You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

csam

Star

• "csam" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Sunday, November 11th 2007, 6:25pm

A quick question about latching !!!

Hi

The last few days M seems to be latching on ok, but then shortly into the feed slips down the nipple ! if I leave her on then my nipple is then sore afterwards and if I re-latch her she does the same thing :sadface:

or, at night esp, I'll take her off and then she won't go back on which means she then wakes up very often to feed, which is even more tiring than usual !

I don't know how to break this 'habit'

Any ideas ?

xxxx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Sunday, November 11th 2007, 8:02pm

As soon as she slips down use your little finger in the corner of her mouth to take her off and then re-latch her. Don't let her keep feeding or you'll end up very sore indeed. It could be that there isn't enough breast in her mouth for her to get a really good suction going and so it slides out gradually. We're aiming for her gums/lips to be around your breast and the tip of your nipple to be right down the back of her throat.

You could try using your fingers to compress the areola so that when she opens her mouth you quickly push the entire nipple and breast into her mouth and let go as soon as her lips form a seal. This might encourage her to get really good suction and stop the gradual slide.

csam

Star

• "csam" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Sunday, November 11th 2007, 8:19pm

Thanks Bells

Not sure why is started happening,think like you say,she's gradually slipping down.

Perhaps I've got a bit lazy with it and I'm not waiting until she has a 'big mouth' before I latch her on.

I don't think it's a fast flow issue, but I have noticed sometimes if my nipple is extra slippy IYKWIM, it's v hard for her to get the suction. But equally the 'bad latch' happens if my nipple isn't so slippy !

xxxx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Sunday, November 11th 2007, 8:35pm

Hmm.. I would just see if you can get as much breast into her mouth as is possible when she has her mouth at widest... and see if that helps. Maybe blottin the nipple to dry it might help too if that's a problem.

Sometimes we do get lax about technique once we feel we have 'cracked it'. Maybe a couple of days concentrating on the latch will undo the habit.

xxx

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Sunday, November 11th 2007, 10:52pm

Oh I remember that feeling well! your nipple needs to be touching the soft part of her palet which if you can feel into the back of you mouth is quite far back!

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Monday, November 12th 2007, 1:28am

I always blot with #2 if he unlatches. Both my nipple & his mouth/chin - always have done instinctively with him (I'm a bit OCD when it comes to fluids :] ). It seems to help. I just have a little flannel on standby whenever I feed - freebie mothercare ones but any towel/flannel would do.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE