You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "sarah.jones" started this thread

Reg: Aug 29th 2007

Thursday, January 29th 2009, 5:32pm

Need some help please?!

Hi girls. My baby girl is 11 days old and i've been breastfeeding her since day 1.
I had a few problems with her latching on at first and after a visit off the midwife managed to get this sorted and she was feeding from both breasts with no problem.
The past couple of days she hasnt been interested in the left breast. We had our final visit from the midwife yesterday and we mentioned it to her. We came to the conculsion that maybe she likes to lie on her right hand side (she always does this when we put her in the moses basket) and so the midwife suggested holding the baby differently when feedin off the left breast (under the arm)
I have tried this and it still doesnt seem to make much difference. She does not want to feed off the left one at all. My left breast is now soft and there is nothin in it (just like before i was pregnant) and my right one is huge and heavy!!
I have just tried to express some milk out of the left one in the hope it willmake the breast produce some more so i can even the breasts out a bit, but after 10 minutes i only managed to get about half an ounce.
What can i do?!! My right one is starting to get painful again like they did the first few days after givin birth.
Any advice will be much appreciated!
Xx

Me: 31 DH: 32
TTC 14 months
Results due 4 Jun
Shock BFP 26 May!
9 week scan 25th June - All good, and little beans heartbeat going ten to the dozen!
12 week scan done!
21 Week scan - a little girl!!

Baby Robyn Louise Matthews born 9 days early on the 18th January 2009 at 0048.
Absolutely Perfect Xx

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Thursday, January 29th 2009, 5:38pm

Hi Sarah

Bells is unwell at the moment, hopefully one of the other girls will be along soon and can help

xx

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Thursday, January 29th 2009, 5:45pm

Hi again Sarah

I can't help with how to get Robyn to feed from the left, but this thread has loads of great advice for expressing

Expressing

and some other tips here

Need help with bf !!!!!

little bit more advice please

really struggling with feedin!

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Thursday, January 29th 2009, 5:52pm

Hi Sarah

I can't offer you any practical experience I'm afraid but wondered if you had any breastfeeding drop in clinics in your area which you could go to for advice? Or you could call the NCT b/f line on 0300 330 0771 8am–10pm, seven days a week (you don't have to be a member of the NCT to use this service).

Hope you manage to resolve it soon.

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Thursday, January 29th 2009, 6:00pm

Hi Sarah

sorry to hear that you are worrying. I am not an expert on breastfeeding, I don't really think there is such a thing, however I can say that my breasts very quickly went back to pre-pregnancy size and I still breastfed successfully to 12 months.

Also I wouldn't let the amount you are expressing be the judge for you of how much you are producing, it doesn't really work like that. To be honest with you, at this point you'd do well to forget all about expressing. Put that aside for about six weeks until your supply is in place.

At 11 days what you need to do is take to your bed with your baby and feed, feed, feed, forget about all the other things you need to do, and have your husband bring you lots of snacks and drinks. Chacnes are that your little one will get the idea and the problem will be gone.

I hope this works for you.

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Thursday, January 29th 2009, 7:16pm

My DS always wanted the right hand breast. I had to work quite hard to get him to feed from the left hand one, it is still slightly smaller and in the end I used that one to express from (but not that early on, I think we started at 4-5 weeks).

I would offer your left breast first and see how it goes. You can hand express some (or proper expressing) from your fuller breast to make it more comfortable. I used to do it in the shower to relieve the pressure.

Do you know if you have any good BF support groups near you?
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

• "sarah.jones" started this thread

Reg: Aug 29th 2007

Thursday, January 29th 2009, 8:16pm

Thanks girls. I should have my health visitor visit soon so will mention it then. I'm not sure if there are any BF groups near me, I will have to enquire about it
Xx

Me: 31 DH: 32
TTC 14 months
Results due 4 Jun
Shock BFP 26 May!
9 week scan 25th June - All good, and little beans heartbeat going ten to the dozen!
12 week scan done!
21 Week scan - a little girl!!

Baby Robyn Louise Matthews born 9 days early on the 18th January 2009 at 0048.
Absolutely Perfect Xx

k377y

UNREGISTERED

• "k377y" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Nov 24th 2008

Thursday, February 5th 2009, 10:04pm

Hiya Sarah

I'd like to offer you some advice if I may. When I had my son I did a La Leche League peer support program and now offer support to new mums who are breastfeeding. The first thing I would ask is is your little girl gaining her weight? If so thats the first worry out the way....
Absolutely offer her the left breast before the fuller breast in orer to maintain the stimulation of milk production. If she starts to fuss and get distressed then offer her the fuller breast. There is no point in distressing your DD or yourself.
The other thing is by expressing off the left breast after you have finished feeding may help to build up the milk production over time. I have a friend who went through a very similar situation and managed to successfully feed her daughter for 15 months only using her left breast. They really are marvelous things you know and a happy breastfeeding mummy make happy breastfed babies....Keep at it and please feel free to give me a shout xxx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "k377y" (Feb 5th 2009, 10:05pm)

k377y

UNREGISTERED

• "k377y" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Nov 24th 2008

Thursday, February 5th 2009, 10:15pm

Ooo I forgot to say too...when you speak to your HV she/he should have a list of Peer supporters in your area xx

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Friday, February 6th 2009, 9:00am

Sarah, I spoke to someone on our HV team yesterday about babies who only want to feed on one breast. She said she knew a mum who had a similar issue. It could be tha tshe is uncomfortable lying on one side, have you tried just moving her across from one breast to the other mid feed without changing her position in any other way, this might fool her into thinking she hasn't changed breast! Your breasts have their own individual feedback mechanisms so it is perfectly possible to single side feed for the whole of your breastfeeding 'career' if need be. Women who have had surgery to one breast soemtimes do it.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE