You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Glitzy" started this thread

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Max born March 07 - thanks to frozen embryo transfer, our little miracle

Tuesday, July 24th 2007, 9:43pm

When do you wean?

At what age did you first give you lo solids?

A total of 36 Votes have been submitted.

3%

before 3 months (1)

3%

3 months (1)

50%

4 months (18)

25%

5 months (9)

19%

6 months (7)

3%

7 months (1)

0%

later

Ok I know recommendations are 6mths but does anyone wean earlier these days? M is now 16lbs 9oz and is showing all the signs of needing a little more! That is despite me upping all his bottles to 8 oz this week (4 bottles per day), he is still not content after that. He is chewing his cheeks constantly and absolutely everything goes to his mouth - he stares at dh and I while we are eating and smacks his lips together. The HV took one look at him and joked he is ready for a fish supper! He is only 17 weeks on thursday - should i try some rice or persevere with more milk? Thanks.

Going to try and add a little poll - bear with me

5 x ICSI b.f.n
1 x FET resulting in my gorgeous son born 2007

Reg: Feb 13th 2006

Wednesday, July 25th 2007, 7:35am

Personally I wouldnt wean prior to 18 weeks and then only if strongly recommended by HV...I started weaning JJ at about 5.5 months...he was trying to grab my food and crying when I ate.........I delayed it as long as possible as I really didnt want to start before 6 months....

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: Twin Girls

Saturday, July 28th 2007, 9:24pm

RE: When do you wean?

I weaned my two at 18 weeks but only started with baby rice & then after about 2 weeks started solids. veg/fruit etc.
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs
2nd IVF - Blastocyst Embies
unbelievable BFP & TWINS!!
Now have beautiful twin girls

My family is now finally complete.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "lisaw2308" (Jul 28th 2007, 9:25pm)

Saz

Saturday, July 28th 2007, 9:29pm

I think it really does depend. We started R at 17 weeks, and tbh, she was almost straight onto veg etc. However, we had discussions with hv first and I strongly recommend you do the same.

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Saturday, July 28th 2007, 10:11pm

I started both of mine at 4.5 months. Glitzy, I did a poll probably about 6 months ago about when people weaned according to body weight. The official recommendation is 6 months, but the range of weights a baby can be at that age is huge, and I'd have thought that their size is going to be at least one of the indicators of when they need solid food.

M is certainly showing some of the signs. Up until only 4 years ago, the official recommendation was 4 months, and it jumped overnight to 6 months. There is no major scientific finding for the change, so if you start soon after 4, it is soooo unlikely to present any problems. If you don't already know about the reason for the change, I'll post about it (I feel quite strongly about the whole issue), but DH has just made me a cup of tea and I won't write it now 'cos I want my tea with him!
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Saturday, July 28th 2007, 10:41pm

Hi, I weaned E at 4 months, although she was only 2 corrected as 2 months premmie. This was on the advice of her paediatric gastro consultant. She hated baby rice so we went swiftly on to fruit/veg and she was fine.

Good luck!

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Sunday, July 29th 2007, 6:38pm

I started C on baby rice at about 20 weeks (he weighed over 20lb at the time) as he was trying to grab food out of my hands every time I ate. He started veg and fruit at 24 weeks and then a few weeks later stopped eating solids altogether (from a day or so before he went to hospital with bronchiolitis until the day his grommets were done a month later). Now, at 8 months, he eats EVERYTHING! Meat, fish, egg, chicken, fruit, veg, bread, rice, pasta - basically everything that I eat.

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rene" (Jul 29th 2007, 6:52pm)

Reg: Apr 18th 2006

Children: 5 year old daughter

Sunday, July 29th 2007, 7:57pm

I started about week 16 with baby rice, tried some banana the week after, then carrot, pea cauliflower, butternut squash and potatoe.

My paediatrician told me to start whenever I wanted, she weaned all of her children before 4 months. She told me that she just attended a study at Kings college where they were looking onto weaning in Israel, where they wean at 2 weeks, and they have hardly any instances in childhood disease/allergies such as asthma. She thinks the recommendations will change again after the study is complete.

Lily has taken to weaning very slowly but is definatley getting somewhere now. She prefers stuff mixed with baby rice, like a little veg puree or bannana, she has cereal for breakfast, rusks or porridge or bannana with baby rice, and a savory lunch. I am about to start her on 3 meals a day as she is eating more of her feeds now.

But at week 16, she knew what to do straight away and started to eat her rice really well.
Lisa

:xxx3:

me 39 dh 42
IVF 06
DD arrived Feb 2007 at 37 weeks and 6 days
FET 1 - Nov 12 BFN ;(

Reg: Oct 6th 2005

Sunday, July 29th 2007, 8:08pm

I started Isla at 15 weeks - she didnt take to baby rice at all and still wont have it now but has ate everything else offered to her since. She's not been fussy at all. she now has three meals a day consisting of main course and desert and loves it all. She's going to be a wee fatty!

Michelle x
Me 33, DP 32
TTC for 3 years.
HSG showed 2 blocked tubes.
Lap and dye August 05 unblocked both tubes. :D Hurrah!!!! :D
Natural BFP 05/06/06

My beautiful baby girl was born 2 weeks early on 3rd February 2007

After many up's and down's we're back and ttc naturally in 2013!

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Sunday, July 29th 2007, 8:48pm

It's all so confusing as at the mo they say 6 months to avoid any allergies, my HV was really quite adamant that I waited till 6 months with M.

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Sunday, July 29th 2007, 9:45pm

I weaned at 15 and 16 weeks, My HV was in agreeance, i followed the gina ford weaning guide. xx
Mum of 3 year old twins.
Had ICSI worked first time

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

ZIG

Ace

Children: Isabella Mae (ICSI No.3) and Ruby Olivia (natural)

Sunday, July 29th 2007, 10:26pm

Bella was just 5 months when I started and she was fine. She didn't like plain baby rice so we mixed it with allsorts - banana was a fave, as was carrot. I avoided rusks etc as they are a bit sugary, but everyone does it differently. Go with what your instinct tells you.

Zig x
Me 38, DH 44. 2002-2004 2x ICSI's, 1x egg donation. Changed clinics for own eggs ICSI/tx no.4 - BFP 27/4/05! Mummy to Isabella after early c-section 15/12/05, due to LLP. Baby No.2 (huge 'natural' surprise!) Ruby Olivia arrived 29/09/07 via emergency c-section.

Sunday, July 29th 2007, 10:53pm

The longer you leave introducing solid foods, technically the less chance of developing allergies. Even at six months, you shouldn't introduce some of the more allergy-prone foods like eggs, esp egg white, no honey, no nuts etc. However, I don't know of anybody who is allergic to pear or apple, or any fruit or root veg really, so I can't see why starting those solids earlier has any impact on allergies.

The main reason for the official advice now being 6 months is because the World Health Organisation came up with that recommendation... for the whole world. This obviously includes third world countries where nutrition and hygiene is often very lacking. In those places, it has to be better to stick with breastmilk for as long as possible as the possibility of malnutrition and disease goes up significantly if a baby progresses to solid food. The problem is, governments in developed countries can't be seen to be going against WHO guidelines even though it doesn't have the same relevance here.

Any time after 4 months would therefore seem appropriate (the previous recommendation said 4 months, and I think that was on the basis of some scientific evidence) so, as Zig says, go on your instinct and go for it if you can see some of the classic signs of weaning in your baby.
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)

Sunday, July 29th 2007, 10:56pm

Just a thought about saying everything is fine when we introduced solids to our LO's. My mother gave me solids, including liquidised meat when I was 2 months old. She argues over what I did with my two (not starting meat till after 6 months), and she says "well, look, you turned out fine". It's easy to say that, but I don't have the most normal digestive system in the world, and who knows if it's due to too much strain on the system when I was so tiny?

Missy

Superstar

Monday, July 30th 2007, 10:26am

Current guidelines say that a baby should be 17 weeks old before you start weaning. This is because the lining of the gut has to be ready before you introduce solids. Introducing food too early can damage this lining leading to food intolerances or allergies.

Weaning too early - BBC report

This is one of my bugbears. Lolly was showing signs of being 'ready' at around 3 months, according to the HV, Dp's mum, my mum but we held back until 19 weeks. She was 2 weeks early so I wanted to hold off as long as I could. I also followed Gina Fords weaning guide, it was really easy.

Glitzy, M is very nearly 17 weeks now anyway so waiting a few days won't make a difference :))

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

ellied

Monday, July 30th 2007, 11:43am

I weaned T at 6 months. He was breast feeding very frequently but not showing any other signs of needing food. One HV said to wait until 6 months adjusted age and the other said he needed food.

We never looked back. He wasn't keen on baby rice but loved apple puree right from the start. He still likes it now he's spoon feeding. I don't bother making my own puree now though. I usually have some Hipp Stage 1 Apple and Pear Pudding in, it's a brilliant way to get him to have some Calpol if he's got a temp.

T was 17 and a half lbs at 11 months so a different ballgame on the weight front.

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Monday, July 30th 2007, 12:41pm

spud was 4 months old....he needed it tbh....i couldnt have imagined going another 2 months with out weaning...

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Children: DS#1 (clomid) 1999 -vb - DS#2 (natural BFP) c-sec

Monday, July 30th 2007, 3:26pm

With Callum I think he was about 15 weeks - back then it was recommended to start weaning from 4 months so wasn't that far off -- with Gregor I think I start at about 16/17 weeks although the recommendation is 6 months - Gregor was very much like Max and what used to satisfy him didn't any more - he took to solids fantastically and has had no problems whatsoever.
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)
DS#2 MAY 2006 - MIRACLE !!

Children: Max born March 07 - thanks to frozen embryo transfer, our little miracle

Thursday, August 2nd 2007, 9:27pm

Thanks for the advice everyone!!! The HV came round and gave me a chat on weaning and was adamant I should increase his milk intake before even thinking about solids. He gets 32oz per day at the moment so for now he is still sleeping 12hrs etc so I will hang off and think about it again when that changes. I think I will introduce a 5th milk feed before the rice. Thanks again. I have started making some lovely purees for the freezer though!!!

5 x ICSI b.f.n

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Friday, August 3rd 2007, 7:55am

I was weaned early and I got food intolerances (the only one having them in my family).

I waited til around 7 months with Z and he was happy with the wait.

I think there has been so many articles about concerns about early weaning so I was happy to wait the extra time.
It is fun to wean but it is just as fun at a later date!

XX
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Friday, August 3rd 2007, 8:38am

Is Z a big baby? I have ready so much that when they hit a certain weight you should be thinking of starting them earlier than 6mth. I am just going with my instincts and for now I think he is more than happy. I dont want to start a day earlier than I have to tbh. Its interesting to see what everyone else does. Thats him 18 weeks now (weighed 16lbs 9oz last week) and the next step will be to introduce a 5th bottle and then we will take it from there. For now I am having fun making him lots of delicious things for the freezer!! I cant believe he will be munching them soon. He will be eating solids for the rest of his life so for now I will enjoy not having to worry about proper food lol!!

5 x ICSI b.f.n

Reg: Oct 6th 2005

Friday, August 3rd 2007, 8:56am

Isla got weighed on Tuesday and she weighs 16lb 3oz now at 6 months!!
Me 33, DP 32
TTC for 3 years.
HSG showed 2 blocked tubes.
Lap and dye August 05 unblocked both tubes. :D Hurrah!!!! :D
Natural BFP 05/06/06

My beautiful baby girl was born 2 weeks early on 3rd February 2007

After many up's and down's we're back and ttc naturally in 2013!

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Friday, August 3rd 2007, 11:26am

We introduced solids at 2 weeks before 6 months.

Baby rice was & is a complete "yuk" but pear & banana was baby heroin :D :D

We introduced pureed veggies around 6 months (laced with baby heroin I mean pear & banana)

Then we just slowly upped the solids intake to meet his appetite, whilst sticking to the same number of milk feeds per day.

It was also around this time that I dropped the breast feeding and went onto formula feeds.

Torisen

Friday, August 3rd 2007, 8:33pm

Z is 70 cm now (not sure about his weight, only checked weight 6-7 times in total) but he is happy and looks great :) Walking with his trolly now but tends to do it too quickly and crashes into the walls or furniture.

I am swearing by baby lead weaning. Z ate freshly picked mushrooms (cooked), cauliflower, sticky rice, potato omelette and yoghurt for dinner tonight (only yoghurt by spoon) and it is great when he can make up his own mind.

I picked some wild strawberries and raspberries for lunch too.

Look it up. If you do it this way than the baby will make up it's own mind if he or she is ready or not :)
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Saturday, August 4th 2007, 6:40am

Tori - I think baby led weaning is great IF your child is interested in food.

From about day 0, PP was soooo not interested in food and still isnt. If we let him he would try and survive on bottles of milk alone, even now.

Tuesday, September 4th 2007, 3:54pm

Well.. we started this week with a little baby rice. He is loving it and wolfs it down. Even managed to get the spoon in his mouth himself (took a major strop when i took the spoon off him though). Going to stick with rice until her is 6mth although i have a lovely supply of yummy homemade carrot puree and pear puree. All going well so far - oh quick question - should he be having a drink with the solids? Try with water every day but he is not too fussed.

5 x ICSI b.f.n

Torisen

Tuesday, September 4th 2007, 4:17pm

Glitzy, the solids is more a play than actual food at this stage. When he starts eating larger amounts then I would offer him some water.
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Tuesday, September 4th 2007, 4:24pm

Thanks Torisen - I give him the beaker to hold and to get him used to it during solids time. He knows what to do with it but it takes such a strong suck to get ther water out Im not too sure he has figured it out so he just gets fed up with it. xx

5 x ICSI b.f.n

lulu27

• "lulu27" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 11th 2006

Tuesday, September 4th 2007, 5:00pm

Sebastian still wont drink water he'll take a tiny sip but thats about it he thinks its mch more fun to bang the cup on his table so water fly's everywhere!!! People keep telling me to give him juice but i'm not going too am I being to harsh??? Glitzy well done on making some purees he'll enjoy those xx

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, September 4th 2007, 5:06pm

No Lulu, I don't think its harsh. Juice is bad for their teeth and, if they shake their cup everywhere its bad for your furniture. I'm not giving DD juice until she can drink it from a cup. Tell people to mind their own business!

lulu27

• "lulu27" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 11th 2006

Tuesday, September 4th 2007, 5:10pm

I will indeed!!! the way I see it is that he doesn't know that there is anything else available and one day when he is thirsty he'll take it!!!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, September 4th 2007, 5:25pm

Exactly!

Torisen

Tuesday, September 4th 2007, 6:29pm

Lulu, persevere! If they are thirsty they will take it! :)
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Reg: Jul 21st 2006

Tuesday, September 4th 2007, 7:18pm

Hi Glitzy

so glad M likes his food, I think this was the right time for him to start on solids,

I have read that you still make up the normal amount of formula, ie 8oz, use some of the formula, ie 2oz to mix with the baby rice, and whatever is left give to your baby, after he has had the baby rice
I think you can offer juices in between feeds

well done both of you, did he have the rice all over his face,lol
ME 32, pcos, DH 47,
DH had Tese tx Jan 06
IVF/ ICSI July 06 ,
30 eggs collected, 2 transfered,
Had OHSS and OMG, :BFP:

Wednesday, September 5th 2007, 8:42pm

Thanks Sharon - I agree this is the right time for Max. His corrected age is 25weeks tomorrow and he is a large boy so I feel starting earlier was the right choice for us. He adores the baby rice although it makes mum want to gag!! He has taken to swallowing with no problems but we are just going to take it slow for now and stick with the baby rice/milk. xxx

5 x ICSI b.f.n

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE