You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "picklesmum" started this thread

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: 1 beautiful baby girl, our little miracle!

Tuesday, September 8th 2009, 2:18pm

Requesting part time hours

I'm on maternity leave at the mo and originally hoped to have a year off which would mean me going back in April. May decide to go back after 9 months not sure yet. Anyway I worked full time and work just assume that I'm having a year off but I've never broached working 3 days a week with them. I want to write to them and request this and a colleague has suggested I do it soon as we are merging with another compay from 1st Oct and its best to get any requests in soon.

I agree as if they say no at least I will know where I am but firstly I'm not sure how to word the letter and secondly how can I do it when I don't know exactly when I'm going back? Should I just do it as if I'm still having the full year?

Can anyone help me with how to word the letter please?

Thanks

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "picklesmum" (Sep 8th 2009, 2:19pm)

Wednesday, September 9th 2009, 9:28am

Writing letter to my Boss

Dear John,

As you are aware I am due to return from maternity leave on Friday 14th May 2010, this is made up by 9 months maternity leave ending on Thursday 14th January then 3 further months unpaid additional maternity leave ending on Thursday 15th April plus my annual 4 weeks holiday entitlement for April 2009 to April 2010.

I would be grateful if consideration could be given to reducing my working hours to 3 days a week. I am aware of the merge that will be taking place and I don't know if the office layout will be the same and whether it will affect myself and Elaine if we are off at the same time so bearing this in mind I was thinking if at all possible that I could work Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and have Mondays and Tuesdays off. This would be a permanent change of hours.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss my request further and I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Does this sound okay?

Is it okay for me to just put John as I know he's definately the person who will deal with it or do I have to be more formal? Also is it necessary to mention my colleague, ideally I would like Thursdays and Fridays off but another colleague has these days off so I don't think I would be able to.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "picklesmum" (Sep 9th 2009, 9:30am)

GemH

Star

Reg: Nov 27th 2006

Location: Romford - Me 30. MC @ 14 wks Aug 03. 7 courses of Clomid all bfn, waiting for af to start iui when shock natural bfp. M/C 29/06/2010.Separated from ex-DH in 07/10. In a new(ish) relationship with an old friend and ttc no 2 :)

Children: George 21/11/2008 - my surprise natural bfp. Oliver 09/05/2013 - my little happy chappy

Wednesday, September 9th 2009, 9:50am

Hi

It shounds absolutely fine. You are looking for a meeting regarding it so no further elaboration is really needed, this can be discussed at a later date. Youre giving them plenty of time! I mentioned my colleague by namealso as I thought it showed that Id thought about the implications that my change of hours would have on the company. I addressed mine to my manager but called him Mr ???? rather than his first name, depends how you think you should write it. Direct Gov I found really helpful the flexible working section.

Is that any help? x

GemH

Star

Location: Romford - Me 30. MC @ 14 wks Aug 03. 7 courses of Clomid all bfn, waiting for af to start iui when shock natural bfp. M/C 29/06/2010.Separated from ex-DH in 07/10. In a new(ish) relationship with an old friend and ttc no 2 :)

Children: George 21/11/2008 - my surprise natural bfp. Oliver 09/05/2013 - my little happy chappy

Wednesday, September 9th 2009, 9:50am

Meant to say sounds! Sorry! x

Michelle

Wednesday, September 9th 2009, 9:55am

I agree with Gem that shouldn't use his first name unless you know him very well.

Also, i wouldn't mention the names of anyone you work with.

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

amyeliz87

Superstar

Reg: Jul 21st 2009

Children: 2 angels watching over us & our precious DD Scarlett Leigh <3

Wednesday, September 9th 2009, 10:00am

Sounds fine, but a Mr as said above.
And, in a way, they have managed without you for 6-9 months already so you having same days off as another girl, shouldn't technically make a difference??
April 12 - IVF - :BFP:

Wednesday, September 9th 2009, 10:18am

Gem H - Yes I am giving them a lot of time because we are merging with another 2 firms and my colleague has told me to get in quick as some other people are wanting to change around hours I think (from the other firm).

Michelle- Yes I think I will put Mr, I did think John sounded quite pally but we (at the moment) are only an office of 10 people so I do know him well, I feel a bit daft putting Mr to be honest but it is more professional.

Not sure about mentioning colleague or not, if I put that I wanted Thursdays and Fridays off I know they will probably say no as at the moment myself and 2 other colleagues help out on the phones and we're not allowed to have the same time off usually. Hopefully if I offer a solution i.e having different days off than her they will be more likely to say yes!

Amyeliz87- I keep saying to DH that I hope they don't say no that they can't do without me being full time as they're managing without me now!

Hopefully it will work in my favour as when we merge (the takeover is supposed to be from 1st October but don't know when we will all be actually moving into 1 office) there will be more staff to cover!

GemH

Star

Wednesday, September 9th 2009, 10:19am

My letter was writen after my meeting however, so my manager basically helped me put my case together and he said the more info the better but that is specific to him. x

Monday, October 5th 2009, 4:09pm

Working out pay from full time to part time?

I have requested to do 3 days when I go back to work in March but how do I work out what I'm likely to get now? It's probably easy to do I know!

JENSQUI

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Monday, October 5th 2009, 4:18pm

RE: Working out pay from full time to part time?

your HR dept will be able to work this out accurately.

but, roughly, if you used to work 5 days a week, then it will be 3/5ths (60%) of what you used to get.......remember you'll also get less holidays.

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE