Caz

Ace

• "Caz" started this thread

Reg: Aug 17th 2008

Children: 2 perfect boys, Thomas & James

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 9:26pm

Feeding Timings - Advice Please

Hi,
I'm after some advice. We're trying to stick to a 3 hour schedule but ds seems to always wake up howling for food after only 2 hours. He then quite often will only feed for about 10mins regardless of all the tricks like cheek stroking/nappy changing etc we try to wake him and get him feeding again. I'm not sure whether I should be giving in to the demands for milk when he wants them or holding firm?? I don't want to get into a cycle of feeding every two hours but I feel so mean witholding. He is 3 weeks old. Any guidance appreciated.
Thanks
IVF/ICSI Aug 08 :BFP: - Thomas born 26/04/09 baby2
FET Aug 10 :BFP: - James born 18/04/11 baby7

Michelle

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 9:45pm

I'm still having that problem and my lo is three months :snigger:
So if you find an answer i'd be interested too!

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 9:49pm

Hi Caz

He's so young - if he wants food two hourly go with that. As the size of his tummy increases he'll be able to take more and go for longer. Baby bubble often only feeds for 10 or 15 mins max and has done so since birth. There's no point sitting there listening to an upset baby if you know that they simply want something you can give them.

Feeding every 2 hours if it's only for 10 mins a time is really not such a bad thing :smile:

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 9:54pm

I agree. Three hours is far too long to expect a three week old baby to do without feeding.

At this age his tummy is tiny and he's designed to fill it often. As a rule of thumb expect to feed a 1 month old baby every hour, a 2 month old baby every two hours and a 3 month old baby every three hours. If your baby goes longer then that's a bonus but it's an awfully big ask for a three week old to go for three hours.

Can I ask how you came to decide on three hour periods between feeds? Was it suggested by a HV?

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 9:57pm

Some of it is for comfort too! I always just fed on demand in the early days (and in fact still do!)

Michelle, my 6 month old still wants her milk feeds every 3 hours as well as food...it's special mummy love lol:D

P x
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 9:59pm

I have to say that I still haven't worked out how (or why) in practice you can 'regulate' feeds for a breastfed baby ?( On demand seems to be the easiest both for mum and baby.

Aww P, special mummy love :D

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 10:12pm

Me neither, quicker and easier to just whip them out although when she was 5 months old and wanted feeding every 2/3 hours in the night it got a little bit 'tiring' shall we say!

So special in fact that when Daddy got up with her this morning, I woke up 3 and a half hours later to screaming and tears..all she wanted was some milk (although she'd filled her face with toast and some egg!!!!!)

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 10:18pm

:yumyum: Egg and soldiers - that's me sorted for tomorrow morning!

Caz - I think Bells' comment about 1 month/1 hour, 2 months/2 hours is a really good one to work with. In practice this is more or less what has happened in our case.

And (and I am fully prepared to be punched virtually for this!! ) we now get a unbroken sleep of between 9 and 12 hours every night - so just because it seems as though you are feeding often during the day, it's not always a 24hour thing.

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 10:20pm

Quoted

Originally posted by bubble

And (and I am fully prepared to be punched virtually for this!! ) we now get a unbroken sleep of between 9 and 12 hours every night - so just because it seems as though you are feeding often during the day, it's not always a 24hour thing.

Good luck chick, I really hope it lasts lol :D We had this for a month but then it miraculously vanished...poof! Never to return!

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 10:22pm

*fingers in ears* la la la can't hear you :P

(I know I'm going to get bitten on the bum hard for saying that openly - wait for my thread entitled 'where has all my sleep gone' :snigger:)

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 10:25pm

Enjoy it whilst you can! That's all I say!! We started chilling out too much and, god forbid, went out (obviously in a cleavage enhancing bra for my assets) and then it became a bit of a shock to the system to have 'not a lot of sleep' again

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 10:28pm

Will make the most of it I promise :D

Sorry Caz, we kind of threadjacked :O

Michelle

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 10:36pm

Quoted

Originally posted by philippa_s

Quoted

Good luck chick, I really hope it lasts lol :D We had this for a month but then it miraculously vanished...poof! Never to return!

I know P, she's showing off isn't she!

I'm sat here very nervously at the moment knowing that C will wake for a feed any moment as she's now been asleep for a whole 4 hours :snigger:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 10:51pm

Caz forget about trying to regulate your baby's feeds. What do you think mums did before we had clocks?!?! This whole regular feeding idea came with bottle feeding--because babies didn't get breast milk it took their tummies longer to digest their food. Try to relax,stop worrying and go with the flow! As long as you make sure your baby is completely zonked after a feed,so you know she's not just "snacking" it's not a problem. Babies are all different, so don't be comparing with your friends' babies. Also ,at 6-8wks it's very common for babies to want to feed almost constantly in the evening.They seem to know that evening and night feeds make mum release higher levels of prolactin (the milk -making hormone) so they're making sure of a good supply. The good side effect of this is that prolactin makes mum sleepy,so although you may not get a long sleep, it will be good quality sleep.
:smile:

Caz

Ace

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 11:11pm

Thank you everyone. My husband and I are very split on this, he wants to stick to a schedule and I want to go with demand. I'm going to insist!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 11:21pm

A routine is a great thing... but later on. In a couple of months your husband will be absolutely right in getting a routine established.

At the moment you have a brand new baby with a tiny stomach and your breastmilk is absolutely perfectly suited to him because it's so easily digestable. His tummy's only been working for three weeks and your milk is teaching it how to digest food. The upside is that your milk is so wonderful because it 'is' so easily digested that his tummy doesn't have to work overtime nor does he need to spend his energy digesting it, as a formula fed infant would. The downside is that easily digested means it needs to be replenished regularly. Little and often is absolutely necessary at this age.

It's only a couple of months of disruption for a lifetime of being a parent but a 3 week old breastfed baby who needs feeding should be fed.

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 11:27pm

Plus you're the one with the boobs so I think that gives you the final word on the matter!

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Sunday, May 17th 2009, 2:54pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Michelle

Quoted

Originally posted by philippa_s

Quoted

I know P, she's showing off isn't she!

I wasn't just showing off - honestly :O It was also to reassure Caz that you can feed on demand and still get a good 'routine' going and that it does get easier. I was completely exhausted and over emotional in those first few weeks and thought it would never get better - but it does :smile:

x

Michelle

Sunday, May 17th 2009, 3:56pm

Awwww i know hun, i was just teasing :D

Caz, i know how you feel at the moment and you think it's never going to get easier but like the others have said, it will do. You're doing a brilliant job!

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Caz

Ace

Sunday, May 17th 2009, 7:35pm

Thanks so much everyone, I feel so much better now! Have banned husband from quoting any of those ridiculous baby bibles from now on!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Sunday, May 17th 2009, 7:45pm

I'm sure your son will thank you for it ... eventually ... :snigger:

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Sunday, May 17th 2009, 8:38pm

timing of breastfeeds

zzzzBubble, my dd(for whom I joined this forum) started sleeping 12 hours every night from the age of 9 weeks--the first night she did it I thought I must have not heard her during thr night and I woke up with boobs like melons (not very big ones I might add) But she did it every night after that until she was about 18 months when I was pregnant with ds.He was totally different--a frequent feeder and liked a breastfeed at 4am until he was about a year old--no matter what time he went down for the night. Just shows how individual babies are!So you never know--it could last long enough!

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Monday, May 18th 2009, 12:49pm

RE: timing of breastfeeds

Coming into this a bit late! But just wanted to add I remember H having a growth spurt at around 3 weeks, and the feeding increased even more, it lasted for a few days, and then settled down.....However, even 'settled down' at 3 weeks meant lots of feeding, and cluster feeding in the evening.

A few months on from this, probably by 4 months, he had settled down to being fed 3-4 hourly.

It is hard at the beginning, and glad you feel better from the advice from the ladies on here, and you are doing the right thing feeding your little man whenever he is hungry!

xxx

<

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, May 18th 2009, 3:38pm

I hope you've hidden all those 'bibles' from your hubbie :D

Apart from the timing issue which is now no more (!) how are things going?

x

Caz

Ace

Monday, May 18th 2009, 10:15pm

Cheers Bubble and all. Today was the first day my husband was back at work so we were a little fraught all by ourselves but other than a few gripes and the odd frustration feed (you know the ones - on again, off again, on again, off again), we're doing ok. Love the little man more than anything so his little face can apease even the most distraught moments (eventually!).

How's everyone else doing?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Caz" (May 18th 2009, 10:16pm)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE