You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Emilia44" started this thread

Reg: Sep 13th 2006

Children: One daughter

Tuesday, February 5th 2008, 4:22pm

increased frequency of night feeds

Raffi has generally been sleeping 5 hours straight then one night feed then another 3-4 hours and then feed, hour playtime and another hour or two sleep and then up for day since birth. sometimes i even got 6 hours straight... until about 2 weeks ago. except for one night i'm feeding ever 1 1/2 to 2 .

i think its to do with her teething and these are quick comfort feeds and straight back to sleep - for her anyway! i'm shattered!

a friend suggested it might be hunger and time for weaning (she's 4 months on sunday) but i really dont want to wean until 6 months. if it was hunger i would have thought she'd feed longer - not a quick 5 mins.

what do you think ladies?
MC 1997, Ectopic 2006, Tubal infertility, 1st IVF :BFP: [zx098]

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Tuesday, February 5th 2008, 4:28pm

Growth spurt more than likely M was the same at four months and I think we all assume it's because they need solid food which is not always the case xx

Tuesday, February 5th 2008, 4:47pm

hmmm good point chili

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, February 5th 2008, 5:53pm

Four months seems to be a really difficult time simply because we all have this seed sown that at four months babies can eat solid food AND it coincides with a huge growth spurt. If you weaned now she wouldn't be taking enough to get her through the night, you'd have to build up in quantity and frequency of solids before she was eating enough to sleep through... it would take a couple of months to get to that stage 'so' ... might as well not bother weaning yet...

I think teething can play havoc with night feeds as breastfeeding releases not only comforting sensations but actual pain relief to babies... and so it's natural to want to suck.

Whether it's a growth spurt or whether it's teething it's going to be over soon and this 'is' only temporary. It's so hard when you're just getting used to your sleep and it all suddenly goes belly up but in perspective it's only a short term problem and if it's not then you can always reconsider weaning as a fallback.

Tuesday, February 5th 2008, 5:57pm

thanks Bells i definitely dont want to wean until 6 months and i dont feel raffi's ready for it either even though everyone around me seems to be weaning their babes at 4 months.

i dont mind the sleepless nights and lets face it i've been lucky til now so i'm probably owed some!!! if she needs the comfort she can have it poor little bear.

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Wednesday, February 6th 2008, 11:41am

absolutely a growth spurt & you may want to consider bringing her into your room for a few nights until she reduces the frequency again

Wednesday, February 6th 2008, 11:52am

Quoted

Originally posted by Sunshine
absolutely a growth spurt & you may want to consider bringing her into your room for a few nights until she reduces the frequency again

we're co-sleeping so i dont even get out of bed - i have no idea how non co sleepers could cope with hourly feeds! if i had to get up i'd keel over!

Wednesday, February 6th 2008, 12:31pm

with difficulty ;)

especially when working full time :8o:

Wednesday, February 6th 2008, 1:18pm

Well hats off to you hun. I'm doing 3 weeks work in March and am already nervous about coping if R is still on a million feeds a night! I've nearly fainted twice today and had to sit down quickly because I'm so tired. Soon as she goes off we're both going for a nap!

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Wednesday, February 6th 2008, 1:46pm

Hope you manage to grab some rest Emilia! The night feeds when they are in another room are even more tiring....hence why H is back in our room, I lasted 2 weeks getting up and down during the night, find it so much easier with him right next to me in his cot!

xxx

<

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Wednesday, February 6th 2008, 2:35pm

Z was just the same, it goes in waves...
Have you tried sticking her on a bit more during the day even though she doesn't seem up for a feed?

It was only when he was doing the same thing at 7 months (me being the dummy all through the night) that we put him in his own room.
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Wednesday, February 6th 2008, 3:39pm

she does feed alot day time too and always has but i never minded day time. i have noticed the teething is making her sick alot day times though never at night.

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Wednesday, February 13th 2008, 3:45pm

Hi Emilia

what's Raffi's night time feeding like now ?

Last night I fed M 3 times between 1.15am and 5.15am :tired:
The 2 previous nights she's had 2 night feeds.

I'm hoping it's a growth spurt, but she maybe teething as well.

Hope you are getting some more sleep now !

xxxxx

Thursday, February 14th 2008, 12:47pm

csam - how long does she cry for before you pick her up & feed her? where is she sleeping?

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Thursday, February 14th 2008, 3:42pm

She's in a crib by my bed.

I let her 'grumble' and then when it turns in to tears (or is about to turn to tears) and she's kicked all her blankets off I feed her !

This week has been so v tough, previously she used to feed at 3ish but it could be 4 or 5am, but the last week she's fed twice and the last 3 nights I've fed her 3 times in a short period of time.

I'm just about on my knees TBH, I'm trying not to whinge but it's tough as she won't take a bottle either, so the longest I've had away from her is an hour. It's ok really, but I keep hearing how important 'me' time is but I can't get any.

It's only short term I know, when I'm back at work I'll ache for her so trying to keep my chin up !

xxxx

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Friday, February 22nd 2008, 8:15pm

I was wondering if M should be sleeping through the night by now ? She has done a few times now, but never consistently and not for ages.

I honestly didn't expect her to sleep through until she is weaned, but reading a few threads this week I'm thinking that she should be sleeping through and I've understood it wrong.

Should I be 'refusing' her a feed when she wakes up ? Confused !

xxx

Saturday, February 23rd 2008, 5:47am

JJ has only in the last week or so started sleeping through and even then he still has a grumble around 4-4:15am and then falls back asleep again.

At 4 months he certainly didnt sleep through, and neither did PP.

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Saturday, February 23rd 2008, 1:22pm

Ello ladies
casm
Just wanted to reply to yor post really :smile:

I was wondering if M should be sleeping through the night by now ? She has done a few times now, but never consistently and not for ages.

Not all babies sleep through (i flamin wish :snigger: ) IMO I think its quite normal for a baby to still wake in the night for one reason or another.

I honestly didn't expect her to sleep through until she is weaned, but reading a few threads this week I'm thinking that she should be sleeping through and I've understood it wrong.

I dont think its anything you are doing is wrong, I have twin boys and I have done everything the same for both - M 99% sleeps through, J hardly ever

Should I be 'refusing' her a feed when she wakes up ? Confused !

Have you tried offering water instead from sippy cup ather then bottle, when you say she wakes is it full on im awake or is it a grumpy I've woken up and I cant get back to sleep type (iygwim).

:D :D
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "1xbaby pls" (Feb 23rd 2008, 1:33pm)

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Saturday, February 23rd 2008, 4:21pm

Thanks Sunshine,I've always assumed I should feed her when she wakes ! But after reading some threads I've thought perhaps she was waking out of habit, so it's good to read your 2 were waking (and now sleeping :thumbsup2:) Think I'll carry on and when weaning is established she def shouldn't be waking for feeds.

1x - thanks for that, so J still doesn't sleep through ? I thought it was the rules :headache

I can't M to drink from a cup (or bottle), so don't have the option of offering her water, prob shouldn't if BF anyway.

Def thinks she's got 'worse' with the night feeds but feel it's too early to wean.

xxx

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Saturday, February 23rd 2008, 8:18pm

I tried weaning J at M's age to help with sleeping, a bit of baby rice before bed. It made NO difference, he still wokeSO i gave up and waited till 6mths
And yes (sorry) he still wakes, but I have decided thats just Life for me for a while, I must have tried everything and am resigned to it for however long.
But to be fair he has had all his teeth one straight after the other 1st one at 6mths and he has just cut last Fang so all complete, hopefully no more teething Mama gets some kip. :D

I have decided that baby books should say......
Trying times & Crying are a Common part of a babies/childrens life, so important they have named the excuses for it right up to teenage years
When we have cranky or unsettled new borns is called COLIC
Then from 3mths to 2yrs its Teething, 2 - 3 is terrible two's,
3-10 - overtierd/indepenence/the friends they hang round with.
then TEENAGER
and then Puberty!!!!!
:D :D
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE