You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dusky7

FORUM MENTOR

• "Dusky7" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 12th 2008

Children: Two beautiful little girls, so so lucky!! :)

What's Up?
:hello:

Friday, August 28th 2009, 3:55pm

V v windy baby - please help!!

Hi guys, I am in desparate need of some advice please.

My dd is 6 weeks today (ignore ticker, I did in fact have her, eventually! I can't seem to change it!).

For about the first 4 weeks seemed to bf no problem but now it is a real struggle. She generally has a good 10 mins, apparently I have a really fast flow, so the HV says, I hear her gulping away. Then after than she either gets fractious and pulls off, really wriggly and arms and legs flaying everywhere, or she starts choking and spluttering. I hear wind going down her hugely. I then wind her, sometimes for 10/15mins, I know there's more in there than I get out cos I hear it going back down again after... Then I try and put her back on, she definitely looks like she wants it but doesn't seem to 'go for it', she cries so I try and wind her and she cries, so I try to put her back on and she cries...

It is really starting to upset me and I am thinking of expressing but I really don't want to...

Is it normal to hear a 'schmacking' noise when they feed? I don't know if the latch isn't quite right and so she is taking air in constantly when she feeds. Things seemed much better when my boobs were bigger but now they are settling down a bit and often are much smaller during the day the latch doesn't seem so good... Does that make sense?

Her feeding times really vary, can be every hour and half during the day but sometimes can be 3 and a half. Night time is muh better, normally 4 5 hours, and so boobs much fuller and the feeding seems much smoother...

So sorry to waffle on so much but I really need some help. I haven't managed to get on here recently and am desparate for all youru advice please x

Thank you so much for reading xxxxx

1st ICSI - Oct 08 - :BFP:!!! DD born July 2009 : D
1st FET - May 11 - BFN
2nd FET - Sept 11 - BFN
3rd FET - Jan 12 - :BFP: DD2 born October 2012 : D
2nd ICSI - May 18 - BFN
4th FET - Sept - ???

DUSKY'S FET DIARY

Tatiana

Superstar

Reg: May 26th 2008

Children: William Arthur and Emily Annabelle

Friday, August 28th 2009, 4:45pm

hello sweetheart,
Hope all is well with you and DD.
I uised to have the same promlem with William, but now when he get older problem is setteld down.
Did your HV advise you a infacal or gripe water, this will help your DD a lots.
Hope i had give you some help.
Tatiana :xxx3:
Wish you all good luck and BFP in 2011

its a girl

Michelle

Friday, August 28th 2009, 6:08pm

Bells or Fi's mum will know more than me but i know that Bells is very busy at the moment so thought i'd help as best i can.

I have to say that my dd is also a very noisy feeder and i have been told that it's due to her being poorly latched on but i'm not too worried as she feeds ok these days. Have to tried getting some bf support and possibly somebody to have a look at how your dd is latching on? Your hv will be able to point you in the direction of a local group, if you want to go that is!

About the windy, fussy feeding business - are you sure that she's still hungry after her 10 mins? If she's a guzzler like you say, then perhaps she has actually had enough. What happens if you dont put her back on after you've winded her?
The choking and spluttering might not be due to wind but could be overactive letdown or over abundant supply. How often do you alternate breasts? I think i read on another thread that Bells suggested using one boob for a four hour period and then the other one after the four hours to help with this......might that help?

I'm sure that Bells and others will able to help more.

You are doing great though, it's so hard at first isn't it? I can assure you that it does get easier soon :smile:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Friday, August 28th 2009, 8:55pm

Hi Dusky,
Try not to get too disheartened, you obviously have a great supply of milk. You've done great to get this far so keep your chin up.

Just to echo what Michelle said, try and get yourself to a breastfeeding group to get an expert to check your attachment and make sure its spot on. It can really help and also its great to meet other mums at the same stage you are and stop you getting lonely.

I also thought when reading your post that she may well be getting enough out of your breast in 10 min, at this age her sucking is getting more efficient so she might not need any more after that. You could try winding her mid feed, so feed for 5 mins, take her off and wind her then put her back on for 5.

I find if DD is a bit windy, I find lying her across my arm on her tummy helps, the pressure on her tummy seems to comfort her and relieve the wind. I've tried infacol before each feed but I'm not absolutely convinced it makes any difference, but there's no harm in trying it though and I know mums who swear by it.

Was going to waffle on a bit more but I see the cavalry's arrived in the shape of Fi'smum so hopefully, she will sort you out!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Friday, August 28th 2009, 9:26pm

RE: V v windy baby - please help!!

Hi Dusky, you're right in thinking that you shouldn't hear a "schmacking" noise when your baby's feeding. It does suggest she's not latching on properly, (the sound you hear is her breaking the vacuum that there should be around your breast) I know it seems strange when she has been feeding well up till now, but it's easy when you reach this stage to let her latch herself on without paying as much attention as you did in the beginning. Then she carries on the bad habit. If you can't find someone to check your positioning, try going back to what you did when you started - hold her the way you did then and shape your breast, aim nipple at nose and guide her on. Make sure she is well supported so she doesn't slip back. It does sound as if you have a vigorous letdown, but she shoul be learning how to control the flow a bit by now. Once you get this sorted out, you should find that she won't swallow as much air, which at the moment is making her tummy uncomfortable. I wish you just lived around the corner and I could pop round as it's difficult to advise without seeing you. She's probably taking as much as she needs in 5-10 mins, so maybe you don't need to put her back on after winding.
Looking at what you said about it being smoother when your breasts are fuller - perhaps you could try holding her in closer when they don't seem so full.
Hope this helps, and well done for sticking with it and looking for help rather than give up as many do.It will all get easier - honest !

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Saturday, August 29th 2009, 1:09pm

RE: V v windy baby - please help!!

Hi Dusky, just popped in to see how you were doing. Hope things are improving.

Dusky7

FORUM MENTOR

• "Dusky7" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 12th 2008

Children: Two beautiful little girls, so so lucky!! :)

What's Up?
:hello:

Friday, September 25th 2009, 3:24pm

Hi guys, so sorry I haven't been on to thank you for your responses.... thank you!

Found out a few weeks ago from GP that DD has reflux. Tried Infant Gaviscon for 2wks but didn't seem to make any difference, other than make her constipated. Then tried Ranitidine which made her bring up all of her milk (she has silent reflux so didn't do this before). Now waiting to see a Paediatrician.

Will start another thread (if she stays asleep for long enough).

Thanks so much guys, haven't managed to get before on as things v manic still xxxxx

1st ICSI - Oct 08 - :BFP:!!! DD born July 2009 : D
1st FET - May 11 - BFN
2nd FET - Sept 11 - BFN
3rd FET - Jan 12 - :BFP: DD2 born October 2012 : D
2nd ICSI - May 18 - BFN
4th FET - Sept - ???

DUSKY'S FET DIARY

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, September 25th 2009, 4:45pm

Hi Dusky,

Sounds like you've been having a tough time!

Has anyone suggested any feeding positions and techniques to help with your particular problems?

If not then I would suggest holding baby upright when you feed her so that she's almost sitting up facing you rather than lying down. Now that your breast isn't as full as it was initially, it may help you to use the pinch tenchnique or the scissor technique to help get more breast tissue into her mouth. The pinch technique is using your fingers and thumb, the scissor technique is using your index and middle fingers to 'gently' compress the breast behind the nipple so that it's flat and lined up with her closed lips. As you rub your nipple at about her nose height she should tip her head back and at that point you bring her swiftly to your breast, right up to your fingers and at that point you whip your hand away. This 'should' help her to get a really good mouthful of breast, sucking your nipple right to the back of her throat and getting a good airtight seal. This also helps your baby to regulate her own intake of milk by clamping her tongue to the roof of her mouth to stop the flow.... something that only a properly latched baby can do without chomping down.

If your letdown reflex is good then you might want to take her off the breast as soon as the initial jets of milk slow down. This might only take 45 seconds, a minute, a minute and a quarter...depending on how fast it is and how much there is. As soon as that inital milkfest has slowed then try winding her immediately before putting her back on. If you can get the wind out of her tummy before it has a thick layer of milk on top of it, combined with an improved latch and a more upright feeding position, you may find things improve.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE