You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Soooz

Star

Reg: Apr 3rd 2008

Children: 2 sons - Natural shock 99 & ICSI miracle 04

Saturday, February 7th 2009, 11:37am

awww mich hun... ure little girl is lucky to have u as her mummy whether u bottle feed her or breast feed her.... like u say the bond is there either way. u can still cuddle her to you after a feed and she'll have a full belly and be all cuddly and content..... :lurve: i admire your perseverance hun but i swapped with my first baby after about 10 days and with my second i just went straight to bottle and this was by far the best thing for us...

love to u all xx
:flowerbasket:

Proud mum to two sons - natural unexpected in 1999 :8o: and ICSI in 2004 : D

We must let go of the life we had planned;
to have the life waiting for us

SarahV

Superstar

• "SarahV" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 3rd 2008

Children: One on the way, yippee

Saturday, February 7th 2009, 12:08pm

Sweetie, really sorry have only been able to get onto this thread now (Finn not a happy chap at the moment).

Although I've not had the same problem with the tongue tied thing I do know where you're coming from... I'm still bf a little, mainly due guilt as I worry about whole new can of problems opening... However, with Finn being so sick, I am exhausted and in constant tears. I thought yesterday he wasn't over being ill but today I realised he's also really not getting enough food as I gave him a bottle and he's guzzled 130ml - that's the important bit, they need their food, in whatever form!

Don't feel guilty, you have to do what's best for Caitlin and you as a pair - I know this is easier said than done. The MWs don't always help the situation - but stick to your guns; expressing is exhausting and I think only worth it if you really want to persist. Give yourself a break, you've done so well, you've tried your best and that fact that you've got so upset shows that. At least Ryan can help now (by the way, I was worried about James feeding too, but you know what you get to a point when you need to let go and really it's lovely for them to get involved too!).

Thinking of you hun. If you need a call for moral support let me know!

bigkiss

Michelle

• "Michelle" started this thread

Saturday, February 7th 2009, 12:24pm

you ladies are so kind lurve

Thank you!
xx

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Saturday, February 7th 2009, 12:25pm

big :hugs: Michelle, you've had a really difficult week, and been grappling with lot.

The love between you and your little girl shines through, in your posts. There is so much that makes us feel guilty, as Mothers and we give ourselves a hard time, when we shouldn't because at the end of the day, we always do what is best for our babies, and that is what you are doing here, so please don't feel guilty about anything.

Have a lovely walk, some time together, the 3 of you, and I hope all goes well with the ffing, and that you are able to get some rest, feel better soon, and and enjoy some lovely time as a family.

xxx

<

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Saturday, February 7th 2009, 1:08pm

Oh Michelle, please don;t feel guilty. My mum couldn't breastfeed me as I wouldn't latch on. I was a perfectly healthy child (not one sick day off school until I was 9) and adult (I rarely even get colds), I didn't have any emotional attachment issues and have always deeply loved my mum.
Yes, breastfeeding is good - the evidence on that speaks for itself. But it's not the only thing that will bond you and Caitlin or keep her healthy. You're already in love with your little girl and, as you say, have waited so long for this moment. You're doing the best you can and noone can expect more from you than that...including you!

xxx

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, February 7th 2009, 2:24pm

Michelle, I really do feel for you. Anyone can see how hard you've fought and I know that if your circumstances had been different then the outcome would've probably been different too.

I think you've made the right decision. It may be that in time you will look back and have regrets about the situation but you must not regret the decision you've made because you haven't really been left with much of a choice at all. It's just not worth being ill over or ruining what should be an immensley happy time for you.

I think you will always wish that C's tongue tie had been spotted earlier. Maybe you feel that you should've perhaps stayed in hospital a bit longer to get to grips with being a Mum without the pressures of lurching straight back into family life? Maybe you will resent the pressure placed upon you at a time when you were physically and emotionally at your lowest ebb. Whatever your regrets become, please recognise and remember that you have made this decision based on your immediate situation and that today, it was the right decision for you, your hubby and Caitlin.

Chin up flower, there's more to life than breastfeeding!

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Saturday, February 7th 2009, 7:45pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Bells

Chin up flower, there's more to life than breastfeeding!

i totally agree :happy:

you can now concentrate on getting better and looking after your precious princess you were getting so exhausted you couldnt do that, it is probably is the best time to stop.

hope you are feeling better in yourself very soon hun.

rest lots, and kick those visitors out!......or we'll come and do it for you :P

:hugs:

love k xxx

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Paris

Star

Reg: Mar 7th 2008

Saturday, February 7th 2009, 9:16pm

hi hun

i know exactly how you feel ias i was the same, i put myself throught the same emotional grief, i so badly wanted to breast feed but it just wasnt meant to be. all i can say is since i stopped trying and put nate on formula i am no longer as stressed and running around expressing, feeding sterilising etc etc, i now have the time and energy to really enjoy him, and at the end of the day thats what counts isnt it?

xxx
[link=http://lilypie.com][img noborder]http://lilypie.com/pic/2010/04/19/oQcy.jpg[/img][img noborder]http://lb2f.lilypie.com/u5wmp2.png[/img][/link]

Tatiana

Superstar

Reg: May 26th 2008

Children: William Arthur and Emily Annabelle

Sunday, February 8th 2009, 7:41pm

Oh darling i just read this now, i am so sorry about all this situation , mast be very hard for you.
Hope everything will be all right very soon.

Here is my :hugs: and support.xxxx
Tatiana :xxx3:
Wish you all good luck and BFP in 2011

its a girl

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Sunday, February 8th 2009, 8:48pm

I think you feel guilty whatever you decide whether you BF for a day or 2 years stopping it is hard, you really can't keep making yourself ill :sadface: you did what you could and nobody can ask for more, you've done brilliantly now get some sleep! :D

Michelle

Monday, February 9th 2009, 11:32am

Just had a call from a breast feeding councellor (midwife asked her to contact me) and we had a nice chat and after telling her how i felt both physically and emotionally she agreed that it was best i stop expressing. I'd been trying to express a little over the weekend just to keep some milk coming until i spoke to her today but there's just no point, i'm so much happier bottle feeding now and my little girl seems really happy and content on formula. The councellor thought it sounded clear that breast feeding wasn't for us and told me to let go.....that was just what i needed to hear :smile:

I am going to put this all behind me now and leave my boobs alone! My baby is beautiful and already after just 8 days, i dont know what i ever did without her.

I'm going to feed her formula and be proud :D

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Monday, February 9th 2009, 11:36am

:hugs: im proud of you hun.

i know how hard it can be to let go, but you have made the right choice for you and your little girl.

you are a wonderful mommy :]

how is her tongue healing?

love k xxx

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, February 9th 2009, 11:39am

Well done Michelle. Very proud of you.
XXX

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Monday, February 9th 2009, 12:03pm

So glad you've resolved this in your head. I think thats one of the hardest things to do x

Michelle

Monday, February 9th 2009, 12:12pm

Thank you ladies. I'm so pleased that it's all sorted out now and i can focus on what really matters!

Cookie - her tongue has healed perfectly, there is just a tiny white scar which will quickly fade and there will be no long term damage at all. If it had been left, apart from the feeding it will also have affected her speech so i'm glad it was found early. If left they also have to be done by GA aswell so getting them early is vital.
I've since found out that it runs in my family (in the girls) so all the ladies in my family have been warned to check tongues of any babies they have now which is good.

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, February 9th 2009, 12:34pm

Hi Michelle,

I'm glad you're feeling happier about things and I'm sorry you had to spend those days feeling poorly and upset about the whole situation. Being a new Mum is tiring enough without that extra pressure huh?

Have you managed to eat, drink and sleep yet? Hope you're feeling more human now.

xxx

Michelle

Monday, February 9th 2009, 12:46pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Bells
Have you managed to eat, drink and sleep yet? Hope you're feeling more human now.

Yes, i'm getting a good six hours sleep a night now (in 2 hour stints) which is managable and my body has switched to mummy mode - i've read about this, where after a few days of being a mum your body starts letting you have your deep part of the sleep first so that you can cope with a broken pattern of sleep. Women's body's are so clever aren't they? We are definitely the stronger sex :D

Eating is easier now that i'm not forcing my breasts to produce milk with all the expressing. Still have a bit of an upset tummy but i think it will calm down now that i'm happy!

As for drink - i'm having a glass (or two) of bubbly tonight to wet my baby's head......any excuse hey? :snigger:

Thanks for all your support Bells (and all you other ladies too), i would have made myself so ill without the support that you've given me :cuddle

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, February 9th 2009, 4:05pm

You sound so much happier now Michelle :)

Enjoy your glass (or three) of bubbly, you certainly do deserve it!!! :D!

mayo

Star

Reg: Jan 17th 2008

Children: 3 big boys ( born '03,'06 & '08)

Monday, February 9th 2009, 5:21pm

ooooh, have a glass for me Michelle! Cheeeers.x
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

Michelle

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 2:59pm

Oh my god......i can't believe what just happened :8o:

This morning i took C to the docs as she was bunged up last night and the doctor asked about feeding and i explained what had happened and he convinced me to at least empty my breasts even if i didn't give her the milk as he said i might change my mind and shouldn't let it dry up. My boobs did feel really heavy so when we got home i expressed and got 5 ounces but thought i should chuck it as i had two glasses of wine last night. Then I gave C a bath and when we were cuddling, I put her on my chest for comfort and she just latched on and fed for a good 20 minutes! happydance

now I'm confused again :snigger:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Rivka

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 3:00pm

:snigger:

Can't hurt can it!x

Michelle

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 3:08pm

I wonder why she just suddenly realised what to do ?( it was like magic!

I suppose it could have been that i'd emptied my breasts and she found it easier to latch on when they weren't so full? It'll be alright about the wine wont it? Obviously if it looks like we've cracked this then i'm not having any more, i was just convinced that it could never work but then suddenly when i'm feeling better physically and am much calmer about things she goes and does it!

Definitely her fathers daughter :snigger:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Rivka

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 3:27pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Michelle
when i'm feeling better physically and am much calmer about things she goes and does it!

:

I think you have just answered your own question

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 5:39pm

woo hoo, so glad you and Cailin have had a wonderful day and a breakthrough with the feeding :) lovely news hun x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 10:40pm

Michelle! I've just been directed to this thread, I have no idea how I missed it!!!!

Well, what a wonderful little accident eh?! :D As Rivka says, it can't do any harm eh? Shame to waste it :snigger:

(Don't worry about the wine, breastmilk is like blood, the alcohol gets 'cleaned' out of it. Besides, Caitlin might quite like Chardonnay flavoured boob juice :D )

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 10:44pm

:8o: clever baby you have there :D

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 10:49pm

Quoted

Then I gave C a bath and when we were cuddling, I put her on my chest for comfort and she just latched on and fed for a good 20 minutes! happydance

You know, this is a bona fide method of getting a baby to breastfeed (amongst other benefits)

Quoted

Kangaroo care

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kangaroo care is a way of holding a preterm or full term infant so that there is skin-to-skin contact between the infant and the person holding it. The baby, wearing only a diaper, is held against the parent's bare chest. Kangaroo care for preterm infants is typically practiced for two to three hours per day over an extended time period in early infancy. With babies who are medically stable, there is no maximum duration for kangaroo care, some parents may keep their babies in-arms for many hours per day.

The label kangaroo care was chosen to describe this strategy because the method is similar to how a kangaroo is carried by its mother. It is estimated that more than 200 neonatal intensive care units practice kangaroo care today compared to less than 70 in the early 1990s. One recent survey found that 82 percent of neonatal intensive care units use kangaroo care in the United States today.

Researchers have found that the close physical contact with the parent can help to stabilize the preterm infant's heartbeat, temperature, and breathing. Preterm infants often have difficulty coordinating their breathing and heart rate. Researchers also have found that mothers who use kangaroo care often have more success with breastfeeding and improve their milk supply. Further, researchers have found that preterm infants who experience kangaroo care have longer periods of sleep, gain more weight, decrease their crying, have longer periods of alertness, and earlier hospital discharge.

That's pure instinct is that!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

mayo

Star

Wednesday, February 11th 2009, 10:27am

oh Michelle, how lovely!
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

Michelle

Wednesday, February 11th 2009, 12:10pm

Wow, thanks Bells - thats good to know! Mrs J also said something about bathing the other day so i thought i'd try this morning too and i fed her in the bath but she got very frustrated and fell asleep on my chest.

I'm going to keep on offering her the boob and if she wants it then great, otherwise i've been expressing so i'm hoping that i can keep some milk coming to give her at least every other feed. Can i mix formula with breast milk? I thought it might be an idea to do that so that she is at least always getting the same and not switching between the two.

Like you say - it does seem such a shame to waste this lovely stuff and the health benefits for us both make me really want to do all i can for s long as the milk is still flowing :smile:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, February 11th 2009, 12:32pm

Awwww..... it's nice to hear you so positive about things now. :smile:

Quoted

Can i mix formula with breast milk? I thought it might be an idea to do that so that she is at least always getting the same and not switching between the two.

Do you mean in the same bottle? I wouldn't... there's nothing wrong with switching between the two as and when. Maybe if you decided to give her breastmilk/formula at certain times of the day/for specific feeds you'll be able to keep track of how much of each she's getting.

mrsjasper

Megastar

Wednesday, February 11th 2009, 1:44pm

Quoted

Can i mix formula with breast milk? I thought it might be an idea to do that so that she is at least always getting the same and not switching between the two.

I was told no so I never tried it. And thinking about it, you might not always produce the same quantity every day so it would be different anyway, also breastmilk changes composition throughout each feed so she will be used to milk of different types already. I never had a problem with Mooch prefering one type of milk to another.

I think its lovely that she will still breastfeed so she is still getting the benfits of breastmilk and lots of mummy cuddles. I hope you are getting the benefits of her sleeping well on the formula too!

Michelle

Wednesday, February 11th 2009, 7:27pm

Quoted

Originally posted by mrsjasper
I think its lovely that she will still breastfeed so she is still getting the benfits of breastmilk and lots of mummy cuddles. I hope you are getting the benefits of her sleeping well on the formula too!

Yep - best of both worlds :D

Bought a fancy electric moo cow machine today so i do get achey hands pumping anymore......it's a noisy little thing though, glad babies don't make this noise when they feed!

Thanks for the info on mixing - wont do it then. Think my little guzzler is quite happy to feed on whatever i give her. She was even trying to feed from my dh's nipple earlier :snigger:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

treezuk

Superstar

• "treezuk" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 31st 2007

Children: 1 son : Mckenzi Henry born 23/10/08 !!!

Wednesday, February 11th 2009, 7:48pm

lol not fussy at all then , shame ryan cant supply the goods really isnt it :snigger:
Me (Teresa) 28 / DH 31
DS Mckenzi Born 23rd Oct 08
TTC Since 2004.. Two Miscarriage's... 21st July 05 & 28th July 10

mrsjasper

Megastar

Wednesday, February 11th 2009, 8:41pm

Quoted

[Bought a fancy electric moo cow machine today so i do get achey hands pumping anymore......it's a noisy little thing though, glad babies don't make this noise when they feed!

I borrowed one of those from the midwives. Very sexy piece of machinery isn't it? I found that after a while my shoulders ached from holding it in place so I got an old bra, cut holes in the ends so the pump would fit through and put buttons and elastioc loops over the holes so I could 'wear' the pump. I wish I had a picture to show you, it was very funny! It was a bit like this only much less attractive! http://gotbreastpump.com/store/Easy_Expr…_Bra_Halter.htm Not FZ endorsed link.
It really helped my back and shoulders not to ache and it meant I had my hands free to rock the crib, stroke DD or read a book. Don't forget the info I plagarised earlier from La Leche League on breast massage, it can really make a difference to how much you get out.

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Wednesday, February 11th 2009, 8:49pm

Michelle, you sound very happy and positive, and that's lovely about C latching on and feeding.

Know what you mean about the nosiey pumps, I was telling my friend, who's pg too, about the noises they make today :snigger:

xxx

<

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: Logan James born 24-12-2008

Wednesday, February 11th 2009, 9:03pm

hiya michelle.
thats wonderful news that caitlin and you have cracked breastfeeding, im really pleased for you, what a clever little girl you have :happy:

so hows the electric moo cow machine working out? i think mayb i should ov tried one of those

xxx
1st ICSI- Mar/Apr08 :BFP:
Logan James born 24-12-08 smile2
3rd ICSI December :BFP: :heart: :heart: seen at 7 wks

k377y

UNREGISTERED

• "k377y" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Nov 24th 2008

Wednesday, February 11th 2009, 9:05pm

Wooo Hoooo Moooo Moooo!

I'm so chuffed for you both xx

Michelle

Thursday, February 12th 2009, 1:02pm

Quoted

Originally posted by mrsjasper

Quoted

[Bought a fancy electric moo cow machine today so i do get achey hands pumping anymore......it's a noisy little thing though, glad babies don't make this noise when they feed!

I borrowed one of those from the midwives. Very sexy piece of machinery isn't it? I found that after a while my shoulders ached from holding it in place so I got an old bra, cut holes in the ends so the pump would fit through and put buttons and elastioc loops over the holes so I could 'wear' the pump. I wish I had a picture to show you, it was very funny! It was a bit like this only much less attractive! http://gotbreastpump.com/store/Easy_Expr…_Bra_Halter.htm Not FZ endorsed link.

rotf
You would not believe how much that made me laugh, it's a great idea though and the pump i bought can be used either by the mains or baterries so i could actually wear it and walk around the house whilst expressing - brilliant :D
I'm starting to wonder what my neighbours must think what with me closing the blinds four or five times a day so that i can get my boobs out and then i'm sure they can hear the sound of the pump too :snigger:

I've been doing the breast massage too and it really does help, as does looking at the baby whilst i express as it really triggers those 'my baby is hungry' hormones!

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

mayo

Star

Thursday, February 12th 2009, 2:17pm

Hey Michelle...it's funny how looking at your baby helps isn't it....I used to express some milk in the evenings, before going to bed, once Mason/Harri was sleeping through the night (used it for their weetabix in the morning) and I found looking at photos of them got the milk flowing :happy:
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

Michelle

Thursday, February 12th 2009, 5:11pm

Oh that's a good idea Mayo - i'd not thought about using a photo and with this noisy pump i'm always worried i will wake her up by expressing right next to her when she's sleeping :snigger:

Just got back from the midwife and C has put on loads of weight this week and is 5oz above her birth weight already......greedy guts :snigger:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE