You are not logged in.

Unread posts

bubble

Megastar

• "bubble" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Saturday, June 6th 2009, 10:03pm

Supplemental nursing systems

It's been recommended to me to use one of these http://www.medela.co.uk/UK/breastfeeding…cts/nursing.php with expressed milk to supplement baby bubble's feeds as an attempt to improve her weight gain.

I wondered if anyone on here had used one and had any practical experience of them that they could share?

Thanks

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Saturday, June 6th 2009, 10:52pm

RE: Supplemental nursing systems

Sorry I've not had any experience of this system but I have heard of using this to feed adopted babies formula,to simulate breastfeeding, and some say that they have lactated as a result. (don't quote me on this one--it could be "urban myth"!! ) sshh What's wrong with baby Bubble's weight anyway?

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Sunday, June 7th 2009, 9:26am

RE: Supplemental nursing systems

Good morning bubble (do you like a capital b or don't you mind ?) I've been researching a bit this morning, and there are several books on inducing lactation in adoptive mothers---so my memory's not playing tricks!! Being of advanced years I always have to consider the possibility ! I sometimes think that regular weighing of breastfed babies is not a good thing. They differ from bottle feeders in that weight gain is variable. As long as your baby is well,seems contented and happy,has plenty of wet nappies, and a dirty nappy at least once or twice a week with normal,loose yellow stools, they're fine. I think we have to remember that babies have been breastfed since time immemorial and survived without scales ! I hardly ever had my two weighed--I knew they were well.I'm sure I still have their clinic records somewhere,but can't remember where I put them when we moved house 3 years ago.
I think Bells might agree with me on this !??! Another thing--you're reaching the stage where your breasts may not feel full before feeds, but that just means your body is getting more efficient at this and doesn't need to stock your breasts in advance--it makes milk while baby bubble is feeding. Clever eh ! :D

bubble

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Sunday, June 7th 2009, 8:24pm

Thanks Chris - and yes, I know Bells agrees with you :D

Baby bubble (and I don't mind upper or lower case!) is, let's say, on the small side. She's fallen from the 50th centile down through to the 2nd, which she was following, but has just dropped off that too. I've taken advice from La Leche League and they suggested one of these systems as an alternative to giving her a bottle of expressed breast milk - which is what my HV has suggested. She's put on an average of 3oz per week since birth which even LLL say is on the low side of what a breastfed baby can be expected to put on.

I'm just toying with all the options at the moment, trying to work out what's best to do. I veer from the confident sensible position that you describe above to being a worried wreck about her.

The issue is not so much a supply issue but more that she seems to have little interest in feeding - at least for any length of time.

I didn't know that about making milk now whilst she feeds. How clever :smile:

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Monday, June 8th 2009, 8:54am

:smile:Hi bubble, How many feeds does baby bubble take in 24 hrs ? Maybe she'd do better on little and often ? Another possibility, which I'm sure LL or HV have suggested, is expressing from the breast that she has just fed from,so that you get the high calorie fatty milk, and topping her up with that ,using a cup or spoon if you don't want to use a bottle. But the Lactaid or the Medela system might feel like a more natural one for you.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, June 8th 2009, 9:16am

It's such a tough call isn't it? If we could move you forward a year and give you the benefit of hindsight you would probably continue feeding as you are because in a year you'll 'probably' have a perfectly well proportioned and healthy little girl, regardless.

If your head and heart say "she's absolutely fine!" but you're having a constant niggle that she's somehow not 'quite' getting enough then that's probably enough for you to make that informed choice to try something like the Medela. I think the only problem with things like this is that they require a lot of preparation, assembly, sterilisation, expressing.... and then it'll take some adjustment for you both while you get to be effectively feeding from the system. The benefit is that you'll probably feel as if you're actively doing something constructive to improve her weight gain which will alleviate some of your worries. The side effect may be that she does indeed take some milk and maybe gain a little more weight.

Have you tried a bottle at all, just out of interest? I just had a look at your ticker and I think you're well established with breastfeeding at almost 4 months so there's no fear of her getting nipple frustration. I have a vague memory that you're not going to bother with bottles at any point ..... (seriously, memory like a tea bag :O ) if so then fair enough. They're a handy thing have at your aid but such a faff, I can understand not bothering.

bubble

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Monday, June 8th 2009, 1:25pm

Thanks both.

Chris - I think she does better on little and often but the HVs said not to feed her any more frequently than 3 hours to make sure she is hungry and gets to the hindmilk. Problem with that is she can spend an hour fussing and crying and getting so worked up that by the time we are 'allowed' to feed she is so harrassed she finds it hard to feed and/or takes a small feed and then zonks out. And I'm sure she uses loads of calories getting so upset. So we're not really following that advice unless she is completely calm and relaxed or asleep for the period.

In terms of number of feeds she has one on waking, one mid morning, one early lunch and one late lunch then a late afternoon and then possibly one before her final one before bed. So that works out at about 5 or 6 a day then sometimes two or three overnight (between 7 and 7).

Bells - I know in a years time I'll be kicking myself for worrying so much. But I'm constantly having this niggling feeling that her weight 'is' an issue and that by not doing anything I'm creating problems for her developmentally and health wise in the future. :sadface:

We've not tried a bottle at all. The only thing she's ever had in her mouth is my boob or her thumb! But we now have some and all the paraphenalia that goes with them.

Speaking to another local mum it seems that practice locally is to refer to the paed when they drop any further than where she is now so I desperately want to avoid that. But then, perhaps that in itself will alleviate my worries if they say she is perfectly healthy.

Thank you. I know it must seem that I bang on about this all the time but I just don't have the confidence at the moment to completely believe that all is fine as it is

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Monday, June 8th 2009, 2:41pm

Hi Bubble

If she prefers little and often have you tried feeding her from the same boob for a set period of time, therefore if she doesn't get hindmilk in the first feed she may get it after iykwim (a wise woman once gave me the same advice!)

Sorry u've got this worry

P x
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

Michelle

Monday, June 8th 2009, 2:59pm

Awwww Bubble, i just wanted to offer you a hug :cuddle
Our babies are on the totally opposite ends of the weight chart for their age but both beautiful, healthy, wonderful little girls :smile:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Monday, June 8th 2009, 3:50pm

:smile Hi bubble,You could be right in that paed referral would ease your mind.But remember your little bubble is not losing weight, she's just not gaining at the rate they would like. If she hadn't been weighed at all, would you be worrying about her? Or have seeds of doubt been planted in your mind ? Is she an otherwise happy, healthy baby ? I must say I never got to grips with centiles--I think they were invented to give mums something else to worry about :laugh:

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Monday, June 8th 2009, 4:15pm

:D Me again. I tried to edit but took too long,so I'll have to do this all over-now what did I say? ?( Oh yes- I think you're right to ignore the"don't feed more often than 3hrly so she'll be really hungry" rubbish.(I'm being polite here!) I think you know by now when your baby is hungry,and yes, she will be using up calories getting upset,and then is too tired to take a proper feed--vicious circle !
As long as you're sure she's not "snacking" and is absolutely zonked when she comes off the breast, and you're happy to feed her frequently,it's up to you ! :smile:

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE