You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "zoe77" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 21st 2007

Children: 2

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 1:23pm

Bottle feeding twins at the same time!

Hi everyone,

my girls are now just over 4 weeks old and i breastfed until friday. because expressing into dr brown bottles was taking too long i am now using sma ready made cartons.

today i am going to be brave and start making up formulas.

anyway, i am really scared about dh going back to work tomorrow and me having to cope feeding them from a bottle at the same time. i seemed to mange ok when breastfeeding.

because they guzzle, have colic and are sickly i can't feed them in their bouncers or car seat as they are leaning too far back. other than propping them up on the sofa i don't know how i am going to manage with the winding etc!

any ideas/experiences of your own welcome!

Icsi Oct 07 BFP 25th Nov - miscarried @ 7 weeks
Icsi April 08 BFP May 23rd
15th Jan 09 - Gave birth to 2 beautiful girls!

Lexie

Star

• "Lexie" is no longer a member of FZ

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 8:36pm

Hi Zoe

I did and still do bottlefeed my girls seperately. I just had to do one and if the other cried, she had to wait. Even now I get Isla up first, feed her, then get Avah up and its the same during the day, I have to do them both seperately as they like to be cuddled in when they feed and hate being fed in their bouncers etc. My DH never took any time off work with having his own business and 9 x out of 10 would be in the single bed for the night feeds as he had work the next day so I used to do most of them on my own as well, it is very hard work but it does get easier I promise you.

Isla suffered terrible from reflux so had to have Baby Gaviscon in every bottle. Its tough when one is crying and you're busy the feeding the other. I also use the Dr Browns bottles and think that they are fab

Ive found these but dont know how successful they are http://www.babybottlecradle.com/ or http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-Butler-Hand…r/dp/B000W4S13M *Not FZ endorsed links*

Try looking for hands free bottles on the net.

Good luck hun x
Me 34,DH, 32. DD15 from prev relationship. Scan 9/07 showed 2 [zx076] [zx076] My perfect little ladies arrived healthy 7 weeks early on 18/3/08 weighing 4lb 8 and 3lb13...Love my three pinkies

:girl: :girl: :girl:

Reg: Jul 30th 2006

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 9:20pm

Hi Zoe,
I fed them one at a time for the first month or so - whoever was crying the loudest got fed first I think, after that I fed them together, with one lying in my lap (head by my knees) and the other lying next to me (again head by my knees) - as they were both horizontal this wont be any good for you at the momment :rolleyes: but it's how I got by. If they're not too impatient or the crying doesn't drive you mad you may find feeding them one at a time works for you. I certainly found life a bit easier once I started feeding them together (particularly the night feeds) so some multi-pillow propping constuction may be the way forward! It is daunting but you will manage it & live to tell the tale!
Good luck xx
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
Bilateral hydrosalpinges discovered May 06
Bilateral salpingectomy June 06
1st IVF August 06 BFN
2nd IVF January 07 BFP Twins!!

Reg: Mar 6th 2006

Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 4:42pm

I fed mine together from 4-5 weeks old hun, I used to lie one with her head on my lap and feet away from me and the other on the opposite leg this worked really well. if you feel they are too low then just rest them both on a pillow or cushion. It's a bit daunting when you know your being left to do it yourself, but you will surprise yourself, good luck hun let us know how you get on.

xx
Melanie
1st IUI cylce 10 March 06 BFN
2nd IUI cycle 19th June 06 BFN
3rd IUI cycle 6th Sep 06 BFN
4th IVF 31st March at St Barts :BFP:

Daisy born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.16am 4lb 13.5 oz
Nuala born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.18am 5lb 10oz

• "Rosie1976" is 39 years old today

Reg: Jul 5th 2006

Tuesday, February 17th 2009, 7:05pm

hi there

My two are now 21 months and I havent posted on here for ages it seems, but I had to reply to you! I was exactly the same but bought some fab Chicco bouncers that you can alternate the height on so they can be very upright. They would sit in these with me on the floor in the middle and I would alternate winding them. Same when we were out in the buggy - would put them to the upright position to feed them. I did it together from about 12 weeks I think, and up till then I did feed them seperately - one plus of bottle feeding is that you know instantly when they are finished and it can be a bit quicker.

From 8 weeks I put gripe water in their milk which helped immensly with winding and colic and I also took them to a cranial osteopath from 4 weeks which worked wonders for their colic. When DH went back to work I was terrified but you soon get into your routine. Best thing I ever did was to do my 3pm feed from the buggy so I managed to be out and about most afternoons which worked wonders for my sanity!

Rosie
xx
me 32 PCOS, DH 39 all good
trying for 3.5 years, 12 months clomid, 1 m/c April 05, Fresh IVF March 06 BFN, FET Oct 06 BFP - Twins!! Littlebits born 29.05.07 and 30.05.07 :]

kasey

Reg: Aug 8th 2007

Wednesday, February 18th 2009, 8:04pm

hi, im new to this too, my two girls were born 12 days ago(5 weeks prem), but as im not with their dad, ive been doing all the feeds by myself from the start. Im feeding between 3-4 hrs at the moment,(not before 3, but anytime after), so its whoever wakes first, then the other will either be woken once finished with first one, or if there stirring, i just get them out the crib, and lay them on the bed with us for a bit of awake time, till were finished.. At the moment, the second twin always wakes within 10 minutes of the first, but the best advice is dont rush the feeds, and dont panic... a little bit of waiting wont hurt them..
Im feeding them on my bed at the moment( live in a flat so its easier), and also can prop the first one up with pillows incase she still has wind, while feeding the second..

good luck and im sure you'll find your own way which works well for you.
Me 36 TTC 7 Years
IUI 5 Failed Cycles 2001
Lasp/emdo dye/Norm2005
Clomid/Injs 1 Failed Cycle 2006
ICSI June 07/(40)Egg Share
1st FET 15/07/:BFN:
ICSI Oct 07/(48 )Egg Share
2nd Fresh trans 10/11/07 :BFN:
IVF June 08/(39)Egg Share
3rd Trans 20/06/08 :BFP:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "kasey" (Feb 18th 2009, 8:05pm)

Reg: Mar 16th 2008

Thursday, February 19th 2009, 8:40pm

Hi, my girls are nearly 14 weeks now and most of the time I feed them seperately, on the rare ocassion that they are both screaming to be fed at the same time I put them both in their bouncy chairs and when I need to burp one of them I put a pillow under the others bottle so she can keep going. One of my girls has bad reflux so I tend not to do this unless absolutely necessary asm I need to burp her quite regularly.

Don't worry too much about being on your own, I remember the first day my dh went back to work was a nightmare but only because I was so stressed the next day when I saw that I could cope it was so much easier and now 3 months on it a dawdle lol!!!!

Good luck

Lesley
Lesley

bab19 bab19
My two beautiful girls, Imogen and Mya were born 18th November 2008

• "zoe77" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 21st 2007

Children: 2

Saturday, February 21st 2009, 6:38pm

Thank you for all your tips, i have had an awful week and not been able to check on here!

at the moment i am doing most feeds seperately and fortunatlely have mum or mil round for some or most of the days. i have tried propping them up on the sofa or feeding them in their bouncers with a cushion wedged behind which seems to work.

Eloise was diagnosed with reflux this week and isabels' colic has worsened considerably. we are lucky to be getting 4 hours sleep and the stress is taking its toll. i am considering getting anti-depressants on monday as i just feel so crap about everything :(

anyway, i shall post another thread about all that. any more suggestions on feeding positions still greatly appreciated.

xxx

Icsi Oct 07 BFP 25th Nov - miscarried @ 7 weeks
Icsi April 08 BFP May 23rd
15th Jan 09 - Gave birth to 2 beautiful girls!

• "jane april" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: May 22nd 2006

Children: twin girls

Saturday, February 21st 2009, 8:59pm

hun i dont get to come on here much anymore cause i have my hands full with the girls but just wanted to say that i still feed my girls separately as ella is a nightmare feeder and i just find it easier that way as they tend to wake separately anyway and cause i dont get to cuddle them much separately now they are awake so much during the day i find it gives me quality time with them. but that is just my preference, also ella feeds her bib with most of her milk!!! so i am constantly having to wipe her face lol.

ps i also went through a bad time having no sleep and really strugglin with having no help whatsover with dh working during the day but trust me it does get better and the anti-d's i was prescribed i havent taken, i have been ok

[zx015]
Me 35, DH 34
DH fine, me blocked tubes and adhesions
1st IVF BFN,December 06 tubal surgery,2nd IVF BFN,3rd IVF :BFP: TWINS
5 frosties
April 09 ectopic pregnancy

bab10 bab10
our babies are two pink frillies

Reg: Mar 6th 2006

Saturday, February 21st 2009, 9:42pm

I alway waked mine if one was sleeping and the other needed feeding. My friend used to feed her's separately and said she found that my the time she had finished feeding both of them it was time to start the first one again. Her's weren't great feeders thou and used to take ages to feed. But she did end up feeding them at the same time in the end. But every baby is different you have just got to do what I call trial, try different things and find what works for you.

xxx
Melanie
1st IUI cylce 10 March 06 BFN
2nd IUI cycle 19th June 06 BFN
3rd IUI cycle 6th Sep 06 BFN
4th IVF 31st March at St Barts :BFP:

Daisy born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.16am 4lb 13.5 oz
Nuala born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.18am 5lb 10oz

kski

Ace

Reg: Mar 26th 2006

Wednesday, April 1st 2009, 2:33pm

hi

try a v pillow and prop them up in that - we Conditioned our to being fed together - but have found they have phases - T will eat more quuickly , but drink more slowly -than M - and just when you think there is a pattern they change -

feeding them inth pram is a good idea - infact in another few weeks you will be happy to give them a botlle anywhere.

best of luck -

k
DAD to twins

Mella

Star

Reg: May 17th 2008

Children: Identical twins girls after 21 months of trying and alot of tears and heartache

Wednesday, May 27th 2009, 4:55pm

Hi Zoe

I hope things are going better with you now!! I know how you are feeling and with no help it takes its toll. Some days I just need o get out of the house otherwise I will go crazy.

I put them into their cots and but a blanket or cusion under the bottle and their they go. I dont wind them that often anymore because in the night they don't go back to sleep if I wind them, I don't change nappies unless it is a poo nappy. They don't want to be desturbed at night. We are still on a 3-4 hour feeding day and night, the longest they will sleep is 5 hours in the evening and that is that.

How are you doing?

bab10 bab10

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE