You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

csam

Star

• "csam" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Sunday, January 6th 2008, 10:54am

Any tips for getting a baby to take a bottle of EBM ?

Hi

M is 13 weeks old (tomorrow), I expressed 4oz this morning so DH could try her with a bottle, she didn't take any :sadface: She was calm when he tried her but she just sat there confused and didn't even try and 'latch' on

I then fed her and we tried again but she didn't know what to do.

We used an Avent bottle with a number 2 teat.

Any tips for when we try again, or have we left it too late now she's 13 weeks old ?

Thanks

xxxxx

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Sunday, January 6th 2008, 11:02am

Just keep trying is all I can say, I used to leave the room so she couldn't see me and be confused.

Also we found she preferred the tommy tippee closer to nature teats.

Good luck xx

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Sunday, January 6th 2008, 11:21am

Z only took NUK wide neck teats and we really did struggle... then we tried with water once in the car and since then he thought it was the coolest thing on earth!!!
You know, big man and a bottle!

I would make small small bottles before whilst you to see if she will take it.

Don't get too stressed about it though. Some babies takes the bottle really easily and others doesnt... z wouldn't even take a dummy, he just did not like it!
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Sunday, January 6th 2008, 11:29am

Thanks !

I think we might try the Tommy Tippee bottles, I just wish we'd tried when she was younger !

I'm gutted that I've had to pour 4oz down the drain that I expressed at 6am ! That'll teach me. I have an ounce iin the fridge I may try her with later.

Thanks again

xxx

Saz

Sunday, January 6th 2008, 12:16pm

You could have frozen it! It will also keep in the fridge, at the back, for a week!

United Kingdom

Reg: Jan 21st 2007

Children: Caeden 3yrs, Logan 15 months

Sunday, January 6th 2008, 12:32pm

Aw im sure she'll take it in time. They are fussy little things, C just plays with the teat if you give him anything other that the avent bottles :rolleyes:

What did she weigh on wed?

Simone xxx
Simone - 25 - Proud Single Mummy :D
Two beautiful boys and a little lady on the way!!

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Sunday, January 6th 2008, 12:42pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Saz
You could have frozen it! It will also keep in the fridge, at the back, for a week!

I was stupid........I should've tried her with an ounce and kept the other 3 in the fridge to try later or frozen it...... guess I was a bit too confident she'd take the whole lot :rolleyes:

xxxx

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Sunday, January 6th 2008, 12:44pm

Quoted

Originally posted by shorty
Aw im sure she'll take it in time. They are fussy little things, C just plays with the teat if you give him anything other that the avent bottles :rolleyes:

What did she weigh on wed?

Simone xxx

Thanks Simone

She was 9lb 15.5oz, so 1/2 ounce under 10lb ! Would love to have known what C was, i know you didn't get chance to take him, be interesting to see what he is !

And to think I was advised to 'top her up', I haven't, but it's a bit worrying if she won't take a bottle !

xxx

United Kingdom

Reg: Jan 21st 2007

Children: Caeden 3yrs, Logan 15 months

Sunday, January 6th 2008, 1:44pm

Aw she will do, just keep trying.

Im going to take C on Tues so will let you know then :smile:

Simone xxx
Simone - 25 - Proud Single Mummy :D
Two beautiful boys and a little lady on the way!!

Sunday, January 6th 2008, 1:48pm

Hi sorry to butt in but my DD was the same with bottles some of the advice I had and tried was to use a 'breast bottle' I think the NCT site sell them and blooming marvelous. Also try feeding her in a car seat from behind - it did work a couple of times with DD honest!

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Sunday, January 6th 2008, 2:14pm

Hi, CSam
C was also very difficult with taking a bottle. He rejected Avent and I ended up throwing lots of EBM away even though I offered small amounts only. In the end I tried a NUK bottle and teat and he took to it like he had been drinking from a bottle all along and there was no trouble with nipple confusion. Once he got the hang of the NUK I offered him the Avent again and now he will drink from any teat. Also, initially, I could not be the one to give C his bottle as he would just refuse it if he so much as saw me but he would take it just fine from my mother or a friend of mine.

You did not leave it too late to try the bottle, Hun. It is advised that, if you intend bf'ing for as long as possible, you only introduce bottles after 6 weeks. I only started C on a bottle at 15 or 16 weeks as I had to go back to work and needed him to be able to have something while at creche and, while it was a struggle at first, he did manage in the end. And yes, I do still breast feed at night and on my days off...

Good luck with getting your little one to take the bottle.

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Sunday, January 6th 2008, 3:05pm

Thanks for more help and advice, will google NUK bottles in a minute. I honestly didn't think it would be so difficult......she's a fussy feeder so I should been prepared really !

Still, others have over come this problem so will keep perservering

will try the ounce I have in the fridge later, at least it may get her used to a teat in her mouth even if she won't dringk at the moment !

Thanks again

xxx

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Sunday, January 6th 2008, 3:53pm

Well i just breast fed M and then DH tried her with a bottle of EBM again, I knew she wouldn't be that hungry.......any how DH said she took the tiniest amount and didn't look as confused as last time, so I guess perserverence(sp) is the key....

xxxx

Reg: Oct 10th 2005

Sunday, January 6th 2008, 4:08pm

that's the way chicks - keep trying her with it and it'll work out

Caz xx

Me 39, DH 39 ICSI Nov '06 BFP

FET Dec '10 - ET Dec 16th - Test Day 31/12/10

KIRSTY G

Reg: Sep 27th 2006

Children: 7 year old little man, and B/G twins

Sunday, January 6th 2008, 4:23pm

Think you're doing the right thing ... Don't stress if she doesn't take to it straight away, but don't give in too easily either. Trying every day is probably the bast thing, and never when you're on edge ... you'll only get frustrated and she'll associate a bottle with an unhappy event, then you've got no chance
Agree about the TT bottles, they're supposed to be best for BF'd babies trying bottles

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Sunday, January 6th 2008, 5:00pm

Thanks Kirsty

Actually feeling quite upbeat about it, even tho it hasn't worked out as I'd hoped.

All I can do is keep trying.....

Just say for instance she won't take it out of a bottle (that's not good PMA is it), do you think she'll have it in a cup, and how old will she be when she can have a cup ? some time yet I guess.

xxx

KIRSTY G

Sunday, January 6th 2008, 5:09pm

Think the cups are from 6 months maybe? Actually just looked on the TT website, and they have some from 4 months ... though, i've got to say, if she doesn't take a bottle, why would she take a cup? Suppose it's something different to try ...

There are so many different types of teat that i'm sure you'll find one she'll like

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Sunday, January 6th 2008, 5:13pm

Hmm, don't know why I'd think that really, only that at some point she'll have to learn how to use a cup where as at the moment she doesn't have to learn to use a bottle, IYKWIM !!

xxx

KIRSTY G

Sunday, January 6th 2008, 5:18pm

TT have a brand called Nuby, which has bumps around the teat, they might work?

Sunday, January 6th 2008, 5:41pm

My friends had a mare getting her ickle boy to take a bottle...tried every bottle/teat/size etc going - my SIL had the same problem and receomended a bottle they do in Mothercare - sorry I don't know the make - but it's been specifically designed for babies going from breast to bottle. He's now taking about 3-4oz from that which is a major breakthrough for them. I'll get the make of them for you hunni

Caz xx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Sunday, January 6th 2008, 6:30pm

My eldest was 8 months before she would take a bottle. I think I bought every bottle and teat on the market but nope... nope nope nope... and then one day bingo! But by then she should've been on cups :rolleyes:

I decided to try my youngest with a bottle early on and she took it... but it was such a faff expressing and sterilising bottles that I didn't keep it up and eventually she wouldn't take it....so we went straight to cups.

lots of newborns are given ebm from normal open cups, they sometimes lap it like a cat which is very cute :D Just keep trying different bottles, cups if you want to (try the cheap plain sippy cups with no valves or anything fancy).

Taking expressed milk from bottle

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Sunday, January 6th 2008, 7:05pm

I was about to suggest this aswell. M took a bottle after a few goes at it but my friends DD wouldn't so she tried a diody cup and she has used an open cup since that day with no problems at all she won't entertain a cup with a spout.

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Sunday, January 6th 2008, 9:01pm

Bottles

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=1364…d=1186426794247

googling shows that lots of babies dont get on with avent teats - I dont know if you can get them in the UK (you can in south africa & australia & seasia) but I use pigeon peristaltic teats

Reg: Sep 13th 2006

Children: One daughter

Monday, January 7th 2008, 7:26pm

Raffi took it from the tommee tippee closer to nature bottles without any fuss but my friend uses a tiny espresso coffee cup and he takes tiny sips!
MC 1997, Ectopic 2006, Tubal infertility, 1st IVF :BFP: [zx098]

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Monday, January 7th 2008, 8:25pm

Thanks all for your suggestions !

Tried her a few times since......DH thinks she has taken the tiniest sips.

Just tried her with a pre sterilised bottle (it's the only other bottles we've got in the house at the moment), small progress I think, v small....

We'll keep trying this week and if no joy we'll get some different bottles/teats at the weekend, does anyone know if the tommee tippee bottles will fit in an Avent steriliser, or would I have to buy a new steriliser ?

Thanks

xxxx

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Monday, January 7th 2008, 8:26pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Emilia44
Raffi took it from the tommee tippee closer to nature bottles without any fuss but my friend uses a tiny espresso coffee cup and he takes tiny sips!

Meant to ask, how old was Raffi when you first tried her ?

Hope you are both ok

xxx

KIRSTY G

Monday, January 7th 2008, 8:26pm

We've got an avent steriliser, and ours fit ... you can't cram as many in as you would like, but it'll take 3 TT bottles

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Monday, January 7th 2008, 8:38pm

Thanks Kirsty

xxx

Monday, January 7th 2008, 8:55pm

C
If you get stuck Mothercare so these sterilising bags that you microwave for 3 mins. They're fab for taking hoem to mum's instead of lugging the whole sterilising unit. Think they are £5 for 3 and each one can be used 20 times so a good deal really. I recommend them if you go out and about and need to re-do bottles

Caz xxx

Tuesday, January 8th 2008, 1:21pm

I use old fashioned Milton sterilising tablets.

Chuck 1/2 a tablet into a small saucepan of cold water, add washsed bottles, teats, dummies etc.

Wait 15 minutes - sterilised! :D oh, and you can safely leave them sterile in the water for up to 24 hours.

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Wednesday, January 9th 2008, 2:23pm

Great ideas re the sterilising

I'm putting the steriliser on every few hours on the off chance that she'll have a long sleep and I can express a few ounces (was going to say churn, that's how I feel at the moment :rolleyes: ). I can express 3-5oz in the morning but I like to freeze that and try and get a few ounces in the day to try and get her to take a bottle.

Not easy when she feeds every 2 hours and has cat naps !! DH said 'just use your frozen stuff' :scream: is how I felt

Any way gonna spend a small bloody fortune at the weekend buying teats etc, TBH not sure it'll be that effective, if I put my finger in her mouth she'll suck it, if I put a bottle in she just sits there with her mouth open so I'm not sure it matter what teat I use ?(

anyhow, Dh has been trying twice a day, no joy, my mums sat her in her bouncer today and tried - no joy

Don't feel like we are even making baby steps at the moment

Sorry for the whinge, is that or cry at the moment

Thanks for all your support, I always just assumed she'd take a bottle

xxxx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "csam" (Jan 9th 2008, 2:24pm)

Saz

Wednesday, January 9th 2008, 2:29pm

Right - expressing! Best time to express is thru the night as that is when you produce more milk. Also, try practising expressing with one hand. That way, you can learn to express while feeding, making the most of the let down.

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Wednesday, January 9th 2008, 2:38pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Saz
Right - expressing! Best time to express is thru the night as that is when you produce more milk. Also, try practising expressing with one hand. That way, you can learn to express while feeding, making the most of the let down.

I just worry that because she mostly feeds every 2 hours (another reason why I'd like her to take a bottle), that there won't be enough milk left for her next feed ! I'm mostly expressing at 6am, if she's not fed in the night I can sometimes get 5oz, so............i'm buiding up a stock of milk that she won't take :rolleyes: !!

DH is still convinced he can get her to take a bottle, I don't share his optimisim, and whilst I don't have PND, and hope not to get it I am getting quite low about the whole situation :sadface:

xxxx

Saz

Wednesday, January 9th 2008, 2:41pm

There will be enough hun! Your body will produce what it needs to. You don't use it, it won't make it.

Wednesday, January 9th 2008, 6:04pm

have you looked at the link about how much milk a baby would take? if your baby is only 3 months old and feeding 10 times per day then each feed she would only take 3oz so that is why your body does not produce much more than that.

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Wednesday, January 9th 2008, 6:44pm

Thanks Sunshine

The expressing is going ok, I can get 5oz in the morning if M has slept all night and then another couple in the day, I can get 3-4oz in the morning if she has fed in the night. I could probably get more but don't like to keep going if there is no one to look after M when I express.

Any how, so I'm not concerned with the expressing, I am concerned I'm gonna have a freezer full of milk that she won't take.

DH just tried to feed her and she fell asleep ! (almost unheard of in the evening).

I know it's early days.............but I'm really getting down about it :sadface:

xxx

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, January 9th 2008, 8:02pm

I have just been browsing and found this!

breast to bottle

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Wednesday, January 9th 2008, 8:14pm

Just been looking at that !!! mmmmmm wonder if it'll work....
what i don't 'get' is that I thought if you put 'something'/'anything' in her mouth she'd have a suck, but with the bottle she doesn't even try...

Going to have another try this evening, and then have a couple of bottles in the fridge for tomorrow, keep on keeping on.....

xxxx

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Wednesday, January 9th 2008, 8:27pm

Csam, just looked at the link Chilli posted, think that is what that couple from my nct group use, and they have got on really well with it too!

Been thinking of you today, wish I had more words of wisdom that I could offer, am wracking my brains to think of anything that may help you!

xxx

<

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Wednesday, January 9th 2008, 8:33pm

Thanks Laura

M has just latched on to her dad's neck, I so wish I could staple a bottle to it, perhaps she'd have a suck ??

Just don't don't know what I'll do if the mountain of teats I'm going to buy don't work :headache

xxxx

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Wednesday, January 9th 2008, 8:53pm

It is stressful, think buy a few different teats etc, and maybe work through each one, perhaps trying a few times with each one you try, as may take more then one go with them?

Know I jump ahead too, with the 'what ifs' but lets hope that one of these teats/bottles will hit the spot with M!

xxx

<

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Thursday, January 10th 2008, 4:02pm

Sorry to be a continued p.i.t.a, but..........when I go out and buy up the entire range of teats and bottles that mothercare have, what sort of flow of teat should I get ?

I don't think she's ever made 'contact' with the teat yet so I don't suppose there is much point to this post, but..........fast flow so she know's there milk there, or slow flow so it doesn't overwhelm her ?

Thanks

xxxx

edited as it didn't make sense, sorry bit tired !!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "csam" (Jan 10th 2008, 4:11pm)

KIRSTY G

Thursday, January 10th 2008, 4:07pm

I would definately just buy the TT ones first, in the newborn size ... We have the size 2 ones and they only just cope with those ...
The shape of the avent ones is so different to the TT ones, she may surprise you.
Try not to get caught up in the prices, and let it compound you anxiety over bottles ... Cartons of formula cost around £8 a can, and last less than a week, think of all the cash you've saved so far :D

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Thursday, January 10th 2008, 4:15pm

Cheers Kirsty

Really not bothered about the cost, so will try anything/everything !! My sanity comes first and getting out and about, would be good not to spend loads but will pay whatever if we can find something that works !!

Found a teat in my expresser box so will try that, and also have a teat from the hospital so will try that also !!

xxxx

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Sunday, January 13th 2008, 8:00pm

Dh thinks some progress has been made......I always stay out of the room so I don't really know.

He thinks the best teats we have tried have been boots textured teats (£1.99 for 2), they only had fast flow tho, which is to fast.After he told me the good news that he thinks she's getting used to having the teat in her mouth, he told me the teats are discontinued :bawl: :bawl:

So I'm going to scour the country to try and find these elusive teats, wish me luck xfingers

xxxxx

Sunday, January 13th 2008, 8:45pm

Good luck hunni
Once they get used to the teat in theory perhaps you can find one that's similar

Caz xxx

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Sunday, January 13th 2008, 9:15pm

Here's hoping Caz !

Managed to order 4 slow teats online and 2 more fast teats ! They had no medium ones tho.....

If we make a bit more progress I may put an sos out on FZ !! I'm that desperate !!

I dunno, I keep quizzing Dh, "what does she do", "has she really had any" etc etc, but I really need to see it for myself.

ho hum

xxxx

Wednesday, January 16th 2008, 12:30pm

try contacting these guys
and see if they deliver overseas

New Zealand pharmacy site

Australian website

note that the wideneck peristaltic teats are compatible with the Avent system so you dont need to buy additional bottles

csam

Star

• United Kingdom

Friday, January 18th 2008, 1:49pm

Thanks Sunshine for the link.
We are perservering with the same teat this week.

M has had the tiniest amount from a bottle just now.I'm encouraged that hopefully she is learning what to do.......however is this a good step that if we keep trying she'll work out what to do or is this as good as it gets ?

I don't suppose any one can answer that really !!

Also.......if I really can't get her to take a bottle now or soonish what do I do in the future, ie when she is 6 months when I really do have to give up BF ? I suppose what I am trying to say is if I can't get her take a bottle now then how will i be able to when she is 6 months old ? Or will she be able to drink from a cup because she will have lost the tongue thurst reflex ?

Does that make sense ??

Thanks

xxxx

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Friday, January 18th 2008, 2:06pm

She won't starve herself! You will be ok!
The day will come when she will take the bottle and you might not want to give up BF at 6 months anyway :)
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE