You are not logged in.

Unread posts

bubble

Megastar

• "bubble" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Wednesday, April 1st 2009, 8:43pm

Expressing - anyone not doing it/stopped doing it?

Baby bubble is now just over 7 weeks and is exclusively breastfeeding really well :D

Everyone I know has, or is, expressing. I haven't yet - and am not sure whether I want to. I know this may be more restrictive for me in terms of leaving her for any length of time and that if I don't introduce a bottle then she may choose never to take one - but I still don't know if I want to express. Are there any other disadvantages to not expressing?

Has anyone else b/f and never expressed? Or started to express and stopped for some reason?

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, April 1st 2009, 8:53pm

No personal experience but a mum I know at playgroup breastfed for 12 months and her little boy never had anything but boob, just started on cups for water after 6 months, no bottles or artificial teats of any kind. She didn't find it too restrictive and did the same with her second boy.

Michelle

Wednesday, April 1st 2009, 8:54pm

I think it's great that you're not expressing and that baby bubble is doing so well and has the comfort of those lovely breastfeeds. As far as i'm aware, it's so easy for a baby to get milk from a bottle that even if you didn't introduce one for ages she would still take it ok (even if a bit reluctant at first.)

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Wednesday, April 1st 2009, 9:09pm

Hi

I am expressing and have a freezer full but Pinny has recently decided she won't take a bottle (had done from 4/5 weeks), just refuses, and didn't feed (but screamed) at DP for 6.5 hours the other week until she got boob!

I am literally DYING to go have my hair cut and coloured but can't at the min as I don't want to take her to the hairdressers but can't leave her long enough to get my hair done.

The main reason I wanted to express for was 'just in case', what if I'm ill, not about unexpectedly and would stop me stressing if I'd left Pinny with DP.

Is it the 'cow aspect' you're not keen on?

P x
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, April 1st 2009, 9:15pm

My DD1 wouldn't take a bottle until she was 8 months old so although I did express a few times, it was always chucked down the sink (not for lack of trying either!!)

I wished she would take a bottle sometimes to be honest, I did find, several months after she was born, that having the option of a bottle would've been a godsend. For example, she got taken into hospital and was flat on her back at about 5-6 months (ish?) so I had pull the curtain around, climb onto the bed, kneel above her and dangle my breast in her mouth. Not a good look and I really wished she would drink from a bottle at that point.

With DD2 I gave a bottle not because it made my life easier but to keep my options open, if that makes sense? I just wanted it to be a possibility if I needed it to be rather than a decision I made to substitute feeds or so that someone else could do it.

Hundreds of thousands if not millions of women breastfeed without giving bottles so it's certainly an option. For me, with DD2 99.5% of my feeds were breastfeeds but those .5% just kept my options open and I even got to go out once a month and get drunk :snigger:

Michelle

Wednesday, April 1st 2009, 9:25pm

Quoted

Originally posted by philippa_s
she won't take a bottle (had done from 4/5 weeks), just refuses, and didn't feed (but screamed) at DP for 6.5 hours the other week until she got boob!

My lo does that to my dh now too and i often find her with her mouth all over his chest becoming increasingly frustrated :snigger:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

bubble

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Thursday, April 2nd 2009, 10:07am

Quoted

The main reason I wanted to express for was 'just in case', what if I'm ill, not about unexpectedly and would stop me stressing if I'd left Pinny with DP.

Quoted

Originally posted by Bells With DD2 I gave a bottle not because it made my life easier but to keep my options open, if that makes sense?

I think these arguments are the most persuasive - I hadn't thought about it in terms of 'worst case' situations'. Friends who have tried to encourage me to do it are very much from the 'getting drunk every weekend' school of expressing - which is fine , just not me at the moment.

Quoted

Originally posted by philippa_s Is it the 'cow aspect' you're not keen on?

Not really - more that I don't feel especially strong and I worry that if I start her on a bottle albeit infrequently with EBM then it might not take much for me to slip over to formula. I'd like to think that I wouldn't but on those really difficult days, I'm not so sure....

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Michelle

Thursday, April 2nd 2009, 10:20am

Quoted

Originally posted by bubble
Not really - more that I don't feel especially strong and I worry that if I start her on a bottle albeit infrequently with EBM then it might not take much for me to slip over to formula. I'd like to think that I wouldn't but on those really difficult days, I'm not so sure....

But what about if you only freeze what you express for now so that it's there 'just incase' but you are not tempted to use it all the time?

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Thursday, April 2nd 2009, 10:30am

Hun, tbh if you've got through the 1st big growth spurt you're probably over the worst and it will only get easier! I only feed for about 5-10 mins, every 3-4 hours now.

Get out all the stuff you need with formula, do all the sterilsing etc.. and then decide if you would 'slip over'! I bet you won't as it is a lot easier to whip your boobs out.

It may also mean that you can have a little sleep maybe when DH could do a feed so you get 3-6 hours off (although you would prob need to express as soon as you returned/ woke anyway). This is probably a better way to go on a rough day if you're not keen on formula.

Just to be nosey...how much does she weigh now? Has she grown loads?

P x
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

bubble

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Thursday, April 2nd 2009, 12:16pm

Quoted

Just to be nosey...how much does she weigh now? Has she grown loads?

P x

She's 8lb15oz now (7lb 12oz at birth) and hovering around the 9th centile so small-ish (but perfectly formed :D)

On the whole our feeds are only 15mins max - unless she gets distracted by more interesting things going on around her (I've learnt not to wear patterned tops!). And you are right,it is much easier just to whip the boob out.

Perhaps I could just freeze as you say Michelle and then at least it's there should we need it.

I'll have a look at all the paraphenalia (sp) that we'll need and take it from there....

Michelle

Thursday, April 2nd 2009, 2:03pm

Quoted

Originally posted by bubble
I'll have a look at all the paraphenalia (sp) that we'll need and take it from there....

When it comes to the bottles, thought you might like to have a look at these http://www.breastflow.co.uk/
I've not used them myself but a friend of mine has and she says they're brilliant for feeding a baby ebm.

We get on well with the tommee tippee 'closer to nature' bottles that come in little 150ml sizes so that i can hold C side-on when i bottle feed her and then she's in a similar position to when breastfeeding.

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Reg: Nov 22nd 2007

Children: William and Charlotte

Thursday, April 2nd 2009, 5:24pm

Hey bubs, I have just started to express for the just in case situation and am freezing it. I am going out on Saturday night but not drinking and W does not tend to wake until 2-3am once he is settled but the milk is there just in case.

I am not really finding it easy to express (maybe because in the back of my mind, I feel that I am taking much needed milk away from W). It is MUCH easier to 'pop the boob out' and a lot more enjoyable for us both so I don't think I would opt for the bottle but the Tommee Tippee is really good and W took it well but went straight back onto the breast for the next one.

Good luck and let us know what you decide

x

IVF #1 2008 :BFP: William born 15/2/09
Our 6 yr TTC journey WAS over
Shocking natural :BFP: Charlotte born 10/9/11
:happy: Our family is now complete :happy:

mayo

Star

Reg: Jan 17th 2008

Children: 3 big boys ( born '03,'06 & '08)

Thursday, April 2nd 2009, 10:51pm

With M & H I only expressed once they were on solids so I had EBM to mix baby rice with then to put on their weetabix etc
Had to express while L was ill in hospital but more for my own comfort, although the nurses used it to feed him through a tube with eventually so it didn't go to waste.
I have had a few nights of L sleeping through this week and at 4/5am (when he would normally wake for feed) I was wishing I had expressed before going to bed as my boobs felt like they might explode ! I am just so lazy and can't be bothered with all the sterilizing the pump etc. or else I would express - like the idea of having some in the freezer 'just in case' - so far have coped with growth spurts and increased demand for feeds but I guess having some extra there would be peace of mind.
Fed M until 10m so he did have bottles in the end, but fed H until 14m and he went straight from boob to cup, never having had a bottle, and I didn't find it restrictive....although he did sleep through night from 10 weeks and settled into a regular feeding routine during day, all by himself, which made life easier - L's feeding is a bit more unpredictable so I couldn't really leave him for too long just in case....but I don't mind that at the mo.
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Friday, April 3rd 2009, 7:49am

Quoted

Originally posted by mayo
I am just so lazy and can't be bothered with all the sterilizing the pump etc. or else I would express - like the idea of having some in the freezer 'just in case' - so far have coped with growth spurts and increased demand for feeds but I guess having some extra there would be peace of mind.

You could try hand expressing, ok you still have to sterilise the bottles, but as long as your hands are clean, then there's no pump to sterilise and have to put back together. Some links here for the Marmet technique which is supposed to be very good at getting more milk out than a pump: not FZ endorsed.

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr96p51.html

http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/tip…armet-technique

http://parenting.ivillage.com/newborn/nb…0,,42sn,00.html

mayo

Star

Reg: Jan 17th 2008

Children: 3 big boys ( born '03,'06 & '08)

Friday, April 3rd 2009, 9:32am

^^^ thank you for that mrs jasper - that would suit me much better than using the pump I reckon.
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, April 3rd 2009, 4:43pm

Doesn't laziness seem to influence the decision rather a lot? :snigger:

It's a bit like having a smoothie maker. You have to cut the fruit up, work out ratios, wash, dry and store the machine and generally be very organised. The breastfeeding equivalent is chucking the machine in the loft and eating an apple with a glass of water :snigger:

alie

Star

Reg: Oct 14th 2007

Children: Alfred born 10.12.2008 Florence born 21.10.2011

Friday, April 3rd 2009, 8:32pm

I have been fully breastfeeding feeding alfred since he was 2 weeks old, although he had occasional bottles at the beginning due to feeding probs.

Ihave to admit to deing lazy when comes to expressing, I only do it if i'm going out (only been out once!!!!) or if my boobs are so full and he doesn't want to feed, just pop it in the freezer for just in case. I use hand pump and sterilise pre use.

Me 42, DH 43
Nat Pg - m/m 05
unexplained infertility
4xIUI BFN, 1st IVF Oct 07 BFN
1st FET Feb 08 BFP

2nd FET Jan 11 BFP

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE