You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Rosie1976" started this thread

Reg: Jul 5th 2006

Friday, June 22nd 2007, 5:33pm

sleeping through

hi there

I know we are a long way from expecting Hollie and Tomas to sleep through at 3 weeks, but I wondered if anyone knew if prem babies took longer to sleep through? The whole corrected age thing makes my nappy brain spin a bit, so I wondered if sleep patterns were also affected due to them being born early?

Thanks

Rosie
x
me 32 PCOS, DH 39 all good
trying for 3.5 years, 12 months clomid, 1 m/c April 05, Fresh IVF March 06 BFN, FET Oct 06 BFP - Twins!! Littlebits born 29.05.07 and 30.05.07 :]

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Friday, June 22nd 2007, 8:22pm

Hi Rosie

My DD was a premmie - born at 32 +2. She's a rubbish sleeper (!), partly due to some health stuff, and partly because I don't really mind having in bed with me........!

Anyway, we were told that being premmie would impact on how quickly they sleep through the night. I think you need to think of their corrected age rather than their actual age. I also vaguely remember being told it depends on how tiny they were and if they're very little it'll take a bit longer as they'll be hungry and want more feeds during the night.

The SCBU journey is all a little hazy now so I hope I've got that right! I expect someone who's had a premmie more recently will be along shortly!

Lots of luck!

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Friday, June 22nd 2007, 8:30pm

I would expect so Rosie. Its all to do with the size of their tummies in relation to their energy needs. A full term new borns tummy can't really hold enough milk to last through the night, it takes a while for their tummy to grow to a sufficient size. So your two have a bit of catching up to do on top of that. But as Jodie says, there are other factors such as how 'strict' you are with your routine. Also, their personalities, some babies sleep through sooner than othes so you might not have too long to wait. In the meantime, sleep in the day time as much as you can.

mags

Reg: Sep 26th 2006

Friday, June 22nd 2007, 8:37pm

Well - my 2 blow that theory out the water!! They slept through from 10pm to 6am from 5 weeks old, they were born at 36 weeks 4lb7 and 4lb 5, I let them demand their own feeding pattern and refused to wake them for a feed. Neonatal unit wanted them woken every 3 hours, my SIL also had twins at 36 weeks and she woke them for feeds every 3 hours well into 4 months - they are now 3 and still dont sleep through the night. She thinks its because she woke them, my 2 now sleep from 7pm til 7am could play a brass band through the room and no chance of them getting up!! they are now 11lb1 and 10lb 8

1st attempt at ICSI :BFP:bab11 bab10

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Sunday, June 24th 2007, 2:45pm

t was 10 weeks prem and slept through from 4 months- i guess we were quite lucky really as they do tend to take longer than term babies
x

• "Rosie1976" started this thread

Reg: Jul 5th 2006

Monday, June 25th 2007, 10:22am

thanks all - mags, can you remember what sort of amounts your two were taking when they did go through then night?

many thanks

xx
me 32 PCOS, DH 39 all good
trying for 3.5 years, 12 months clomid, 1 m/c April 05, Fresh IVF March 06 BFN, FET Oct 06 BFP - Twins!! Littlebits born 29.05.07 and 30.05.07 :]

ellied

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Monday, July 2nd 2007, 12:40pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rose
t was 10 weeks prem and slept through from 4 months- i guess we were quite lucky really as they do tend to take longer than term babies
x

Here we go again :D :D ... my T was the same except he was a little less prem than your T.

He was born in Aug and he slept through 11pm-6am in Dec, 9pm-6am in Jan. However, we did start giving a bedtime bottle of Nutriprem and breast milk mixed at that time and not everyone will want to do that.

mags

Reg: Sep 26th 2006

Monday, July 2nd 2007, 10:17pm

My two have different amounts, Cameron only has 4oz bottles but he has high energy feed with extra calories added in due to his cleft he doesnt take big volumes, when they went 10pm to 6 Leigha was having 5 x 5oz bottles she now has 4x 8oz botttles. I think you should take the lead from them really

1st attempt at ICSI :BFP:bab11 bab10

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Tuesday, July 3rd 2007, 1:15am

I think it is weight based.

DS wasnt premature but he was low birth-weight - 2.88 kg.

He started sleeping from 11pm-6am from around 4 months old when he hit 5kg, and from 6pm to 6am from around 6-7 months when he was around 8kg.

Dora

Reg: Feb 12th 2009

Monday, February 16th 2009, 10:15am

Each babies are individuals and they will all do it in there own times. Tend to find it is when they are able to take larger amounts and you can get them into more of a day routine, and of course that they are more awake during the day, therefore tierder at night.

elmo

Ace

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Monday, February 16th 2009, 10:17am

sleeping through...what does this mean..... :tired:
Proud mom of the most beautiful twin girlies!!
2 angels in heaven, never forgotten

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE