You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "LadyLuck" started this thread

Sunday, July 8th 2007, 8:38pm

At 1yr, what should LO be doing?

Such as, should she be using or attempting to use a cup/beaker?
should she have a plate, bowl and knife spoon and fork?
Should she have tap water?

That sort of thing.......

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Max born March 07 - thanks to frozen embryo transfer, our little miracle

Sunday, July 8th 2007, 8:46pm

Thought this might be of interest

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/stages/2200/

5 x ICSI b.f.n
1 x FET resulting in my gorgeous son born 2007

Sunday, July 8th 2007, 8:58pm

Thanks hun, I already checked that out, I get emails from them each month. Thank you though. I guess i am being nosey about what others do with theirs at 1 yr!!! :O

Reg: Feb 11th 2007

Children: My children are wonderful!

Sunday, July 8th 2007, 10:31pm

Don't get into all that '** was tying her shoelaces and completing long division by her first birthday' cr*p! Mine were wonderful, one was snotty, one dribbly; one walked, one rolled; etc.

Me 39, DH 40 Children, Lucy and DS (7)
Lucy lost in car accident 8th April 2002
TTC 6 years - ICSI x 4 - :BFN: x 4

Spider's Diary

Binky

Star

Reg: Aug 27th 2006

Children: 1 beautiful Little Girl with help from clomid.

Sunday, July 8th 2007, 10:52pm

I agree, C is doing exactly what she should be doing as she is C. Every 1yr old is different and hits 'milestones' at different times.

I'm sure she will do things in her own time/has done things in her own time.

I really don't think any child should be compared to another, not even siblings.

xx

Monday, July 9th 2007, 9:49pm

I was just wondering really, I know I could never push Chloe to do something she is not ready to do, I wouldnt even try actually, she is very strong willed and independant so she more or less wont do what I want her to do anyway :D

I was just wondering what I should maybe trying to introduce and encourage, like cups/beakers, proper baby/toddler plate and bowl that sort of thing.

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Monday, July 9th 2007, 10:01pm

I have started to introduce a cup for M's milk rather than her bottle, she needed new ones so I decided to try now rather than buy new bottles, I am not really bothered but I would rather she wasn't having a bottle anymore.

M also has a plate and bowl as she refuses food from a spoon so she eats things she can pick up herself, most of the time though they get tipped over :rolleyes: not sure why I bother may aswell serve her food up on the floor!

Binky

Star

Monday, July 9th 2007, 10:05pm

I think the best thing is to follow your gut instincts, and if they are telling your to give the toddler plate and beaker ago then you should, BUt I would say o only change one thing at a time as it can be stress full for them.

Ie only start with giving water/juice in a beaker not her milk, and then gradually make the change for the milk.

Start offering finger foods as snacks on a plate but still feed C her normal meals the way you normally do until you can see how she will cope. But leave a few days in between the small changes for her to get used to one thing first.

I am sure she will suprise you when you try, good luck hun! xx

Binky

Star

Monday, July 9th 2007, 10:08pm

I hate seeing older toddlers with bottles, L has a Avent magic beaker for her water and a tommee tippee nuby cup with a spout for her milk, she hated swapping from bottle to cup for her milk. But she got there in the end.

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, July 9th 2007, 10:17pm

Me to Binky, she only has milk at home and i really am not precious about it but I think it's time.

She also has a dummy which was becoming a pain - she wanted it all the time, so I have started leaving it in her cot for bed times only (I don't want a dummy debate so please lets not start one!) and she is great now infact she didn't have it at all today :)) rather do that now than later!

Binky

Star

Monday, July 9th 2007, 10:37pm

Thats good chilli, I wish I could be that disiplined, L loves her dummy and she also has it 4 naps. L wants it all the time (not that she gets it mind) I must start leaving it at home. x

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Monday, July 9th 2007, 10:43pm

As the others say, they're all individual. However, in response to some of your questions, I'd say definitely yes to tap water. DS2 has had water from the tap for months now, and it's absolutely fine at this age. I'd probably also say definitely no to a knife, but you could try seeing if she'll take the spoon herself. That sometimes encourages those who have given up on spoon food to start having it again as it gives them their independence. My DS2 will pick up a spoon that I've loaded up and gets it to his mouth, but can't/won't fill it himself - I think it's a bit early for that unless your child is very keen on the idea.

Bottles are a very personal thing as to how long you give those; we don't have a choice because DS2 refused a bottle throughout so he's on open cups because that's the only way he's ever drunk (except bf). :rolleyes:
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, July 9th 2007, 10:48pm

I gave M tap water the other day because DH (yes his fault!) didn't get it ready the night before she was fine so I have just carried on with it no problems at all, much easier aswell!

Binky

Star

Monday, July 9th 2007, 11:46pm

Yes tap water I would say is fine, L has filtered but that is because I don't like tap water from here a bit hard. Luckily we have a fridge with the water and ice dispenser (american style) and I often fill her beaker with a bit of ice and then water to keep it cool when we are out and about.

I would try finger foods with a baby folk and spoon next to her and she if she uses them.

L loads her folk herself and then takes the food off with her hand and puts it in her mouth :rolleyes: mmmmmm

Children: Twin Girls

Tuesday, July 10th 2007, 11:44am

V,

M&D fed themselves yogurt at of the pot, ate from plates/bowls with spoons with help, tap water is fine,

Does she hold her beakers & milk bottle.

I just discovered at Tesco "Beakers with flip top & a rubber straw" M&D took to them so well, I started with a plastic straw in a open beaker & they got use to it, have you tried a straw V? does she had proper cuterly, babies ones?

M&D at 15 months now feed themselves without help & M is so independant!

xxx
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs
2nd IVF - Blastocyst Embies
unbelievable BFP & TWINS!!
Now have beautiful twin girls

My family is now finally complete.

Tuesday, July 10th 2007, 3:17pm

Thank you everyone.

Hi Lisa, long time no speak!!

Yes C holds her own beaker and bottle. I have tried C with a straw and she was great with it, knew what to do immediately which amazed me! Yeah she was good with a straw and yes I do use proper baby cutlery, usually spoon or fork. Fork seems to be better for her actually.

C can use a spoon and fork on her own but the food does not get scooped up and if it does, it doesn t stay there :D She also likes to eat her food with her fingers

I have been giving C tap water which has been filtered!

Reg: Feb 11th 2007

Children: My children are wonderful!

Tuesday, July 10th 2007, 9:36pm

Thinking back I used cups when I could for water but stayed with beaker thingys for milk for longer - have you tried getting the stink of milk out of carpet, mattress, etc?!!!!

Me 39, DH 40 Children, Lucy and DS (7)
Lucy lost in car accident 8th April 2002
TTC 6 years - ICSI x 4 - :BFN: x 4

Spider's Diary

Children: Twin Girls

Saturday, July 14th 2007, 9:38pm

sounds like she's doing very well, clever little lady!

x
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs
2nd IVF - Blastocyst Embies
unbelievable BFP & TWINS!!
Now have beautiful twin girls

My family is now finally complete.

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Sunday, July 15th 2007, 1:34pm

its hilarious isn't it when they first use a straw. We only tried Plum with one while away on holiday and she took to it straight away which really surprised me, she also thought she was pretty clever doing it.

Its difficult to avoid the temptation to compare what yours is doing with others isn't it. Not even in a competitive way but purely out of worry sometimes I think. I try my best not to do it.

Sunday, July 15th 2007, 8:23pm

I know, it is more just to know if you are doing anything wrong, or if you should be doing something that you are not. Especially first time mums x

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE