You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "graceylou" started this thread

Reg: Jun 21st 2007

Thursday, March 19th 2009, 1:10pm

Shell fish

Hi ladies,

I would love to know when i am allowed to start feeding our little girl the foods that i know are not allowed when they first start weaning. We did the avoid dairy till 6 months and citrus fruit till six months.
But when can i try her on things like shell fish or peanuts. I am not so bothered by the peanuts but i think she would love prawns and other shell fish as she loooves fish in general.

Cheers x x x x

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Thursday, March 19th 2009, 4:18pm

I believe the guideline for pretty much all foods is 12 months however the important word there is "guideline". Hope that helps :D

landi

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 5th 2008

Children: One gorgeous son born on 28th May 2010

Thursday, March 19th 2009, 7:47pm

I've just had a look on the FSA website.

This is what they said:

Don't give any fish or shellfish to babies younger than six months because there is a chance they might have an allergic reaction.

Children should avoid eating any shark, swordfish or marlin. This is because the levels of mercury in these fish can affect the development of children's growing nervous systems.

You might also want to avoid giving raw shellfish to babies and children to reduce their risk of getting food poisoning.

However I agree with Rivika. Probably best to wait til about 12 months. But remember these are guidelines hun. at the nursery we feed the children salmon & tuna when they are about 8 months old.

:xxx3:

LAURA
28.05.10 My miracle son Harry was born 5 weeks early, by c-section lurve

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Thursday, March 26th 2009, 9:00pm

Hmmm... Guidelines vary so drastically - I have read that you should avoid shell fish and peanuts/peanut butter in the first year, then on another site they say not in the first 2 years and then we all get muddled.
Generally I think that if you have no family history of allergies to either of these then you could try a tiny bit when bubs has gotten past the 12 month mark and see how it goes.
C had his first taste of a prawn at about 22 months and has been eating calamari since about 18 months. He still has not had peanut butter as my nephew is allergic to nuts.

In the end you decide which guidelines to follow and do what you feel is right...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Friday, March 27th 2009, 5:06pm

my eldest is allergic to eggs & dairy.
I got him blood tested for peanuts - he's not allergic.

We gave him white fish, salmon, fish fingers etc from 12 months, and the same for his younger brother.

Peter had prawns from about 2.5 yrs old. Jamie from about 16 months. So far no reaction.

We have avoided tuna as well because of mercury scares.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE