Caz

Ace

• "Caz" started this thread

Reg: Aug 17th 2008

Children: 2 perfect boys, Thomas & James

Sunday, May 31st 2009, 8:51pm

How much should he drink?

Hi All,
My DS is 5 weeks old now and we've decided to introduce one expressed bottle in the evening. We just did our first. The expressing was fine as I seem to be a milk machine but I'm unsure about how much he should take. I've been a bit worried about how little time he feeds for on the breast but the hv have said it's fine as he's gaining weight. However tonight I'd say he only took about 60ml from the bottle and there were two large sick ups during that too. What is a good amount and how do I get him to drink a bit more volume a bit less often?
Cheers
IVF/ICSI Aug 08 :BFP: - Thomas born 26/04/09 baby2
FET Aug 10 :BFP: - James born 18/04/11 baby7

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Sunday, May 31st 2009, 9:18pm

Hi Caz

I'm not expressing so can't give you an answer from experience but this link http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html might help as from it you can work out what an 'average' feed amount for him might be. (Not an FZ endorsed link)

In terms of how often he feeds, baby bubble has only ever fed for 10/15mins max at each feed. If your DS is putting on weight well etc I wouldn't worry about how long he spends on the breast as he can effectively get what he needs in that space of time.

How often is he feeding now? I'm not sure that there is any way you can really get him to take more volume less often if he doesn't want to as at 5 weeks his tummy is still so small. However if you thinking he is 'snacking' rather than taking a full 'meal' you could try breaking your feeds up with a nappy change or a burp break for 5 mins or so in between to see if he'll go for longer then? You could try the same when giving the bottle as well - although I imagine if he was sick a couple of times he might have taken enough on board.

I wouldn't worry about it too much to be honest - it sounds as though you're doing great :D

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Sunday, May 31st 2009, 9:34pm

Hi Caz

Baby being sick 'can' be to do with the bottles themselves as it comes out a lot more easily and quicker than it does a boob, so baby gets a bit excited and then is sick!

In terms of how long he feeds for. some babies like to take their time (and use mummy as a bit of a comforter at same time!) others just feed and go. I 'believe' (and pls others correct me if i'm wrong) that they tend to get the majority of the feed in the first few mins anyway.
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Tuesday, June 2nd 2009, 12:07pm

You're right Philippa, most babies do take the bulk of the feed in the first 5 mins or so. :yumyum:

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Tuesday, June 2nd 2009, 12:07pm

You're right Philippa, most babies do take the bulk of the feed in the first 5 mins or so. :yumyum:

Caz

Ace

• "Caz" started this thread

Reg: Aug 17th 2008

Children: 2 perfect boys, Thomas & James

Tuesday, June 2nd 2009, 11:39pm

Thanks all - he seems to be getting the hang of it and taking a bit more now.
IVF/ICSI Aug 08 :BFP: - Thomas born 26/04/09 baby2
FET Aug 10 :BFP: - James born 18/04/11 baby7

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE