You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Ethel

Star

• "Ethel" started this thread

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Tuesday, November 27th 2007, 7:35pm

Which day to have off

I know i am not matched yet but i was talking to my immediate big boss about when i come back to work after my 9 months off (god i cant wait) and i said i wld be coming back 4 days and perhaps reducing my hours by 1 hour a day as well. my boss works at home thursdays (emails me constantly) and dont work fridays. She said she would prefer it if i was in the office the days she was not in ie to filter calls and sort things out. I dont know if things will change once i go back ie reconstruction of dept etc but I was really hoping to have fridays off ie get housework done, shopping etc (remember future child will be at school) so weekend can be spent with child and DH.

Just wondered what days you ladies had off - wld a monday be better for me or perhaps 2 days on 2 days off

Thanks very much x

Reg: Feb 8th 2007

Tuesday, November 27th 2007, 7:40pm

I say Friday! All the part timers at work fight tooth and nail for Fridays where I work. Failing that Monday. Although I have no idea what i'm talking about I'm only saying those days cos I love long weekends!

Me - 29 +1 DH - 35 Male Factor

Ethel

Star

Tuesday, November 27th 2007, 7:42pm

Thats what i want deep down too fridays - I know what you mean Rachy its great having long weekend

I suppose its a long way off so cld sort the situation out then. My boss says she dont know what she will do without me so I hope they get someone really rubbish to cover for me and she be so desperate to get me back i can do what days i want lmao

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, November 27th 2007, 8:05pm

Have Friday off... lovely :))

Thursday becomes the new Friday, Friday becomes the new Saturday and Saturday becomes bank holiday Sunday... every week!!!! :D

Reg: Oct 10th 2005

Tuesday, November 27th 2007, 8:12pm

I say Friday too
I'm hoping to go back the start of the week to have a LONG weekend !!

Caz xx

Me 39, DH 39 ICSI Nov '06 BFP

FET Dec '10 - ET Dec 16th - Test Day 31/12/10

Ethel

Star

Tuesday, November 27th 2007, 8:18pm

Thanks girls :D

Hope you get the days you want Cazzmo
Like your theory Miss Bells

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, November 27th 2007, 8:23pm

I used to work 4 long days before I went part time because of DD. Initially my day off was Weds and it worked quite well, I did 2 days in, had a lie in, then 2 days in a it was weekend! Then I changed it to Friday, cos I kept missing important meetings at work, and I never got anything done. I used to think, stuff the housework, I've got all weekend to do it so it never got done! Friday didn't work as a day off for me. I also wouldn't recommend Monday because you can't look forward to bank holidays, because you'd be off anyway, same applies to Good Friday if its your usual day off. Personally, I think midweek is better. Just my opinion though!

Ethel

Star

Tuesday, November 27th 2007, 8:32pm

Opinion much appreciated Mrs J x

I do know I can be a slack alice when i have a friday off now thinking i do this tomorrow etc etc etc - i have to have a big think about it - cld be 18 months before it happens my head is just full of it at the mo xx

Thanks again ladies

mrsjasper

Megastar

Tuesday, November 27th 2007, 8:49pm

Ethel, I've been planning how family life would work for about the past 10 years! Its great when you finally get to put it into practice!

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Children: 6 yr old gorgeous girl, single mum now

Tuesday, November 27th 2007, 8:57pm

strangely enough, I like mondays.. ok i know that you miss the bank holidays, but maybe you could discuss this and ask for maybe two days off back a year for it.....

the good thing is after a hectic weekend with your little one, family, friends, whatever, you can take them to school for their first day of the week yourself, you don't feel the same "sunday night feeling" and once they are at school you can get ahead of yourself for the week. its no hassle being at work on a friday- everyone has the friday feeling. i now work weds thurs fri and love it. I worked mon, tues, fri when i first went back and hated sundays- now i just don't feel stressed at all! also means if an issue with the littleone comes up at school any time in the week you can phone up and arrange a meeting for the monday. I know the bank holiday thing sucks, but asi said an understanding employer would chuck you back a day or two for it.......

k
x
adoption...after a typically long journey, approved November 05, linked with strawb December 05, Brought our princess home May 06, aged 21 months

single mum since dec 08, and very grateful for the FZ support through the whole lot xx

** CLICK TO SUPPORT FZ **

Ethel

Star

Tuesday, November 27th 2007, 9:18pm

Glad i am not the only one Mrs J :D

Think my work actually give your bank holiday mondays back if you work mondays for the part timers. Thanks vegie - its good to see all options

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: DS#1 (clomid) 1999 -vb - DS#2 (natural BFP) c-sec

Tuesday, November 27th 2007, 9:29pm

I do Monday, Tuesday and 1/2 day Wednesday and love it ... week is over by Wednesday lunchtime ... although I can see the plus sides of being off a Monday - personally I wouldn't like doing 2 on 2 off -- I'd rather get it all over and done with and have a longer stretch off -- I think by the time I caught up with myself my mid-week day off would be over and I'd be going back to work ... although I'm sure it would work for some -- just my opinion.

Hope you get to put this in to practice soon hun xxx
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)
DS#2 MAY 2006 - MIRACLE !!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Bluey" (Nov 27th 2007, 9:30pm)

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Tuesday, November 27th 2007, 11:50pm

I don't work Thursday afternoons or Fridays - feels like a fab long weekend! Fridays off seems to be the most common for part time workers but I have friends who do different things though - one has Wednesday off and another works Tues, Weds, Thurs. I think in the end you just make whatever day you're out the office work for you - Sainsburys, bank, cleaning, ironing etc etc - not really a day off at all!

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Wednesday, November 28th 2007, 11:21am

humph - part-time not an option for me unfortunately

anyway, if it was I would do it one of two ways if I was only allowed to take 1 day off

1) take Wednesdays off - that way public holidays just arent an argument & it is nice to work 2 on 1 off
or
2) take Tuesday & Thursday afternoons off, that way you *can* do all the shopping cleaning etc and the weekends truly are free

kski

Ace

Reg: Mar 26th 2006

Wednesday, November 28th 2007, 12:19pm

Hmm

Friday is now a pretty quiet day - with so many out of office or working from home - so it is a bit cruisey!

Better to take Wednesday as that can be a real working day -

And get a cleaner for 2 hours on Friday with the Child benefit money !
problem solved

k
DAD to twins

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Wednesday, November 28th 2007, 12:25pm

most of my friends with children like to take Mondays off - that way they still get a long weekend but get the benefit of fridays often being the 'easiest' day of the week work-wise (depending on what your job is of course!).
I have one friend who used to take wednesdays off but recently swapped to MOndays. her reason? she said it was easier for the type of work she does to have the block of 4 days at it rather than 2 blocks of 2 days, if you get my drift!

but, hey, as soon as you are matched and bring your child home I'm sure that work will be the last thing on your mind!

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Ethel

Star

Wednesday, November 28th 2007, 12:42pm

Thanks people for all your advice. - i think i wld like to do it in a block and get it out of the way.

Well we had a memo today about home working - ie typing at home and emailing through - think alot of the people who have kids will jump at it now though so might miss out. Your kids still have to go to nursery/childminder but wld be good ie no travelling - i have to see - doubt if i will get it

I have to use the child benefit K to top up my money for being off - think a cleaner is def a no no at the mo although i have to see once worked out family tax credits etc.

I too hope it will happen soon getting inpatient

Reg: Feb 11th 2007

Children: My children are wonderful!

Wednesday, November 28th 2007, 7:11pm

I have had Wednesday as a non-work day for the last 8 years (since soon after I went back to work after Lucy). I am glad I have this day as I feel I would 'lose' Mondays doing everything I had put off until during the weekend and would waste Fridays - thinking I could catch up at the weekend! On Wednesdays I do the weekly shop, clean the loos, put the bathmats into wash, catch up on school work - oooh,.. lots of exciting stuff!! :D

Me 39, DH 40 Children, Lucy and DS (7)
Lucy lost in car accident 8th April 2002
TTC 6 years - ICSI x 4 - :BFN: x 4

Spider's Diary

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Wednesday, November 28th 2007, 7:30pm

I say wed too!!! Two on day off two on then weekend off!! Plus shopping is much easier on a wed, everywhere is always packed on a friday!! xx
Mum of 3 year old twins.
Had ICSI worked first time

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

• "victoria82" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 5th 2005

Wednesday, November 28th 2007, 8:01pm

i was just about to say thesame thing as Diddle. Wednesday off is good. at least you have a break off during the mid of the week to do shopping. shopping is best done mid week than friday or weekend

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, November 28th 2007, 8:19pm

I'd like Monday off...

and tuesday.....

and wednesday....

and thursday....

oh, and friday would be great as well!! :happy:

(sorry not much help!) x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Wednesday, November 28th 2007, 9:26pm

Monday, Wednesday or Fridays all have there benefits.

Ethel

Star

Thursday, November 29th 2007, 1:00pm

Thanks ladies :D

Reg: Oct 20th 2005

Thursday, November 29th 2007, 7:52pm

Im giving up my full time managers job when I go back to work in March,had enough!Hoping to do 3 days a week part time max,hopefully Monday,Thursday and Friday.Dont mind doing Friday,as everyone says,shops are a nightmare!

Me 41,dh 38.
First Ivf 2004 BFP,M/C at 9 weeks.
Second Ivf BFN.
Third Ivf no eggs fertalised.
Moved onto donor egg treatment in Spain.
Second cycle BFP!

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Friday, November 30th 2007, 12:01pm

Monday, Thursday, Friday sounds ideal to me - that way you get two weekends :D

mrsjasper

Megastar

Friday, November 30th 2007, 8:34pm

Another thing has occurred to me, I love Mondays when DH goes back to work and I can have her to myself again! I hate bank holidays, I have to share her for 3 days!

Ethel

Star

Friday, November 30th 2007, 9:50pm

Lol Mrs J

Hope you get your days Shelly

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE