You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Sunshine" started this thread

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Sunday, February 17th 2008, 12:52pm

sore boobs still?

it's been almost a week now since I last bf, and that was only once a day as I took it really slowly dropping the feeds

but.... my breasts are still "full". they're not hugely engorged but they are full and sore for that. I dont want to pump as they arent engorged and I dont want to stimulate them further. breast shells only cause a small amount of leakage. I still occasionally leak. Wearing a tight bra is only making matters worse and more uncomfortable. I cant get hold of special herbal teas or anything like that here.

any ideas?! :sadface:

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Sunday, February 17th 2008, 1:30pm

You've been feeding for a long time now and your milk supply is well established.... it's not going to vanish overnight so you will still feel that there is milk in there.....

If they're really uncomfortable then you could tak some paracetamol or lay hot wet flannels on them or even cold cabbage leaves inside your bra. Don't wear a tight bra as your ducts are still working and and constriction can still lead to infection.

The fullness should decrease soon and with it the discomfort but if you're still sore in a week then I would see the GP just to rule out infections..... although that's unlikely in both breasts...

It took me well over a year to stop producing milk after my second.... but my breasts didn't feel full or sore after a couple of weeks.

Monday, February 18th 2008, 12:21pm

thanks Bells

it was hard enough weaning emotionally, never mind having this physical reminder :bawl:

I wish I hadnt had to go back to work, as I'm sure you remember almost as well as I did the hassles with the first, and what an easy baby to feed (despite not seeing him for days at the beginning!) JJ was. It just seems so wrong to wean, and yet after getting used to the bottle/formula during the daytime, dropping the dreamfeed, and then getting all frustrated with the day/night feeds, there wasnt any other option - I miss the bonding.... giving him a bottle just doesnt seem right :bawl:

but he is doing fine and is thriving :shush:

ZIG

Ace

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Isabella Mae (ICSI No.3) and Ruby Olivia (natural)

Monday, February 18th 2008, 6:21pm

My boobs took about 3 weeks to settle and stop feeling sore. I found that an elasticated tight vest type bra really helped me, but I had to wear it 24/7. My boobs went from hard and engorged to just hard then softer but lumpy and finally to soft! And all the time they were really uncomfortable. I didn't have an infection either. Keep an eye on them, but I reckon in a week or so you'll be back to normal. If not get down to your gp.
Z x
Me 38, DH 44. 2002-2004 2x ICSI's, 1x egg donation. Changed clinics for own eggs ICSI/tx no.4 - BFP 27/4/05! Mummy to Isabella after early c-section 15/12/05, due to LLP. Baby No.2 (huge 'natural' surprise!) Ruby Olivia arrived 29/09/07 via emergency c-section.

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Monday, February 18th 2008, 6:31pm

I have no personal experience of what it is like to stop, but I do know that several of my acquaintances continued to lactate for up to two years after stopping.
Do the docs still prescribe Parlodel to help you dry up more quickly? I know it was the rage 15 years ago but it had "gone out of fashion" a few years back as doctors were told not to give it in order to "encourage" mums to continue feeding...

Edited to add: Just read up on Parlodel - don't think you would want to take it. Can have some really nasty side-effects so that may also account for why they stopped giving it so freely. Now more commonly used for parkinsons and certain tumours that cause increased levels of prolactin...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rene" (Feb 18th 2008, 6:37pm)

Tuesday, February 19th 2008, 12:21pm

I'm too scared to go to the docs

I dont think I've got an infection and they arent HUGE, just very full, and leaking when I hear JJ cry....... :(

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Tuesday, February 19th 2008, 6:33pm

Hunny that is quite normal. You did not stop lactating, JJ just doesn't want to suckle anymore. Your body is going to take a while before it stops trying to feed him. If you don't have an infection and you are not in pain then there is no need to see the doctor. If you really can't tolerate the leaking and fullness anymore then go and see a doc but otherwise just give yourself time and you will find that you are less and less full by the day

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Wednesday, February 20th 2008, 11:06am

well my right boob is sorer than the left and fuller

(D)S#1 kicked it though this evening when I was changing him! :8o: X( :cross:

holy. f*ck. that hurt. :bawl:

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, February 20th 2008, 11:11am

You can take a little bit of milk off if it's getting really bad Sunshine. Sure it will draw out the whole process but it may be preferable to have it last longer than for it to be so painful.

Wednesday, February 20th 2008, 11:41am

well icepacks currently helping

ach - I dont know - it's mostly the (always difficult) right one that has always super-charged. I had a forecful let down on that side from the beginning.

how to describe? they are round and full and a bit lumpy, and sore, but they arent oh-my-god-tightly-pulled-stretch-engorged.

feeling quite blue about all of this. I didnt really want it to happen but it did, and I got such a lovely feeling after emptying boobs with DS feeding. I'm still not able to bottle feed him without crying yet. Also I'm exhausted as I wake up with wet sheets during the night, even though DS has started to sleep through. And I cant get comfortable.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, February 20th 2008, 11:42am

Do you think you were ready to stop? Has that changed now do you think?

ZIG

Ace

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Isabella Mae (ICSI No.3) and Ruby Olivia (natural)

Wednesday, February 20th 2008, 10:15pm

Aw missus - sending you a big hug - but don't wet me when I squeeze ya!

My left one was always a nightmare too. It really does sound similar to what I went through, although I didn't feed R anywhere near as long as you did with No.2. Just focus on the fact that it will pass soon, but it feel like forever as you are upset at having to give it up. Wear breast pads through the night so that you don't wake up soaking.

You have said it yourself - he's thriving - and he loves his mummy.

Zig x
Me 38, DH 44. 2002-2004 2x ICSI's, 1x egg donation. Changed clinics for own eggs ICSI/tx no.4 - BFP 27/4/05! Mummy to Isabella after early c-section 15/12/05, due to LLP. Baby No.2 (huge 'natural' surprise!) Ruby Olivia arrived 29/09/07 via emergency c-section.

Thursday, February 21st 2008, 1:22pm

Bells, no I wasnt ready to stop, and I wish I could have had longer with paid maternity leave, but DH is out of work and we live overseas where he cant get another work visa so there was simply no other way to support the family but for me to go back to work. Then when I did, I couldnt pump during the day successfully, then DS dropped the night dream feed himself, and then shortly afterwards just didnt want boobies but bottle for the morning/bed-time feeds and would scream in frustration.

I still wish I hadnt stopped - or rather, I wish I hadnt had to bottle feed because I was at work.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, February 21st 2008, 3:03pm

Oh you poor thing, you're head's not around it and your heart's not in it... and you still have the physical symptoms to contend with... :(

The fact that he didn't want the boob is a good thing at least. If he had been simpering after you then it would've been so much harder, at least this way it's just your own sadness to deal with.

I hope your boobs deflate real soon xfingers

Friday, February 22nd 2008, 11:23am

getting there

each day is a little smaller, less lumpy, and a bit easier.......

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE