You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "cazzmo" started this thread

Reg: Oct 10th 2005

Thursday, January 10th 2008, 7:41pm

quandry re work/nursery

Hi all
Am jumping the gun here a bit but due back in work in July, hopefully goinmg form full-time 36 hours to job share 18 hours a week... hours to be arranged. My employers have said I need to apply in May as my hours etc will be given depending on business needs. I already know they are going to be really awkward about it as they are not very flexible at all - they expect you to work 20 hours a week....4 hours a day, which will cost £125 a week in childcare, and I wouldn't see much of A X( .

They are a very very large telecoms company so you'd think they'd be better equipped to deal with my request. Anyway quandry is I want A to go to a specific nursery for at least 1 day, probably 2 days a week. I obviously need to sort out his place in advance of him starting and probably before I arrange my hours in work. Work will need my request formally, for eg... monday 9 -5 etc before them agreeing.

What rights do I have as I will probably need to inform the nursery A will be with them Mon/Tues etc before work agree I can have those days off. Do they have to comply with my childcare arrangements, bearing in mind if I work Mon/Tues they are the busiest days in the office. My manager arrangs it all and they are more interested in hitting crappy targets than sorting HR stuff out for us.

My concern is another girl returning from m/l has handed in her notice, probably cos of the hours she had to work ie...not very flexible

Caz xx

Me 39, DH 39 ICSI Nov '06 BFP

FET Dec '10 - ET Dec 16th - Test Day 31/12/10

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Thursday, January 10th 2008, 7:57pm

Unfortunately, you have no 'rights' as such to request to work around your childcare, the company itself has the upper hand on flexible working times, although the government will tell you otherwise!

You have the right to request flexible/reduced working hours I think 4 weeks before you are due to return to work, the comapny can then accept or arrange a meeting for you to put your case forward on how the business can manage with you working these hours, in laymans terms, you have to persuade your bosses that you can still take on your workload and that your absense won't be missed! All for part time wages!!

Your best aim is to tell them that you have considered which hours you can work which will be most beneficial to the company and that you have had to arrange childcare to suit. Your boss cannot demand that you work certain hours/ days if they would prove to be difficult with childcare. I also took with me brochures of the nursery I intended to send Lolly to, with a price list so they could see for themselves how much a 5 day week would cost me compared to 2 full days.

As they are a large company do they also do busy bees vouchers? These can get you upto 25% off nursery costs at certain childcare providers :))

As for the nursery, they are usually pretty flexible depending on the demand, its probably wise to get A's name down now for the days you are thinking and you can do the finer points with them once you know where you are with work :))

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Max born March 07 - thanks to frozen embryo transfer, our little miracle

Thursday, January 10th 2008, 8:02pm

Hi Hun

Check out my old thread on a similar subject - mousie added a good link that may help you.

Reducing working hours - what are my rights?

Good luck H x

5 x ICSI b.f.n
1 x FET resulting in my gorgeous son born 2007

Friday, January 11th 2008, 8:05am

Thanks hunni
Have read it, think I'll email my boss to see how the land lies. Syaing that they aren't able to decide anything. All our requests go to a panel somewhere to decide. I am a bum on a seat and that seat needs to filled at peak busy hours - I work in a call centre type enviroment - but I can see what he says.

Just a quick question, I think from the middle of Jan I am on SMP, the £112 a week, does that mean I can make chnages to my contract now, like going PT at 18 hours... will that affect my maternity pay that I've been given at ym full time rate?

Caz x

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "cazzmo" (Jan 11th 2008, 8:06am)

Missy

Superstar

Friday, January 11th 2008, 9:32am

No, they can only start you on part time payment once you start part time hours

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Friday, January 11th 2008, 10:35am

So in theory I can start the jobshare contract now and do this when I returm in July. Ihave a friedn who's in work now currently waiting to start jobshare with me, and hopefully can sort it all out before I get back

Caz xxx

Monday, January 14th 2008, 9:25am

Latest update....mailed my boss Thursday who hasn't responded, but sent other emails so I know he's in work.... typical...plus my jobshare partners now changed her mind...so even more stuck then before

GRRRR X( X( X( X(

Caz x

Missy

Superstar

Monday, January 14th 2008, 9:46am

Oh what a pain hun :sadface:

Has your jobshare changed her mind about jobsharing or about the hours she wants?

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Monday, January 14th 2008, 11:23am

Jobsharing total - she's on a unique contract and doesn't want to lose that if anything happened
Not sure what to so now. Will have to wait and see I guess

Caz x

kar1

• "kar1" is no longer a member of FZ

Monday, January 14th 2008, 11:31am

this is all such a pain for you hunni.

i hope something gets sorted
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol
:BFP:

Tyler May born 5/5/2010 by emergency c section. Tyler is our sunshine

Monday, January 14th 2008, 12:45pm

I know - shouldn't even be thinking of work yet really, got months before I go back but it's got to be sorted for nursery.

again....grrr !!! X(

Missy

Superstar

Monday, January 14th 2008, 1:33pm

Oh no :sadface:

Do like I said with the nursery, book A in for the days you are intending on going back, the places are there then. If things do change you can let them know further down the line :))

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Monday, January 14th 2008, 4:33pm

Yep think I will hun - I'll book him in Tuesdays and Wednesdays - my mum is going to have him, she'd prefer Monday so he can stay over and we can go to the flicks :innocent:

caz xxx

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE