You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Sunshine" started this thread

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Tuesday, July 3rd 2007, 3:37am

breastfeeding premmies

ok, there's a chance that DS#2 might well be born prematurely.

I really want to breastfeed him, but was warned that he might need to spend up to a week in N-ICU in an incubator.

Has anyone had any experience with this, or can give me some tips/tricks in case it happens?

I just want to be prepared because I want to give him the best start possible despite the circumstances.

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Tuesday, July 3rd 2007, 7:57am

Hi sunshine

livvie was extremely prem 25 weeks gestation

i expressed milk and she was tube fed to begin with, but finally breast fed

so all hope is not lost

hang onto that little one hun

take care
love zoexx
me 31 dh 30
me severe pcos
iui dd born 25weeks gestation
6 failed stimmed iui cycles since may 2007

Tuesday, July 3rd 2007, 8:20am

thanks zoe - at how many weeks did she latch onto booby after birth?
did you do normal delivery or c-section?

any tips/tricks for the expressing? - like how much to expect to get out at the beginning? how to make the transition from aritificial to booby feeding?

Tuesday, July 3rd 2007, 10:22am

hi sunshine

Livvie latched on at about 5 weeks after birth so you maybe lucky and bf straight away

it all depends on baby

i had a natural delivery

I struggled to express initially only got drops but kept persevering and eventual my milk finally started to come in .

The neonatal nurses used to get me to dip the tip of a cotton bud in my milk for her to suck on whilst she was tube fed. I put her to the breast every day from about day 3 so she could have a little taste and she soon got the idea lol. When she was about 1 week old having kangaroo care and was trying to latch on to daddy, so she soon got the idea lol

im sure you will be fine sunshine

good luck

any questions just ask

take care
love zoexxx
me 31 dh 30
me severe pcos
iui dd born 25weeks gestation
6 failed stimmed iui cycles since may 2007

ellied

Tuesday, July 3rd 2007, 10:24am

Hope it all goes ok and that you don't have to have the NICU/SCBU experience. However, if you do I'm sure the docs, nurses and midwifes will have an established procedure that fits in with the kind of feeding you want to do.

T was 1.58 kilos/3lbs 7oz and born at 33 weeks. He was in NICU for 10 days and SCBU for 15 days. At our hospital they fed him through a nasagastric tube which is not as techy or scary as it might sound.

I had preeclampsia so I expressed as soon as I was allowed to - Tues following a Sat eve birth. They asked if - ultimately - I wanted to breastfeed. I got a Medela mini electric pump. I'd say don't get a manual pump if you have a c section. If baby says in for a bit and you go home invest in a cool bag and storage combo. I got a Medela one and it was expensive but the chiller block and cool bags are still in use. Before your expressing starts they may feed baby with donated breast milk or a mixture of this and formula. At first you might not express enough to keep up. Alternatively you might do loads and have to freeze it. All mums are different and some who found expressing difficult breast fed v easily.

When T was 4 days old he started showing signs of wanting the breast. It's tiring for wee babies, so not a lot happens at first and they kept the tube in until he left SCBU. Some parents go home with the tube in. When he was heavy enough to leave hospital, I went in for 5 days on the ward to see if feeding him myself worked. It did, but it doesn't for everyone. Don't let that get you down if it doesn't for you.

Regarding emergency c sections. I suspect you will feel you have missed the 'birth experience' if you have one. But baby will need you and seeing him/her will help. :baby:

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Tuesday, July 3rd 2007, 1:30pm

HI Sun- hopefully it won't come to this, but better to be prepared i guess.
T was bon at 30 weeks weighing 1.54kg, and spent 5 weeeks in the NNU. The first week he was in the incubator, on CPAP Ventilation, which meant that i couldn't really take him out for long so all i could do for him was express. The hospital lent me an electric pump to take home- the important thing is to start expressing ASAP to encourage production. the first few tries you'll get very little- maybe a couple of drops/mls of colostrum but this is precious as every drop can be used. DS startde off having 0.2mls of ebm down his tube- so every drop really does count.

express regularly- ideally 3 hourly, and just don't give up.
Put baby to breat as soon as he/she is well enough, and encourage kangaroo care(where you sit with bubs down your top. The warmth will support him and encourage supply.)
it took a long while for t to start being interested on the breast (about 4 weeks i think) i managed to express until he was about 10 weeks (approx his due date) and then he fed from me for a further couple of weeks but then we stopped as due to a number of reasons my supply diminshed.
Also- it helps to have bubs near you(or a photo) when you do express as this helps the let down reflex.

I hope you don’t need this advice, but if you do- I hope it helps

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Rose" (Jul 3rd 2007, 2:02pm)

Wednesday, July 4th 2007, 3:53am

Hi - thanks ladies.

Certainly seems like expressing is the way to go. I've already got an electric double pump (Avent) from before, so I guess I should get that ready & sterilised.

As for em c-section, well I had one before, which I didnt particularly want or enjoy but had no choice. Similarly they are going to try for normal delivery this time around as well, but there are no guarantees. If the placenta separates or ruptures again then I will have to :(

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Wednesday, July 4th 2007, 7:00am

What ever happens will happen! You are doing everything you can and you are doing it great!
I think it is time just to go with the flow, put your feet up and not to worry about expressing!
You have done it before so you got an advantage there!!

Lots of love
xxx
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE