You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "olothechick" started this thread

Reg: Dec 6th 2006

Children: 1 little boy

Saturday, January 10th 2009, 10:18am

baby rice

hey girls

just a quickie when can you start your baby on baby rice as on the packet it says 4 months but i thought you shouldnt give food till 6 months??????
xxx

TTC#1 4y
:BFP: 04/09 M/C

Lap 06 endo + scar tissue
Lap 08/07 laser of endo + adhesions

:BFP: 12/07 baby7Lucas born 11/09/08
Now TTC#2 since aug 09(please dont mention on fb)

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Saturday, January 10th 2009, 10:30am

The current recommendations are to start weaning from 6 months but TBH, baby rice is foul tasting and well worth skipping.
It is one of those things made by the baby money making industry and is not needed if you start weaning when baby is actually ready for weaning :)

Do a search here on FZ on "baby lead weaning" as this is something that we found to be a wonderful and easy weaning approach.
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

• "olothechick" started this thread

Reg: Dec 6th 2006

Children: 1 little boy

Saturday, January 10th 2009, 10:33am

oh brilliant thanks hun

xxx

TTC#1 4y
:BFP: 04/09 M/C

Lap 06 endo + scar tissue
Lap 08/07 laser of endo + adhesions

:BFP: 12/07 baby7Lucas born 11/09/08
Now TTC#2 since aug 09(please dont mention on fb)

mrsantro

Reg: Jul 18th 2007

Sunday, January 11th 2009, 1:27pm

The new guidelines are stated as 6months as T said.

RR was weaned from around 17/18weeks on medical advice as she just wasn't satisfied with the milk.

If you think the wee one is showing signs of needing to be weaned, pick it up with your HV or carer, I'm sure they will give you the best advice to give you peace of mind.

The rice doesn't really taste of anything, tbh its bland, bu then babies aren't used to strong flavours etc :snigger:

Reg: Jul 21st 2006

Tuesday, January 13th 2009, 2:13pm

hi hun

I started E-M on a little baby rice mixed with her formula at about 5 months, the guidlines advise on 6 months, but she was showing signs of needing more than just milk at 4 and 1/2 months so i waited till she was 5 months old

from 6 months I pureed cooked fruit and veg and mixed a little into the rice, ie, carrot, apple, pears potatoe etc

I would cook the fruit or veg, puree with a hand blender and spoon into ice cube trays, and freeze, once frozen pop out the pureed fruit/veg into freezer bags and store in freezer
each morning just take a cube out to defrost, once defrosted mix with rice and babys milk

I actually like the taste of baby rice and babys love it. I highly recomend the book "the complete baby and toddler meal planner" by Annabel Karmel, It really gave me some great ideas for when i was weaning E-M, I got mine off Ebay foe just a couple of £'s

x
ME 32, pcos, DH 47,
DH had Tese tx Jan 06
IVF/ ICSI July 06 ,
30 eggs collected, 2 transfered,
Had OHSS and OMG, :BFP:

Reg: Jun 2nd 2007

Monday, February 2nd 2009, 8:43am

Hi Olo....I'm thinking about weening too :smile: Sam isn't really old enough yet but he watches me eat with facination, opening his mouth and curling his tongue like he does when he sees his bottle :snigger: It's really cute. Just read an article on Baby Centre which recommends baby rice mixed with regular milk to get baby used to swallowing before introducing new flavours.

PT xxx

TTC#1 Aug 02-Feb 08
Jan/Feb 08 - IVF#1 - BFP
It's A Boy

Oct 17th 08 - Baby Sam is born

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Monday, February 2nd 2009, 9:10am

Hi Poptart, Sam will natually be interested in watching you eat, he's fascinated by everything you do. I would definitely leave it for now as at this point his little system just wouldn't be happy about it and he doesn't need it.

I'm interested to know does the baby centre article recommend putting the rice into a bottle of milk or mixing it in a bowl? If they are recomending putting rice into a bottle I think that is irresponsible of them as that has been shown to create a risk of gagging / choking.

Weaning is such an exciting time, they get to that point so quickly, in the blink of an eye I thought.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, February 2nd 2009, 11:05am

Quoted

Originally posted by poptart

Sam isn't really old enough yet

I think you're spot on there chuck.

It's certainly cute to see them mimic your actions, it's a joy to see them copying smiles, raspberries, funny faces etc... but swallowing and digesting food is hard work and if you wait he won't 'need' to practice, he'll be ready to just do it. Try not to rush him, he'll be all grown up soon enough and you'll miss your little baby.

Reg: Jun 2nd 2007

Monday, February 2nd 2009, 4:54pm

Rivka -no it suggests mixing it in a bowl. Also read on first few attempts to give them enough of their bottle so as they're not hungry then try spoon feeding a little baby rice followed with the rest of the bottle.

Bells - I know hun don't worry I'm not going down the weening road just yet :smile: I'm just getting prepared. What with my car seat post and weening I'm getting everyone in a tizz :snigger: :snigger: :snigger:

PT xxx

TTC#1 Aug 02-Feb 08
Jan/Feb 08 - IVF#1 - BFP
It's A Boy

Oct 17th 08 - Baby Sam is born

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Monday, February 2nd 2009, 5:09pm

:snigger: Yes up we pop "oh you mustn't do that poptart"

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE