You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

KIRSTY G

• "KIRSTY G" started this thread

Reg: Sep 27th 2006

Children: 7 year old little man, and B/G twins

Friday, November 2nd 2007, 1:16pm

Baby not interested in food / Changing formula

We've been having a bit of a 'mare with B recently as she just doesn't seem interested in milk at all ...

We've tried different bottles, and different teats thinking she was getting tired, or too windy, which was why she was having so little per feed (around 3 ounce). But, it made no difference ...

She's on Aptamil at the moment, but as an experiment we bought a Cow and Gate ready made carton ... which I gave her this morning, and she took 6 ounce (made all her usual signs of giving up at 3 ounce, but after a break started again)

What I want to know is, do different formla's taste different? Was this a fluke?

And, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get her to eat more?

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Friday, November 2nd 2007, 1:26pm

Straight answer?? Nope, no tips on getting her to take more at a feed! Getting L to have a whole bottle could take upto an hour, she would have a couple of oz in one whole frenzy of sucking, give herself wind, fall asleep have a nappy change then s-l-o-w-l-y take the rest of the milk provided it was warmed up and she was in the mood!

We had Lolly on cow and gate and never had any problems, it is also a quid or so cheaper than Aptimil so maybe give it a go? On the bottles front, we also spent a small fortune on teats bottles etc before reverting back to the avent bottles we had originally bought :rolleyes: It may just take a few decent feeds for B to get used to the teat after the nipple if you see what I mean?

Good luck! I'm sure she'll get there soon! :D

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

KIRSTY G

Friday, November 2nd 2007, 1:30pm

Cheers hun ...

Fortunately she doesn't mind which kind of teat she has, just as well really seeing as our cupboards are full of Tommee Tippee closer to nature, TT Nuby, Avent, Dr Browns, and Mam bottles and teats (first size and 2nd size)

Fussy little maddam

:rolleyes:

Missy

Superstar

Friday, November 2nd 2007, 1:37pm

She's a girl, female prerogative!! :D

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, November 2nd 2007, 4:10pm

RE: Baby not interested in food / Changing formula

Quoted

Originally posted by KIRSTY G

What I want to know is, do different formla's taste different? Was this a fluke?

Only one way to find out..... taste it! :D

Maybe the cow and gate tastes more pleasant..... report back when you've had some won't you? :D

Missy

Superstar

Friday, November 2nd 2007, 4:24pm

Pleasant is not a word I would personally use!! :D

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Reg: Jul 21st 2006

Thursday, November 8th 2007, 9:44pm

Cow & Gate tastes quite nice :thumbsup2:, , very sweet tasting, I had to try it,lol lmao
ME 32, pcos, DH 47,
DH had Tese tx Jan 06
IVF/ ICSI July 06 ,
30 eggs collected, 2 transfered,
Had OHSS and OMG, :BFP:

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Friday, November 9th 2007, 12:04pm

let us know kirsty, :D

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Reg: Oct 10th 2005

Friday, November 9th 2007, 12:11pm

Hi Kirsty
A is the same, he'd drink say 3oz to satisify himself then we'd wind him then he'd 'play' the rest of the time. Now we let him drink the 6oz uninterupted then wind him afterwards. He has one hug burp and is happy after his feed.

We also use Cow & Gate occasionally, we have a few of the cartons as they'd run out of Aptimal in Tesco, although we use the Aptimal formula that you make up.
It never really made any diff to A...but he's always been really laid back feeding

Caz x

Me 39, DH 39 ICSI Nov '06 BFP

FET Dec '10 - ET Dec 16th - Test Day 31/12/10

KIRSTY G

Friday, November 9th 2007, 1:30pm

She's been on C&G for about a week now, and it hasn't really made a difference I don't think (and it tastes gross!!!) ..... but, MY GOD .... her poo's are a really horrid dark green, and she bloody stinks (enough to make my eye's water puke)

Getting her wighed next week, so we'll see how she's doing

xxx

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Friday, November 9th 2007, 2:06pm

i rmember cow and gate being really smelly when making up spuds bottles lol! i dont think i could have tasted it :yumyum: :] is she still drinking more at a feed with c&g than she was with aptimil?

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

KIRSTY G

Friday, November 9th 2007, 2:49pm

I'm not sure really .... she is taking a little more, but still nowhere near what she should (according to the norm :rolleyes: )

Apparently it's supposed to be 2.5oz for every lb they weigh .... she was 11lb 2oz at her last weigh in (a week ago), so should really be having 27-28 ounces ... and she'll have, on a VERY good day, around 21oz

Missy

Superstar

Friday, November 9th 2007, 4:46pm

Kirsty,if at next weigh in B has put on weight then carry on as you are, if however she has lost and the poos haven't changed in colour I would give it one more weigh in before thinking of changing back to Aptimil. The reason being is that her system will have to get used to a different consistency of milk, its not just the brand that you change it is a whole different make up of ingredients/texture etc (this I'm sure you know already!)

Hope it improves soon hun, hang in there!! :hugs:

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

KIRSTY G

Friday, November 9th 2007, 4:50pm

Thanks hun ...
Was really unsure about changing the formula, cos I know babes tums don't take to it too well .... Like you say, if she's putting on weight etc then we'll leave her as she is ... shame really, her poo's smelt quite nice on Aptamil (in comparison, anyway)

Missy

Superstar

Friday, November 9th 2007, 4:55pm

They have still got time to improve yet, there may have been some waste there that the Aptimil hadn't shifted, so they may change again. I have to say with Lolly on C&G her poos were always quite yellow and seedy at first, like mustard! Only babys I know on SMA have had green hard stools!

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

KIRSTY G

Friday, December 7th 2007, 4:05pm

Honestly don't know what to do now ...

Had B weighed today, and in 3 weeks she has put on 6oz ... I have no idea what to try next. we're already feeding her every 4 hours (through the night as well, even though she doesn't want it) ... She's taking absolutely no more than 3 and a half ounce at every feed ... and even then, only just ...

2 ounce a week!!!

I can feel she's getting skinnier, and can feel her ribs ... It gets me really upset that she's so teeny.

I'm in such a dilema over what to do re: weaning her (not till 4 months though) ... I've read so many conflicting stories that babies sometimes put weight on when they start on solids, but others take less milk and so their weight gain slows .... I have no idea what to do for the best ...

It's not often I ask ... but I really need some help ;(

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Friday, December 7th 2007, 4:35pm

Does she act ok? Is she happy etc or crying all the time??
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

KIRSTY G

Friday, December 7th 2007, 7:19pm

She seems perfectly happy ... Would gladly go for 5-6 hours before crying for food.

The logical part of me knows that if she's happy then she's just got a small appetite ... and to accept that ... and i'm doing my best (it's my daily hourly mantra, I just wish there were some way to get her to take more.

My biggest fear is that it gets worse and worse ..

We keep a book of feed and nappy times (or the 'arse' and 'face' book as I call it :snigger: ), and looking back on it, her feed amount has gradually gotten less ... At around 8 weeks, she was taking 5-6 oz per feed, 5 times a day ... Just had a look at the book over the last month or so ... and it's gradually dropping, to today being 2's at every feed. I'm not the neurotic type, but i'm going crazy

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, December 7th 2007, 7:29pm

Well first off... I think you need some 'proper' reassurance that she's not 'ill'. It may seem excessive to see the GP about her weight but it's not like you have to go in there like a simpering idiot, rather you need to go and say "look mate, is there anything wrong with this here baby that would stop her from eating because I'd like to rule out actual medical stuff so that I can concentrate on feeding her and stop worrying in case something's wrong!"

Because babies don't starve themselves, hunger is uncomfortable for a reason and if she was hungry all the time I'm sure she'd let you know.... I've met her and she's certainly alert, happy, interested in her surroundings and yes, very dainty... in contrast to your mega son who is bigger than the average baby and who makes her look 'even smaller'.... not great when you're so hung up on her weight gain....

I know that FF babies should drink X amount X times a day but surely there must be room for appetite variables? Surely not 'every' single baby can polish off X amount of milk and be 'perfectly satisfied' every time???

Hmmmmm..... It must be very worrying, I can see that.... but I think you need to get your 'logical Kirsty' head on and chuck 'worried Mum' head out of the window. Make an appointment with the GP, discuss possible causes and possible solutions if she fails to gain weight because there's no way you should be at home worrying that your baby is going to starve herself to nothingness...

KIRSTY G

Friday, December 7th 2007, 7:46pm

Thanks mate ...

Logical Kirsty 'hat' on.

What do you reckon to actual food then? I know there's a risk there that she'll drink less if given rice (or something), but, I know she 'can' drink more, so has the room in her belly for the 2oz she takes and maybe some rice ... but, what if she goes longer between feeds? Or takes less milk?

Is it worth a shot? and if she starts drinking less then stopping the rice?

Torisen

Friday, December 7th 2007, 8:12pm

I wouldn't wean a baby before 6 months unless she really starts grabbing the food off your plate and shoves it in her mouth...

But, there are as many opinions as parents!

Do some research into food intolerances, allergies etc and look into the recent recomendations so that you can make an informed desiton!
(how on earth do you spell that? I am going mad!!!)

XX
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

KIRSTY G

Friday, December 7th 2007, 8:17pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Torisen
I wouldn't wean a baby before 6 months unless she really starts grabbing the food off your plate and shoves it in her mouth...

But, there are as many opinions as parents!

Do some research into food intolerances, allergies etc and look into the recent recomendations so that you can make an informed desiton!
(how on earth do you spell that? I am going mad!!!)

XX

Decision ...

I absolutely do not want to wean before 6 months (or untill she's ready), but can't think of any other way to get more food in her. Looking around and it seems milk has more calories than rice/other anyway ... But, maybe she's bored/not interested/doesn't like milk ... and would take food better.

:hairout:

I just don't know ...

Apparently, baby's are very unlikely to be intolerant to rice ... so I reckon i'll probably give her some baby rice when she gets to 4 months ... and if after a week she is drinking less, then stopping, and sticking to milk.
I'll get her weighed before we start, and if she's out on weight, and is doing better then leave her as she is ... If she's not gained, or lost then we're off to the docs too

There, decision made (unless, anyone has better idea's)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, December 7th 2007, 9:47pm

Just to confuse the issue. I wouldn't give her food yet either...... I know you're desperate to get 'something' into her but you know yourself that a two teaspoons of baby rice isn't going to make her put ounces and ounces on..... s'not gonna happen! You would have to be feeding her a LOT of baby rice to see a dramatic increas in her weight gain... how many calories are actually 'in' babyrice???? How good for them is that amount of babyrice? It seems like maybe it would be a placebo for you, to feel like you're doing something ... but the signs that a baby is ready for weaning are that they want 'more' food... not less....

Have you tried different milks, different temperatures and different bottles?

What centile is she on?

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Friday, December 7th 2007, 10:31pm

Before getting to Bells' last post, I was going to ask what centile she is on. And what centile did she start on?

I can't see there's a problem if she's happy and alert, has wet nappies, does poos, etc. Apart from giving up drinking after 2oz, are there any other signs during a feed, like pain/discomfort, or signs of abdomen discomfort at other times? Does she get distracted, or is she too young for that. Does something hurt in her mouth?

I agree not to try solids yet. The worst that happens is that you start solids in 2.5 months time when she's 6 months and she only gains 2-3oz a week in the meantime. It's not forever, and is so important for her gut maturity.
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

KIRSTY G

Saturday, December 8th 2007, 12:12pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Bells
It seems like maybe it would be a placebo for you, to feel like you're doing something ... but the signs that a baby is ready for weaning are that they want 'more' food... not less....

That's my problem, I don't think she's ready ... and I think we'll probably take 2 steps back and she'll start drinking less.

Quoted

Originally posted by Bells
Have you tried different milks, different temperatures and different bottles?

What centile is she on?

God, what haven't we tried :rolleyes: We have a cupboard FULL of different brands of bottles and teats, which we cycle through on a daily basis ... Just to see if there's a magic formula we haven't picked up on ... Dr Brown's on a Monday, Avent on a Tuesday etc :rolleyes:
She won't touch milk at all unless it's quite warm, and it needs to be re-heated half way through.

She did get a tooth through a week or so ago, it's one of the back ones (about 4 from the middle), which I thought was strange as those teeth don't usually appear untill 12-18 months ... So, can well undestand she might be teething, and/or the tooth hurting her. But, she doesn't seem to be in pain. She'll drink the 2oz like she's starving, then push the teat away. After a while of trying to get her to take it again, she'll start crying, but I think that's just her getting pee'd off with us for pushing a bottle on her when she doesn't want it.

She was born 6lb 7oz, between the 25th and 9th (It goes down from 50th to 25th, then 9th), so slightly under but still a great weight for a twin. By 5 weeks she was up to the 50th, and since then has gradually dropped to the 25th. But that's over an 11 week period, so not drastic ...

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "KIRSTY G" (Dec 8th 2007, 12:13pm)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, December 8th 2007, 1:09pm

So weight wise she's not very different from lots and lots of other babies really is she?

I know how worrying it must be to watch J guzzling his milk and getting lovely and chunky while B seems disinterested and her weight gain is low..... but comparisons aside, looking at a perfectly healthy baby who displays all the signs of being a happy and healthy baby, albeit one with a small appetite, have you really got grounds for concern about her health?

Will her gaining an extra 2 ounces a week make her more 'healthy'? Is she healthy now? What benefit would be gained from her weighing a little more?

If we can rule out medical problems that are physically stopping her from taking more milk and we're saying that she's not listless or 'failing to thrive' in any way other than the fact that she only wants to drink 2 oz of milk in one sitting... then is there 'really' anything to worry about?

Do you believe in your heart that she's starving herself and that it will lead to physical problems... or is it just that as a Mum it's easy to get hung up on volumes and quantities? If she was breastfed would you even know how much she was taking per day? Csam is having the same problem as you only she doesn't know how much her baby is getting ...which worries her... and you 'do' know.... which worries you....

KIRSTY G

Saturday, December 8th 2007, 2:11pm

Honestly? No, I don't think there is anything wrong with her at all. And, I don't think an extra 2oz a week will make any difference to her health at all ... she'll just be slightly bigger, and what difference does that make?!? None at all ...
Just have to get my head around her being her ... and not a clone of J (the tank)

Maybe some of these hang up's come from not being able to feed her myslef? mmmmmm never thought about it like that before ...

Torisen

Saturday, December 8th 2007, 2:40pm

:hugs:
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Saturday, December 8th 2007, 3:20pm

Quoted

Originally posted by KIRSTY G
She'll drink the 2oz like she's starving, then push the teat away.

This is the best thing I've heard! If she was really struggling, she wouldn't even drink contentedly at all. She basically is taking what she *needs* and then stopping. Many babies don't like more than they need, although some suckle/suck for pleasure. This could be a good eating habit for the rest of her life!!

If she's still on the 25th, I really would stop worrying. I had visions of her going from 50th to 2nd, but it isn't drastic, as you say.

I know it's easier said than done not to worry, but Bells has been so eloquent and full of suggestions and thoughts, as always. :D Hope she's been of help.
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, December 8th 2007, 3:34pm

Eloquent? Have you been on the Christmas sherry Limpet??? :D

Kirsty, feeding her yourself wouldn't make any difference to the baby you have now in front of you. She wouldn't change into being a baby who fed and fed and fed.... she wouldn't have turned into a great big bruiser of a baby or been any different at all. She's just a dinky dot, she'll probably grow up to be one of those sickening women sho says things like "Oh... I had a salad and an apple for lunch, I'm stuffed!" and then goes off to teach a ballet class in her lunch hour.... before having a strop that Principles petites only start at a size 4 ......

KIRSTY G

Sunday, December 9th 2007, 11:13am

Quoted

Originally posted by Limpet

I know it's easier said than done not to worry, but Bells has been so eloquent and full of suggestions and thoughts, as always. :D Hope she's been of help.

You've all been brilliant ... :smile:

(I feel like such a bloody wet lettuce :innocent: )

She really is doing well, and does eat, things could be much, much worse ...

Can just see her being one of those types, Bells ... cow bag :snigger:

Thanks peeps, I do feel better about things

:hugs: to the lot of ya

blowkiss

Sunday, December 9th 2007, 1:43pm

Glad you're feeling better about things hunni - she really is doing well and as was said...a dinky dot ( I love that phrase )

Caz xx

KIRSTY G

Saturday, January 12th 2008, 1:28pm

Update

All of a sudden, around a week ago, she started drinking most of her 5oz bottle clap ... and we're still going strong ... In fact, she had 6oz at 8:30 this morning, and another 6oz at 12pm :what: ... Honestly, can't begin to tell you how much better I feel about her feeds/weight ... :D She's having around 25oz a day now ... and one day last week had 28oz, which was more than J :8o:

Soooooo happy happydance

How clever is my little girl?? biggrin2

Missy

Superstar

Saturday, January 12th 2008, 1:38pm

Its a relief isn't it hun, when Lolly finally started drinking her milk I felt able to relax for the first time since she was born. Long may the milk drinking continue happydance

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

KIRSTY G

Saturday, January 12th 2008, 1:42pm

Such a relief ... Thought I had kind of gotten used to it, but only realising now how tense I was when it came to feeding time ... Can start thinking about dropping the dream feed permanently now. She doesn't need it to sleep through, just for keeping her intake up ... she didn't have it last night ... clap

Saturday, January 12th 2008, 5:43pm

Wow - fantastic news hunni. It prob clicked with her and now there'll be no stopping her !!

Great news to hear

Caz x

KIRSTY G

Thursday, January 17th 2008, 8:16pm

7 oz at evey feed today and yesterday biggrin2

Thursday, January 17th 2008, 9:59pm

Woohoo !!! GO B !!!!!

Thinking of dropping A's dreamfeed....but he's not up to 7oz yet... :innocent:

Caz xxx

KIRSTY G

Friday, January 18th 2008, 9:01am

Maybe he would take more during the day if he didn't have that last feed? I would give it a go this weekend. Don't do the dreamfeed, and if he wakes during the night/ear;y morning for food, then he's not ready ... If he doesn't, it means he doesn't need it and will probably start drinking more during the day ...

Couldn't hurt?

Torisen

Friday, January 18th 2008, 9:07am

Z hasn't been eating much during the last week. Really, not eating much at all... Then yesterday he had all his meals + 2 extra snacks and 2 bananas after his dinner!??
He lost his appetite and found a horses one!

I think this just shows that it will come and go and we should just relax and sit it out (unless something is seriously wrong of course!) XX
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Friday, January 18th 2008, 10:50am

You're right ( as always :happy: )I'll try that hun. I always think he should have x amount and always had a good dream feed which takes him up to 28-30oz

KIRSTY G

Friday, January 18th 2008, 12:07pm

28-30 is great on top of 2 meals a day, but not necessary ... He could quite easily lose the 7oz he has for bed, and I would put money on him upping his day milk ... In my opinion, 5 months is a little old for dreamfeeds :innocent:

kski

Ace

Reg: Mar 26th 2006

Friday, January 18th 2008, 12:16pm

We have been persisting with the dream Feeds - even though they are on 3 meals a day -

Mainly because it knock them out till about 8.30 in the morning-

Just wondered how long the night feed generally runs for and what age so people commonly phase it out !
DAD to twins

KIRSTY G

Friday, January 18th 2008, 12:38pm

My 2 haven't needed a dreamfeed since they were around 3 months ... We were still giving B a feed to keep her feeds up as she wasn't drinking enough. But, now she is we've stoppepd it. She has 4 bottles a day, and no food yet. J has 4 bottles and rice/potato/carrot twice a day.

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Sunday, January 20th 2008, 8:13pm

I'm really pleased that B is doing well. It is encouraging to hear and gives me hope that my little pickle will find her appetite !!

well done !

xxxx

Monday, January 21st 2008, 7:41am

Hmm....we did drop it once...he didn't drink more that day though ( we like to be awkward )
He only took 4oz last night with his dreamfeed so we'll see what happens today.
Wish he'd do 7 per bottle. First mornign one is more like 3....but then I can't face food first thing either. :8o:

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE