You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

landi

Superstar

• "landi" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 5th 2008

Children: One gorgeous son born on 28th May 2010

Sunday, March 15th 2009, 7:06pm

SAFE SLEEPING GUIDELINES

SAFE SLEEPING GUIDELINES

These are the guidelines given to reduce the likleyhood of cot death (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome).

Cot death is where a child (usually under the age of one year) dies in their sleep. There is no known medical reason why this happens but there are some things you can do to help reduce the risk of cot death.

Sleep on their back
It’s recommended that when you put a baby in a cot you place them on their back from the beginning.
Sleeping on their side is not as safe as putting them on their back as they can roll on to their front.
By putting them on their back they are at no greater risk of choking.
If your baby has rolled on to their front in the first 5 – 6 months, gently turn your baby over (don’t feel that you need to do this constantly through the night though).
If they can roll over remember to still put them to sleep on their back, but also remember that they have the strength to move about.

Stop smoking
Babies who are exposed to cigarette smoke are at an increased risk of cot death.
It’s recommended that anyone who wishes to smoke should do so outside of the building where your baby is sleeping.
Keep your baby away from smoky environments.
Don’t share your bed with your baby if you smoke.
For help and advice on how to give up smoking, call the NHS Smoking Helpline 0845 169 0 169.

Too hot or too cold
Babies can overheat for many reasons some include bedding, clothing and if the room is too hot.
If you fold your baby’s blanket, this will count as 2 blankets.
If your baby is hot to the touch or sweating, remove some of the bedding.
Check your blankets as there are some lightweight ones available, which can help.
The most comfortable temperature for a room is 18ÚC (65ÚF).
In the summer months it may be hot enough for your baby not to have any blankets.
Never put your baby with a hot water bottle, electric blanket, next to a fire, heater, radiator, or in direct sunshine.

Feet to Foot
Babies whose head are covered by bedding are at a greater risk of cot death.
Babies wriggle a lot in the night, to prevent this from happening during their sleep and going under the blanket, place your baby’s feet at the foot of the cot, basket or pram.
Be sure to make sure the covers are securely tucked in so that they cannot move over your baby’s head.
It’s recommended that the covers should not be any higher than your baby’s shoulders.
The mattress that you have should be firm, flat and fit the cot you have.
Ideally the outside of the mattress should be waterproof.

Sharing your bed
While it’s precious to have your baby with you for a cuddle or a feed, it’s recommended that you put your baby back in their cot before you go to sleep.

If you do share a bed with your baby the risks are increased if you or your partner:
• Are smokers (no matter where or when you smoke. Even if you never smoke in bed).
• Have recently consumed alcohol.
• Have taken any medication or drugs that make you more sleepy than usual.
Or
• If your baby was premature (born before 37 weeks)
• Was of a low birth weight (less than 2.5kg or 5.5lb)
• Is under 3 months old.

There is also the risk that you could roll over whilst you’re asleep and suffocate your baby, or that you baby could get tangled up in the sheets.
It’s recommended that you never sleep with your baby on a sofa or armchair.

Cot death is rare so try not to let your worrying prevent you from enjoying your baby’s first few months.

Immunisations can also help to reduce the risk of cot death.

IF YOUR BABY IS UNWELL SEEK MEDICAL ADVICE PROMPTLY

Dial 999/112 if you notice your baby:
• Stops breathing or goes blue;
• Is not responding to you and shows no sign that they are aware of what is going on around them;
• Has glazed eyes and does not focus on anything;
• Cannot be woken;
• Has a fit. Even if your baby recovers it’s recommended that you seek medical attention.

Although sleeping monitors cannot prevent cot death, they can be a great comfort and reassurance to parents.

LAURA
28.05.10 My miracle son Harry was born 5 weeks early, by c-section lurve

elmo

Ace

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Monday, March 16th 2009, 8:19am

thanks laura, cot death is such a worry for me as i had a cousin who died in his cot when he was a baby, i found my beside cot a great comfort as i can just reach across and put my hand on their chests without having to get up or disturb them. great info x x
Proud mom of the most beautiful twin girlies!!
2 angels in heaven, never forgotten

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE