You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

chalmers206

Superstar

• "chalmers206" started this thread

Reg: Feb 5th 2007

Children: my beatufil boy born on 22/4/10

Sunday, October 14th 2007, 9:40pm

Becoming a Childminder?

HI ALL,

Is any of you ladies a registered child minder?, or do you know of anyone that is?.

I am thinking of becoming one, i have been on to the care commission ( i know you have to register with them) and also the Scottish Childminding Society ( they give you advice about start up costs and training advice).

But i just wondered what do the care commission check when they come to your house?.
Is it hard to become registered?
Is there anything i should do to my house before they come?.

Any advice would be great.

thanks.

kat
2ND ES/ICSI AUG 09 = :BFP
THOMAS JOHN (TJ) BORN 22/4/10
DEC 2012 :BFP:
ONE BEAUTIFUL [zx076] SEEN 9/1/13

Ethel

Star

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Sunday, October 14th 2007, 9:48pm

My friend looked in to this at one point but then decided not to do it as she was offered a job elsewhere.

Think your house has to be child friendly ie no hight steps in garden so they will fall, basically no wirese hanging out etc if you know what I mean. Think depending on what age children you look after depends on what you need.

They do a CRB check on you and everyone in your family who lives there but i dont think it is that hard to do. She contacted her local council

Good luck with it.

You can make some good money out of it - i been looking around at them at the mo

chalmers206

Superstar

Sunday, October 14th 2007, 11:32pm

hi Ethel,

thanks for the reply.

I have sent away for all the information so i will let you know how i get on.

kat

JoJo

Ace

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Sunday, October 14th 2007, 11:36pm

I think they also look at what pets you have, that you have first aid certificate things like that.

Its by no means an easy option but very rewarding.

Jo

chalmers206

Superstar

Sunday, October 14th 2007, 11:46pm

hi Jo Jo,

I dont have any pets so ok there.

Not got first aid certificate.

Is it a really hard process to become registered?

kat

JoJo

Ace

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Monday, October 15th 2007, 12:05am

I dont know tbh. Lots of councils are promoting it atm. I dont think you need to have a certificate when you apply as long as you plan to have one when you are doing the job.

Do you have any sure start programmes running in your area?

As Ethel says, you will have to be CRB checked and also the people who live with you too.

have a look at this website. It does have quite alot of info on there.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Childcare/index.htm

I would imagine they would ask what services you would be planning on providing such as School drop off/ Pick up, provision for special dietry requirements.

to give yourself an idea. look at the site for childminders in your area and click on each one to see what they cater for.

• "spangle" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Nov 14th 2005

Monday, October 15th 2007, 8:17am

I think a major one they look for is child care expereince and qualifications, have you got an NVq 2 or 3 in childcare? If not i suggest you do. I personally wouldnt leave a child whith someone without qualifications (but saying that i had some staff who were unqualified but were better then the qualified staff!) but at least with the qualifications you know they would have learnt certain things and issues. In england childminders ar4e registered with Ofsted which is excellent as parents can read reports online about the setting just like they would for a nursery
10 IVF's 4 FET
4 PG all ended in m/c
Mummy to 5 angels

• "victoria82" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 5th 2005

Monday, October 15th 2007, 10:13am

i was thinking of becoming one too

i had to registered to the local authority and they then booked me in for a 2 days training course which will be in January next year due to space been full this year. they told me it will take them about 3 months from january for me to become a registered childminder

i am not sure if it something i want to do yet, it was 2 of my friend that suggested it to me as they are looking for a childminder for their children for when they goes back to work in January and they would prefer for me to look after their them. but i have to see as they want me to do a 8-6 shift mon to fri

i know as a childminder you can only have 3 children per an adult and that including your cild if you have one

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: DS Born 2002 / DD Born 2010

Tuesday, October 16th 2007, 1:04pm

A friend of mine has become a Childminder, so I do know bits from what she told me, but again that is Ofsted.

Something else to consider is that they will expect you to have allsorts of toys, aimed at the full age range of children you could take on and some of those should be educational. You also have to be able to offer the children information relating to all religions/ ethnicity and also disability - nothing too OTT, I think my friend has a full list of all Religious festivals on the walls, she also has both boy and girl dolls and some of those are different races. She has books that feature children or a child in a wheelchair.

I hope that helps.

Me - PCOS
DH - Poor Motility & Morphology........
ICSI 2001 - DS / 2009 - DD - Our family is now complete :) :)

chalmers206

Superstar

Thursday, October 25th 2007, 10:22pm

hi all,

thanks for the replies, i have been in contact with the care commission in scotland (you have to register with them first). They sent me all the information its pretty daunting. I also contacted the national childminding society, they help you with courses, funding etc.

I have decided to wait till next year before i procede with it as financially right now i cant afford it as i would have to buy all the toys and equipment.

I cant remember who asked but yes i do have child care qualifications i have a nc and Hnc in early education and child care. I also done an NQ in Classroom Assistants course.

But it says in the information packs you dont need any formal qualifications. But i have them anyway so not to worry.

Anyway thanks for all the advice.

kat

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE