You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Chilli

Megastar

• "Chilli" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 4:09pm

What would you do?

I have been working one day a week as a temp (well 9.30 till 2pm :O ) for the last 5 weeks, the office where I work is awful it is filthy and they all smoke I mean ALL of them there are about 8 people who work there.

Everywhere you look there is an ashtray chairs, window sills, desk, cabinets ect it really is disgusting. Anyway they then inform me that they have no intentions of stopping when the ban comes in on the 1st July they would rather go to prison (sorry I find it incredible a mature adult would even say that) they are solicitors and see it as a breech of human rights, nevermind mine as a non smoker.

Since being there i have found out that i am pg and so now I am really concerned, I don't want to let them know yet as I think they will want me to leave but at the same time I can't work there surrounded by their smoke, I need to earn some money albeit a small amount.

I contacted the temping agency today to see if they had anything else but they don't I really don't know what to do now :(

Well i do I will have to leave just so annoyed as it suited me perfectly except for the secondary smoke!

aaarrrghhhhh neded to get that off my chest!

• "spangle" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Nov 14th 2005

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 4:32pm

I am sure that there is somewhere you can report them to on the 1st july.
What is the boss like or are they one of the smokers?

The new law affects everyone one (Even solisitors lmao - yea i know what they are like!)

You shouldnt have to put up with it, maybe have a look on the goverment website about the new law.
10 IVF's 4 FET
4 PG all ended in m/c
Mummy to 5 angels

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 4:38pm

Sue them and get paid leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Chilli

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 4:43pm

Wella love that idea!

yes Simone it is the boss who is willing to go to prison .....hope she does after saying it!

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Children: 6 yr old gorgeous girl, single mum now

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 5:01pm

i say tell them and make a fuss- if you are prepared to leve anyway, you've nothing to lose and it isn't fair on you or bubs!
adoption...after a typically long journey, approved November 05, linked with strawb December 05, Brought our princess home May 06, aged 21 months

single mum since dec 08, and very grateful for the FZ support through the whole lot xx

** CLICK TO SUPPORT FZ **

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 5:06pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Torisen
Sue them and get paid leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bloody would, shocking behaviour and SO juvenile!

Surely as your actual employer the temping agency has an obligation to ensure that any places of work are within the law and safe for you! I realise you probably don't want to get yourself labelled as a complainer or trouble maker but there are other agencies if they make things difficult for you and you could probably even sue them if they did ho ho! Actually I can see a way here that you would never need to work again ;)

Chilli

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 6:04pm

Tell me more Rivka!!

I don't want to be the whinger and the temping agency are now aware and are going to visit the office on monday so it doesnt look like I said anything just a quick visit and then hopefully sort the issue out.

Children: DS#1 (clomid) 1999 -vb - DS#2 (natural BFP) c-sec

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 6:06pm

Chilli - if your agency don't have anything else at the moment are there other agencies in your area that you could register with and maybe get some work through them?

Elaine
x
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)
DS#2 MAY 2006 - MIRACLE !!

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Max born March 07 - thanks to frozen embryo transfer, our little miracle

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 6:19pm

You are not a whinger Chilli - I think you have done the right thing putting it in the hand of your agency. Hope it gets sorted for you and bumps sake xx

5 x ICSI b.f.n
1 x FET resulting in my gorgeous son born 2007

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 6:48pm

i would report em all! it will be the law....END OF! :D

i would be as mad as hell chilli, how can they expect someone who doesnt smoke to put up with it??

they should go out on the fire escape in the snow like every one else is going to have to evil2

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Reg: Feb 8th 2007

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 6:51pm

It is just as much your right not to smoke as it is for them to smoke. We are having a nightmare with this at work at the mo. Chilli what town do you live in and i'll try and find the number you can ring.

Me - 29 +1 DH - 35 Male Factor

Chilli

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 6:58pm

The job is in Folkestone.

My problem with finding another job is I look pg already (seriously I have a bloated belly!) so who will employ me? I did go and see an old boss who offered me a few days a week which was perfect but the woman who took over from me knows how close we were and has said she doesn't need help I know full well she does....I knew I never liked her!

Anyway I am going to the smokey office tomorrow and I will tell them how I feel and that I am pg, i know they like what I have done so far as one of them text me today to say how great it all was so maybe I will be ok, but I doubt it somehow if not then I will walk!

cookie

Superstar

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 7:04pm

hope it goes well hun....it is hard to try and seperate people from their ciggies...i know i was one of them! but you have to tell them for your babies sake...and they have to do something about it as you are meant to have a risk assesment in early pg to make sure you and your baby are safe...in a smoky atmos you arent..plus theyd be breaking the law...and they cant make life hard for you as when you are pg you have more rights and you could say that they are doing it just cos you are pg....the cogs are turning lol! ....can you hear em?? :D

let us know how you get on

k xxx

xxx

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Rivka

Thursday, June 28th 2007, 10:28am

You are definitely doing the right thing, pregnant or not, you shouldn't have to sit in their smoke. Glad to hear that your agency are being responsible about this.

Ethel

Star

Thursday, June 28th 2007, 6:01pm

Yes def hun - you shld not put up with it even if you were not preggies. Hope it went well today

I was quite surprised today - I get on at a village station that is outside - no waiting room or ticket office or anything and there is a sign there saying you cant even smoke on the platform there - I am not bothered because I dont smoke. Just thought it wld not be affected by it as its outside.

When i went to wales the other week it was lovely in the pubs smoke free made such a difference.

Binky

Star

Reg: Aug 27th 2006

Children: 1 beautiful Little Girl with help from clomid.

Thursday, June 28th 2007, 6:09pm

The worst I find is when you come out of the supermarket and 10 people are lighting up like they can't wait to get to the car grrr I always end up with a mouth full of smoke yuk. Roll on 1/7

Ethel

Star

Thursday, June 28th 2007, 6:20pm

I know Blinkey - one bloke I work with has is cigarette sticking outside his packet on his desk so its ready for him to light up when he leaves

Was reading today though that a lot of working mans clubs are going to be affected by this as a lot of the older people there smoke and they cant afford to do the alternations

Binky

Star

Reg: Aug 27th 2006

Children: 1 beautiful Little Girl with help from clomid.

Thursday, June 28th 2007, 7:24pm

Thats shocking about the bloke.

The thing is I have no problem with smokers just not in most public places.

I don't mind pubs that don't sell food or in working mans clubs as I think a smokey atmosphere is expected and I do think that the ban has gone too far in that respect.

Alot of older people will now be isolated and lonely as they have no where to go like the bingo etc. Like my Grandad who lost his wife in Jan had one day out a week to the club on a sunday and now he won't be going because of the ban, he is 75 and has no interest in anything else.

My nan that dies in Jan loved the bingo but was a chain smoker what would she have done, her one day out was on a saturday with my Mum.

BUT places like bus stops and markets and in shop door ways and enterance to hospitals etc thats where I hate it with a passion!! AND its not banned there is it???

Chilli

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Thursday, June 28th 2007, 8:56pm

Well today was a great success :))

He came in and started telling me what he expected out of me and that I need to come in on a set day (i must admit I have been going in whenever I felt like it :O ) so when we had decided on a day I said I had a few things to say ..........

I told him I was pg and that I wanted the office tidied up it was a terrible mess and I couldn't work in it any longer, so he agreed that he would be out of bounds, i then got interupted by the phone, the agency called and asked how it was going and that they would call in on monday but I wanted to talk to them first so when I got home I called and asked if they really intented to continue to smoke after the ban, he said they did orginally but as I am pg they have all decided it's not fair and one of the non smoking girls has really kicked off and said she will tell on them if they dared smoke now I am there, so they are going to stop :D I am over the moon :D

Rufus

Star

Children: One son, aged 8, daughter 1

Thursday, June 28th 2007, 9:21pm

Just caught up on this. glad it's all sorted. The ban started here in N Ireland in April and I must admit it is great. Went to a table quiz in a rugby club and came home smelling the same as when i left. the pubs do stink a bit though. It causing them to refurbish a bit. Most food and drinl places now have an outdoor smoking area - at least if they can.

So glad though. Sitting all day in that would've been awful for you, Love Lesa xx
Keep smiling :happy:

Ethel

Star

Thursday, June 28th 2007, 9:37pm

Ahh your poor grandad Binky.

Glad its all sorted Chilli x

Friday, June 29th 2007, 8:14am

Binky - Technically smoking is banned in a bus stop if it has three sides and a roof! The one near my mums is like this but i wont be saying owt to anybody!

Roll on Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rivka

Friday, June 29th 2007, 12:21pm

Glad its sorted out for you Chilli.

I am and have always been a non-smoker (well apart from the obligatory cheeky teenagae toke) and I absolutely think the smoking ban is the right thing to do. But the one thing I would change is to allow special dedicated clubs to keep it up, basically like smoking clubs.

Yes you could say "but what about the staff who have to work there?" but you don't HAVE to work anywhere. For instance I wouldn't apply for a job at a pole dancing club as I'd expect a certain degree of nudity to be part and parcel of the job and I just couldn't inflict that on people ( :D ).

I htink the ban is right and proper but I also think that people have the right to choose what filth they pump into their bodies and places should be provided for them, the rest of us don't have to go there do we! Its banning t-bone steak all over again. People know the risks and are fully entitled to make their own decisions - I just am so glad that I will never have to breath in someone elses smoke again.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rivka" (Jun 29th 2007, 12:22pm)

Friday, June 29th 2007, 12:37pm

T-Bone steak is banned?

Rivka

Friday, June 29th 2007, 12:42pm

Not now but it was for a time around the "Mad Cow" thing. because the meat was attached to bone they said there was a chacne of the disease being communicated via t-bone steak, oxtail and the like.

So instead of warning people of the risks and letting people make up their own decisions they issued a blanket ban and as a consequence tonnes and tonnes of meat went to waste.

Chilli

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 11:26am

OH dear....... I have come in today and there are ashtrays everywhere again :rolleyes: the man I work with grabbed the one on my desk and hid it as if I couldn't see the bloody thing over flowing, and the smell when I walked in.

So I am sat here, really quite enjoying the work earning some money ect and I get this nose full of smoke, so I looked outside my office only to find they are ALL upstairs smoking 4 of them, it stinks and is travelling down to my office obviously.

I have a responsiblity to my unborn child so i think i am going to have to leave, I just can't sit here like this, I can smell it in my hair. I am really annoyed X(

lulu27

• "lulu27" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 11th 2006

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 11:31am

Surely you can report them it's illegal to smoke in the work place!!! Cant you not ring environmental health or someone???

Chilli

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 12:16pm

Once I leave then I will let the agency know they can deal with it.

cookie

Superstar

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 12:27pm

chilli hun, there was an article on the front of our evening paper last night about solisitors being issued fines for smoking in the foyer in our crown court....they think they are above it.

hope it gets sorted soon, it is HORRIBLE and you shouldnt have to put up with it...by law my dh (not that he does smoke) cant even smoke in his van now because it is a work place, it is a shame there is no way of shopping them without them knowing it is you.

cant you just walk out and say that it is because you are pg and they are smoking???.....you know im not sure i could have stuck it as long as you have. :(

it makes me angry that they are making life so hard for you.

k xxx

Reg: Apr 7th 2006

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 1:28pm

Good luck Chilli!
Me 35 DH 43

Missy

Superstar

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 1:59pm

OMG... Do you know (and this is coming from a smoker :whoops: ) that if it were me I would be on the phone to Environmental Health as soon as I stepped through the front door. Why should you have to leave your job? It is your basic HUMAN RIGHT to work in an environment that is clean and safe for both you and your unborn child.

Ring the EH and also your agency, tell them they have 2 weeks to get it sorted or you are going to citizens advice to get legal advice. They cannot sack you over this, and if they even try, or make your working life difficult sue their asses for discrimination... I mean it, do something!!

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Missy

Superstar

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 2:00pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Chilli
Once I leave then I will let the agency know they can deal with it.

but they won't deal with it, they haven't so far which means they have no intention of doing so unless someone puts up a fight

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 2:48pm

If you know that ultimately you're prepared to leave because of it, then I really would contact the authorities now. If you tell them after you've gone, it may make them stop, but not to your benefit. If you tell them now, you may still have a job. Then, if the people concerned start being horrible to you for snitching on them, then go anyway because you were always prepared to go in the first place.

Sorry, not a nice place to be for you. :(
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

Chilli

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 7:39pm

The agency haven't dealt with it yet because I told them they had stopped and that I didn't want them to think i was making an issue out of it especially as they had stopped, the man I deal with was extremely upset that they were smoking even before the ban and offered to do anything he could, so i know they will once I go.

i spoke to the man I work with today and said I was leaving due to it being smokey and I have to think of my child first and fore most and he promise me faithfully they would stop, I know they are really struggling to get this work completed by a certain deadline if I go they are buggered so that's what I threatened.

I can only go back next week and see if they have stopped, if not I will walk straight out again. So upset this is happening I like being there, I like earning decent money again - why are they so shelfish!? makes me sooo angry X( I used to smoke so I can understand but I would always smoke outside without even thinking about it!

cookie

Superstar

Friday, August 10th 2007, 9:27am

thats exactly what they are being chilli....selfish, very very selfish!

i cant believe they have the nerve to carry on knowing it is illegal now and you are pregnant....infact they are beyond selfish if you ask me... X(

:hugs:

k xxx

Rivka

Friday, August 10th 2007, 11:43am

Sorry to hear this Chilli particularly as you're enjoying your work. It really is very selfish of them and you would be totally within your rights to take it further. Disgraceful behaviour.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE