must be too big. What do you think?

Thanks xx

5 x ICSI b.f.n
1 x FET resulting in my gorgeous son born 2007

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
Constantly craving sleep...

Sunday, January 11th 2009, 1:47pm

I don't see anything wrong with what you are giving him.
C now has:
Breast
8 ish - Bowl of porridge (oats usually - with lots of milk) and his portion is about the same size as mine
10 ish - snack - biscuit and juice (or dry cereal seems to be a current fave) Fruit
12 ish - lunch - if at creche it will be some type of stew or, in winter, soup - they often tell me that he eats two or even 3 portions of the lunch. At home it will be a sandwhich or french toast or whatever we are having for lunch (today it is chicken biryani)
3p.m he has a pot of yoghurt
6ish dinner with us - meat and veg with rice/potato (he eats an entire baked potato on his own
7ish fruit or other snack
All through the day he will also have juice and bed-time it is breast again

For some reason I can't get his to take milk anymore and that is why I put loads into his porridge...
Oh added to everything else that he has at creche we also pack in a cheese sandwhich that he usually polishes off too

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rene" (Jan 11th 2009, 1:47pm)

Reg: Jul 30th 2006

Sunday, January 11th 2009, 1:52pm

I guess the question is would you be happy /would it be healthy for him to carry on growing at the rate that he is. If not then it may be worth discussing it with your health visitor /doctor to see if any modifications to his diet are warrented - he obviously eats a healthy diet as it is! Portion sizes are so individual, my 15 month old daughter is in no rush to grow out of 6-9 month clothes, is a skinny minnie and can put away two weatabix, a pear & a slice of toast for breakfast. Her brother on the other hand is a bit of a chunk and i tend to keep a watch on how much cheese I give him (he'd eat the kitchen sink given half a chance!)

xx
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
Bilateral hydrosalpinges discovered May 06
Bilateral salpingectomy June 06
1st IVF August 06 BFN
2nd IVF January 07 BFP Twins!!

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Sunday, January 11th 2009, 8:39pm

He doesn't sound like he's snacking on junk. he has a good mix of food, and is his weight is acceptable and not spirally out of control then I wouldn't worry.
My ds is much the same, he has always had a big appetite, and now often eats bigger portions than me
He'll have porridge or 2 weetabix for breakfast, with a banana and often a slice of toast, a sandwich made with 2 slices of bread, then fruit or raisans; then for tea he'll have whatever we have ( pies, spag bol, curry , chilli, fish, stew etc and will have about 2/3 of my portion size, followed by a youghurt.
as snacks he'll have raisans, cheese, fruit and the odd bisuit here and there.
I know he does, and always has eaten alot, but my theory is, that he's not overweight, he doesn;t eat rubbish, and he's always on the go- so I let hom eat it.
I wouldn;t worry too much hun, they're so active that he'll burn it all if in noi time.
x

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
Constantly craving sleep...

Sunday, January 11th 2009, 9:12pm

BTW, H
I have to add: I just had another look at his most recent photos and he looks no chubbier than C did before his last surgery and C's paed has always said that C is perfectly in proportion.
Don't just look at his weight, Hun. Look at his weight in proportion to his height. If he is 90th centile for weight but 50th for height you would need to look at his food intake but if the difference in centiles for his height in relation to weight is only about 10-15 points then you don't need to worry.
C had been well above 95th for weight and about 93rd for height (difference 2) for a long time and now he is just on 95th for weight but has gone up to above 95th for height...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Children: Max born March 07 - thanks to frozen embryo transfer, our little miracle

Tuesday, January 13th 2009, 4:56pm

Thats great everyone thank you. I worry because he is a wheezy baby and i dont want his weight putting a strain on him. I think his diet is fine its something i am very careful about so i just cant see how he is so much bigger than other kids his age but as you say theres lots more too it. He is pretty much head and shoulders above them too i think he looks about 3 sometimes. Blimmin gorgeous though!! Wee soul has just devoured his tea like he has never been fed before ha ha xxx

5 x ICSI b.f.n

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Wednesday, January 14th 2009, 4:51pm

honestly - when you have an underweight 3 year that insists on eating sausages, potato faces, and weetabix

and an 18 month that cannot eat solids

I soooooo wish at least one of my sons was like yours and a good eater!

Wednesday, January 14th 2009, 6:32pm

Oh I am very very lucky i know!!! sausage, potato faces and weetabix, mmmm my fave!!! xxx

5 x ICSI b.f.n

Reg: Jul 21st 2006

Tuesday, January 20th 2009, 8:32pm

Hi G

E-m eats really well too, but some days she seems to be wanting food all the time, I think this is when she is on a growing spurt

on a typical day she will eat

8am - 8oz of milk (semi skimmed)
1 1/2 weetabix

10.30am - water
small box of raisins or malt biscuit

12noon - Backcurrent and apple juice
Cheese on toast (1 slice)
yoghurt

3pm - Water
Bowl of fruit, ie, melon, pears, grapes

5pm - Water
Mashed Potatoes, fish or chicken, peas

7pm - 8oz milk (semi skimmed)

on a very hungry day, she will eat more bread, and fruit loaf is always good to fill them up and she loves it
ME 32, pcos, DH 47,
DH had Tese tx Jan 06
IVF/ ICSI July 06 ,
30 eggs collected, 2 transfered,
Had OHSS and OMG, :BFP:

• "Flowertot" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 6th 2008

Friday, January 23rd 2009, 10:57pm

E is a pretty good eater in that she eats regularly, but sometimes doesn't eat all what's put out in front of her.

For example today she had:

Fruit for brekky
Bottle of full fat milk

Lunch was cheese cob, picked cheese off and just ate the cob

Tea was curly fries, tomatoes and chicken drummers - ate the lot.

Snacks were fruit and some chokky.

She has days where she will eat like a horse, other days will bit bob. She tends to like buffet style meals more than a full meal.
Jen

Ella Louise Born Tuesday 12 September at 11.48pm weighing 6lb 14oz

Mum to a 2 year old little princess born after 2 rounds of IUI.

(Previously ZooKeeper/Twinkle Fairy/Fairy Girl/)

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Saturday, January 24th 2009, 7:28pm

First off, I'm very jealous, my two and half year old has to be cajoled to eat a chip, thats right a child who doesn't even like chips.

Portion sizes. As far as I know, for any person of whatever age, each type of food on the plate (carbs, meat, green vegetables, dairy etc) should be roughly the same size as their fist.

But saying that, the list you gave sounds really well-rounded to me x

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE