SarahV

Superstar

• "SarahV" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "SarahV" started this thread

Reg: Mar 3rd 2008

Children: One on the way, yippee

Tuesday, February 24th 2009, 8:42am

Reflux

Just wondering if anyone has any practical advice on reflux?

Finn has been diagnosed with it and is currently on infant Galvascon; though it isn't having much benefit at the moment and we're going back to the doctor to see if there's anything else available. His food intake has dropped... I've worked out if I allow up to an hour and a half to feed him with a half hour winding session in between I can get him to take a further amount of milk.

Any advice gratefully received!

landi

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 5th 2008

Children: One gorgeous son born on 28th May 2010

Monday, March 2nd 2009, 9:08pm

Hi Sarah,

I'm no expert in reflux but I've looked into it a bit for you and here are some suggestions which may help. Although every baby is different and different things work for different babies.

Try to keep him upright during feeding (where possible - i know it's not always) and for 30 mins after. FYI - Formula milk takes longer time to digest than breast milk. By keeping baby in upright position this helps gravity do it's thing. Also after feeds try to keep him as still as possible.

Carrying him in an upright position at any other time could also help as babies tend to cry less when they are having a nice cuddle. I have read that crying can make reflux worse.

also when you put his nappy on him, try to to make it too tight because this could cause pressure on his stomach which could make reflux worse. this also goes for clothing. Try to keep it loose fitting where possible.

I'm not a mum, so i have never had to deal with this day-in and day-out.

I hope that what i have suggested will help. If you have any more concerns I'd pop back to your HV or GP.

Good luck and i hope that little Finley is ok.

:xxx3:

LAURA
28.05.10 My miracle son Harry was born 5 weeks early, by c-section lurve

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "landi" (Mar 2nd 2009, 9:09pm)

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Monday, March 2nd 2009, 9:33pm

Hi Sarah

Sorry to read that your little one has this problem. Reflux can be hard work, both for baby and for mum. You may find some helpful stuff in this thread where a few of us have discussed our personal experience with it:

reflux

I think the main things I would say about it from my own point of view are that I think the only real solution to it is for baby to grow older and stronger. In the meantime all that can be done is to try to keep them comfortable, and Landi has given some good tips above.

It can be distressing to see your beautiful baby suffering like this but I hop it is some reassurance when I say that my Plum has grown into a happy and strong little girl after the condition completely cleared up over night around the age of ten months.

SarahV

Superstar

Tuesday, March 10th 2009, 10:01am

Thanks LAndi and Rivka, really appreciate the advice. Have tried everything but the nappy point is interesting as hadn't thought of that. He's on medication which is helping with the pain, so on the whole just think I need to wait as you say for him to get stronger!

landi

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 5th 2008

Children: One gorgeous son born on 28th May 2010

Tuesday, March 10th 2009, 10:03am

:hugs:

LAURA
28.05.10 My miracle son Harry was born 5 weeks early, by c-section lurve

Reg: Jun 21st 2007

Tuesday, March 10th 2009, 7:20pm

Hi sarah,

Sorry to hear you are having problemes at the mo. I can empathise as our little jess has reflux. She too was put on infant gavison. Then after another little stay in our local NICU so was put on ranitadine and domperidone as well. This was due to her suffering with a great deal of pain with the reflux. I am affraid long winding sessions seem to go hand in hand with reflux from my expirence and the others of mums with reflux babies that i know of. Have you tried infacol? I found it was not hitting the spot with jess, so we opted for gripe water. Feeding up right seems to help too. I know some people dont agree with dummies, but we found it was needed when j was having a bad attack. It helped her keep the feed in and seemed to sooth her too. I would advise you to talk to you GP or peadiatric Dr and discuss your options. Jess is nearly 1 and it is alot better now.
Hope this helps x x x

SarahV

Superstar

Wednesday, March 11th 2009, 10:02am

Hi Gracey-Lou, appreciate you writing.

Finn is on Ranitadine and Domperidione too as he's been in a lot of pain. Only this week I took him back to the doctors to have the Ranitadine increased, I believe it has to be upped every time he grows now. It does seem to be working, though not 100%. Long winding sessions are what we are having to do too - sounds like it's exactly as you found it. He feeds upright, his bed is raised too... I might try some gripe water as you're right, infacol does nothing!

We're being reffered to the paedatric dept at the hospital, I think I'll be happier when he's got some one keeping an eye on him!

Thanks again
x

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE