You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Emilia44" started this thread

Reg: Sep 13th 2006

Children: One daughter

Saturday, October 20th 2007, 2:08pm

Blister on nipple?

Well since our hiccup with the occasional latching problem Raffi has been feedng like a dream. But last night I was very tired and during the night we did a bad latch on the left with a lying down feed and this morning my nipple is very sore even when not feeding and has a whiteish thing on the end which I'm guessing is a blister?

Firstly is this a blister?

Secondly, do I absolutely have to keep alternating the feeds or could I get away with doing say one in three on that side without giving myslelf other problems.

Will a nipple shield help?

How long do these take to heal and can I just keep feeding through it - pain aside!

Any other useful advice?
MC 1997, Ectopic 2006, Tubal infertility, 1st IVF :BFP: [zx098]

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, October 20th 2007, 2:24pm

I've been trying to find a conversation I had with Tinkerbell about this but I think it might've been via PM. Is it a blister? Soft skin, watery or is it a hard white lump?

If it's a blister then obviously the pain is not going to be conducive to succesful feeding so if that means skipping a couple of feeds from that side or suing a nipple shield (preferable to skipping) then that would be ok AS LONG as it's only a couple of feeds. We don't want your milk backing up and causing other problems....

If it's a hard white lump then you do need to continue feeding from that side as it could be a lump of hardened milk which needs to be literally sucked out.

The perils of incorrect positioning eh? It only takes one bad latch to cause pain....

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Saturday, October 20th 2007, 2:30pm

This one?

Oh Lordy not Again

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, October 20th 2007, 2:34pm

Haha.. ooooh a search button??? What does that do then??? lmao

We continued the conversation via PM as some of the treatments are a little unconventional ;)

Saturday, October 20th 2007, 2:42pm

Thanks Bells - i think its backed up milk as it i hard. can i use a nipple shield and still get rid of it?

Saturday, October 20th 2007, 2:47pm

ok - what do you think to a sterilised needle to get rid as you might a spot? then feed about ten mins later.

tit zit? lmao

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, October 20th 2007, 2:58pm

If that's what it is that I wouldn't use a nipple shield as Raffi needs to suck it out... which doesn't sound lovely but....

I don't really want to be giving advice to use a needle to self operate... I don't think that would be responsible as a site.... so I'll leave that to you to decide.

Personally, I would ..... but then I re-peirced my own belly button with a vegetable knife.... so please don't take that as advice for you to do the same....

Saturday, October 20th 2007, 3:28pm

bells you are hardcore!

i used a sterilized needle and the milk came out quite quickly. i fed - it was eye watering but there is now only a v small bit of the lump left so hopefully next feed will do it. it's the lying down nightime feeds that are messing with my poor left nipple! any tips on good positioning lying down?

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, October 20th 2007, 6:04pm

What are you doing differently when on your left side? Are you tipping yourself forward or back? Is Raffi having to strain to reach the nipple or is she positioning herself awkwardly, too far up or too far down?

I think you're going to have to wake yourself up a bit for the nightime left boob feeds and fiddle about with your positioning a bit..... try to keep your breasts uncovered as much as possible too, let some fresh air get to them to let your nipple heal.

Monday, October 22nd 2007, 10:41am

thanks bells - much better since the needle thing. v sore for a few hours afterwards but much better now! not sure what i was doing differently but sitting up for left feed now. all back on track.

blowkiss for the help hun.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, October 22nd 2007, 10:56am

Good to hear :)

The things we have to do eh? ;)

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Monday, October 22nd 2007, 11:45am

Yikes, just read this thread, eye watering. Glad you've got it sorted Em

Saturday, November 3rd 2007, 11:32am

RE: Blister on nipple? UPDATE - DUCTAL THRUSH

if anyone else gets a blocked milk duct and decides to lance it like i did make sure you swab it after feeds with apple cider vinegar diluted one tablespoon vinegar to one cup water and wash off before feeds. this stops thrush getting in...

i didn't know this and am pretty sure i have ductal thrush and Raffi has it in her mouth. i would never have guessed this myself but a good friend is a gp and she got it after lancing a duct and recognised the sympoms in raffi and myself.

my friend tried the prescribed creams and oral thrush treatment and 3 weeks on they both still had thrush so she used grape fruit sed etract in purifid water - swabbing baby's mouth before feeds and nipple after for 10 days and it went away in about 7 days. i'm taking acidophilus, cutting out allsugar and taking grapefruit seed extract capsules 3 times a day. i stated this last night and raffi is so much more settled than she was yestrday.

ductal thrush is v hard to diagnose because outward signs arn't alwy present for baby or mum. our symptoms which my friend picked up were...

Raffi - unsettled, more wind, fingers in mouth and crying, not latching properly on affected breast, latching and unlatching both sides and crying out inbetween.

Me - sore nipple, pain like toothache in breast that had blocked duct intensifying after feeds, had antibiotics after cearian which can make thrush more likely.

hope this helps anyone with this horrible condition - apparntly its v hard to shift ith conventional meds.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Emilia44" (Nov 3rd 2007, 11:33am)

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Saturday, November 3rd 2007, 12:04pm

Doesn't Sound very nice Emilia, hope you and little Raffi feel better soon.

xxxx

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Saturday, November 3rd 2007, 12:34pm

Yeah, hope you are both better soon Emilia :hugs:

just read this thread, and agree that night feeds and latching on correctly are a bit harder cos of tiredness!!!...it seems to take me longer to get the 'hang of it' at night!!!

thanks for the tip!

xxx

<

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, November 3rd 2007, 4:23pm

I had ductal thrush for months and months. The topical creams didn't touch it even combined with a candida diet and acidophilous but I spoke to a 'top top top' lactation consultant (a very well known lady and I had to pull some serious strings) who liased with my GP and I was prescribed a ten day course of systemic treatment that isn't licenced for use during breastfeeding. It's basically the Canestan one a day tablets that you buy when you have thrush but you need to take a full dose every day for ten days. The tablets are £10 each over the counter so you do need to get a prescription.

Monday, November 5th 2007, 1:54pm

hi Bells - my gp was loathe to even give me the one off treatment and suggested i continue the alternative route but finally she agreed. i wanted it as a back up really but reading you needed 10 doses i am slightly concerned 1 won't touch the sides. however she did very unhelpfully offer me antibiotics for the mastitus i also have now!!! that's going to help the thrush isn't it? i turned down the abs and am just feeding as much as poss on bad side, massaging and using cabbages!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, November 5th 2007, 4:27pm

Thing is, if it's deep inside the ducts then it needs proper systemic treatment. This is why it took me months to sort mine out, because nobody knows how to treat it properly. Do you have access to gentian violet? It's controversial so I'll let you Google it and decide for yourself if it's a path you'd like to take.

The 10 doses did clear mine up but it had been months getting so bad. If I was you I would take the one dose and see if it helps. The longer you leave it the harder it is to shift unfortunately.

Monday, November 12th 2007, 3:55pm

thanks bells - not convinced its going so may see gp again armed with the bfn literature and try for the course of diflucan.

Monday, November 26th 2007, 4:58pm

MY ONGOING SAGA!!!

OK girls - well after feeling better for a while I have severely blocked ducts again and feeding on the left is unbearable for me and Raffi gets very miffed about the slow flow. I've been expressing on the left for a few days - less painful - and giving R the milk in a bottle during her 6-8pm feeding frenzy - the time she gets most fed up with slow flow. When I express loads seems to come out but I'm still lumpy, in pain and she doesn't like that side.

I went to a lactation consultant and she said our latch isn't great. I'm trying to re-teach Raffi how to latch but taking her on and off has m,ade even my right nipple v sore! Can't believe how much trouble I'm having now with bfing - it seemed to be going so well.

I get 2 sorts of pain - sore nipple during feed - and aching breast after feed. But here's my questions:

1) I thought I was getting another milk blister as I have a white dot but this won't burst or budge no matter what. Not bulgy like the one before, more a flat white area. Is this the start of another milk blister?

2) After expressing the end of my nipple is pure white - is this normal?

3) have a couple of small spot like lumps on my aeriole - I know I spelt it wrong - how do you spell it?! they are always there - on my left, one of these has become very painful and when she feeds it is agony. What's this all about then?

PLease help before I go insane! I just can't give up no matter how bad it gets so please help me enjoy bfing! I feel a bit cheated right now.

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Monday, November 26th 2007, 5:11pm

I had similar problems around 6 weeks. I got a small super painful boil like thing on my areolae (or however you spell it) It was so sore but I washed it with cooled boiled water with a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in it.
In the end Z popped it (mmmmmmh) and life went happily on!

With some pumps I got white nipples but with my favourite Avent pump they went bluey/purple!

I hope it will all settle soon!!

XX
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, November 26th 2007, 5:18pm

The fact that your nipple stays blanched when Raffi comes off is a major indication of thrush, does it only do with when you've expressed or is it after a feed too? With your past history of thrushy symptoms I think it may be time for you to try and push for major systemic treatment along with oral treatment for Raffi. Once this is ruled out you'll be in a better position to look at any other problems.

The spots on your areola are possibly blocked montmery glands, I'd see your GP about them because while it's normal to see bumps on your nipple, they should not be painful.

I'm thinking... that we have a posiible combination of problems here and the treatments are conflicting. If you have blocked ducts/mastitis then feeding through is great but if there's chance that there could be a niggling infection then you're going to need some antibiotics. Course, if you're thrushy then this isn't going to help. Do you think that you have all/any of these conditions??

I think I'd be going to see the GP and getting some antibiotics, feed through as you are doing, take max acidophilous and then get cracking on a full systemic course of thrush medication for you and oral for Raffi.

Monday, November 26th 2007, 5:19pm

Thanks hun. I'll try the bicarb. I did try to pop it this morning in the shower but it wouldn't go!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE