You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Sunshine" started this thread

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Friday, March 3rd 2006, 1:38am

How do you heal your nipples?!

Both my nipples cracked and bled a few weeks ago.

I can't express at the moment because the suction causes the wound to open up again (as does DS feeding but I have no option there).

I have to wear a bra because my nipples are so tender that I cannot bear a shirt or nightie rubbing across them so the bra protects them.

I put on Lansinoh (we found some!) ointment on them after every feed. I also wear Mothercare breast pads to stop my nipples from crusting and attaching (ouch!) to the bra, especially at night.

I've been to the baby clinic and had checked that Peter is latching on ok, and he is - I can tell when he isnt (because it hurts!) and readjust him properly if necessary.

But..... my nipples STILL havent healed. I still have raw wounds on the nipples. They hurt so much that I am having trouble sleeping when I do finally get a chance to sleep.

Can anyone help?! please?!

secrets

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Friday, March 3rd 2006, 8:28am

Awwwwww!! babes, my experience was so long ago (12 years now), I can't rememeber what I did - I am sure I used a cream mixed with vaseline and stuck each nipple in warm salt water :rolleyes:

Mind you the old fashion stuff is out now and I am sure they have some miracle creams and gadgets now, hope you get some comfort soon.
Just noticed you baby is 1 month old now...wasn't so long ago you posted that surprise BFP link on the site. :))
icsi - m/c 05
icsi bfp 2009 twins born nov 2009

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, March 3rd 2006, 10:40am

Right.... battle stations.

By wearing breastpads all the time (at night) your nipples are being kept damp which isn't helping them to heal. If you have open cracks which are being kept warm and damp you have an ideal breeding ground for thrush, which it sounds like you might have.

Ideally you should sleep topless, fresh air is a good healer. After a feed don't wipe your nipples, leave the milk and saliva on then go back to sleep and leave the covers around your waist. There are healing qualities in breastmilk and the saliva will dry leaving a film on your nipples.

Look at your nipples and see if they're very pink, squeeze the tip of your nipple, it should go white for a second then go pink again.... if it stays white then you could have thrush. Is Peter's tongue cery pink or does it have a white covering at the back that looks like old milk? Do you have someone to see about the possibility of thrush?

I know that I keep harping on about it but thrush can cause your nipples to remain sore for a long time and even wearing pure, fine silk feels like you're wearing sandpaper.

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Friday, March 3rd 2006, 1:35pm

i usd nipple shields when feeding ds, it doesnt stop the pain so much, but it does stop direct contact with the sore bits. and i also used breast cups, they collect milk, and if you sterilise them you can use the milk you collect. it helped me cos nothing was in contact with my nipples between feeds using those. hope that helps a bit hunny.
hope you feel better soon xxxxxx

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "cookie" (Mar 3rd 2006, 1:38pm)

Saturday, March 4th 2006, 3:41am

cookie - the nipple shields dont work - DS wont take them. and the breast cups I tried, but they leave things too damp.

bells -
"Look at your nipples and see if they're very pink, squeeze the tip of your nipple, it should go white for a second then go pink again.... if it stays white then you could have thrush. Is Peter's tongue cery pink or does it have a white covering at the back that looks like old milk? Do you have someone to see about the possibility of thrush?"

I dont seem to have that, and Peter doesnt seem to have that.

My boobs ache when they fill up with milk, and they tingle slightly painfully when DS is due his feed. I get a shooting pain when he first latches on, but when he is sucking with proper attachment there isnt really any pain.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, March 4th 2006, 11:21am

Ok, that's good then, ruling that out means that your nipples should heal in their own time without the hinderance of thrush.

Well, just keep on with the Lansinoh and get as much air to your boobs as possible. Another thing is not to use any soap on your boobs as this strips the natural oils from the skin.

The boob ache when your milk comes in is fine and the latching on pain will go in time. You're doing so well and ought to be VERY proud of yourself, Peter's a lucky little lad.

Saturday, March 4th 2006, 12:44pm

thanks

cookie

Superstar

Sunday, March 5th 2006, 6:49am

it was worth a try hun, im sorry they didnt work for you. i hope you feel pain free very very soon. and bells is rite, youre doing an amazing job. alot of people would have given up by now. big hugs hunny [zx127]

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Rufus

Star

Children: One son, aged 8, daughter 1

Sunday, March 5th 2006, 6:35pm

I know the exact feeling ouch! I wrecked nips with wrong use of breast pump and they tok a while to heal. I started to cry an hour before ds did to get feed. Lansinoh eventually worked for me. My health visitor also recommended whiskey and glycerine - although you have to wash it b4 every feed. it didn't do me any good, but if the lansinoh not working it might be worth a try. Hope you get sorted i know what that's like. Lol Lesa xxx
Keep smiling :happy:

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Sunday, March 5th 2006, 7:18pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rufus My health visitor also recommended whiskey

Cracking idea! :D I prefer a decent glass of wine but each to their own :D

Children: Twin Girls

Saturday, March 11th 2006, 2:44pm

Sun,

Have you tried Cabbage Leafs (honest!!) lots of ladies at my antenatal class recommend these, any type, they don't have to be the posh Savoy ones!!!, put them in freezer until very cold & then put on your breasts, apprantely it's heaven...can't wait to try them!! :D :D :D
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs
2nd IVF - Blastocyst Embies
unbelievable BFP & TWINS!!
Now have beautiful twin girls

My family is now finally complete.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "lisaw2308" (Mar 11th 2006, 2:45pm)

elmo

Ace

Saturday, March 11th 2006, 3:56pm

Quoted

Originally posted by lisaw2308

Have you tried Cabbage Leafs (honest!!) lots of ladies at my antenatal class recommend these, any type, they don't have to be the posh Savoy ones!!!, put them in freezer until very cold & then put on your breasts, apprantely it's heaven...can't wait to try them!! :D :D :D

wow this sounds good-you could even make a cabbage bra!! lol

hope you are healing sun. cant beleive ha is a month old already!!
Proud mom of the most beautiful twin girlies!!
2 angels in heaven, never forgotten

ZIG

Ace

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Isabella Mae (ICSI No.3) and Ruby Olivia (natural)

Monday, March 13th 2006, 5:14pm

I suffered really badly from cracked nips - it still hurts from time to time - and can only say that it gradually gets better. Not much consolation, I know, but I'm so glad I persevered. Keep going with the lansinoh and breastpads, and give your boobs a good airing every day. I never thought I would still be breastfeeding after 3 months, but here I am!

I couldn't sleep without a bra and pads as I would wake in a pool of milk whenever I tried to go topless (and I wasn't producing huge amounts of the stuff but it was still too messy). I used Daktarin cream for my suspected thrush but couldn't really see any improvement so gave it up and slowly, slowly it got less painful.

I really sympathise as I know how excrutiating it is. How about introducing a bottle for just 1 feed to give your boobs a rest. I found that really helped - even if my hv/midwife disapproved!

Zig x
Me 38, DH 44. 2002-2004 2x ICSI's, 1x egg donation. Changed clinics for own eggs ICSI/tx no.4 - BFP 27/4/05! Mummy to Isabella after early c-section 15/12/05, due to LLP. Baby No.2 (huge 'natural' surprise!) Ruby Olivia arrived 29/09/07 via emergency c-section.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, March 13th 2006, 5:29pm

Zig, well done for persevering. I'm glad that you've seen the light at the end of the tunnel. It's takes grim desperation sometimes to get from one feed to th eother doesn't it?

I know what you mean about the leaking at night but I couldn't wait to whip my bra off at bedtime. I used to lie on a towel and have a small handtowel or flannel slung over the headboard thingy. The one underneath me caught and leaks from lying on my boobs in my sleep. When I woke for a feed I would grab the other towel and lay it over the boob that I wasn't feeding on to catch the milk from the let down reflex. It helped me to get air to my boobs, just a thought if you dislik wearing a bra at night.

Tuesday, March 14th 2006, 2:42am

I have to wear a bra at night cos my boobs are so big & swollen they need the support - otherwise they are painful from stretching!

and Bells - I have slept with three towels underneath me and still managed to wet the bed (so as to speak!).

Zig - thanks so much for the support message - that means a lot to me to know I am/was not the only one suffering - the cabbage leaves dont work as it is not really my boobs that are sore, but specifically the raw open wounds on my nipples.

I guess it doesnt help that when DS finishes his meal and throws his head away from the boob to show he's had enough that he is still attached! ;(

I've recently been trying some New Zealand hydrogel inserts that have actually been helping but DH only got one set as a try out and they ran out - they were actually helping. DH is going to make the 2 hour drive (each way! - bless him) to the pharmacy that sells them this evening and get four more packets. Since I stopped the inserts I think I have regressed the good work :(

Rufus

Star

Children: One son, aged 8, daughter 1

Wednesday, March 15th 2006, 6:39pm

Don't use cabbage unless you have mastitus (is that how you spell it?) or are trying to reduce your supply! That is wha ist is really for! At least that is when I was advised to use it! Lol Lesa xxx
Keep smiling :happy:

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, March 15th 2006, 8:05pm

Savoy cabbage leaves are used to soothe hard, lumpy, sore, engorged breasts . They wont dry your milk supply up but they will offer some relief from mild mastitis (though antibiotics are needed if mastitis is bad).

(Put a savoy cabbage in the fridge and break off two leaves to put inside your bra when the breasts are hard and lumpy.)

Sun, what are the new zealand thingymabobs? They sound very exciting :D

Thursday, March 16th 2006, 1:01am

lol - not exciting - just helpful, although certainly not a miracle cure either!

http://www.mothermates.com/

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, March 16th 2006, 10:45am

Ahhh, yes, after seeing the packaging I remember seeing them here in Boots, though I sem to remember that they were pretty expensive.

Have you managed to get some more of them now Sunshine?

cookie

Superstar

Thursday, March 16th 2006, 3:11pm

they look really good! and they absorb milk too?? wow! how much are they in our money bells? do you remember?

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, March 16th 2006, 7:05pm

Cookie, I'm not entirely sure but I think they were around £10 a pop in Boots.

Friday, March 17th 2006, 2:49am

Bells - they could easily be. Over here in Asia they are about SG$20, which is about 6 quid, per packet (2 inserts per packet - 1 for each boob). The first lot lasted me about 3 days. This lot have lasted 4 days already but I will probably have to dispose of them in a day or two.

You still have to wear breast pads with them, particularly at night, and it can be a struggle when you have a wriggling screaming hungry baby, trying to faff around removing the insert carefully (cos it can gently stick to your boob) putting it in a clean place, feeding the baby, burping baby, putting baby down, and then cleaning the insert prior to reusing without bashing your poor nipple!

But.... they have stopped the wounds from sticking to either the breast pad or the bra, and there is none of that friction pain. The nipples are still very sore in general and it is still hard for me to carry or burp my DS, but there is some hope as they are starting to look a teensy weensy bit better - ie DS has stopped spitting up blood with his milk spit-up! 8o

Missy

Superstar

Friday, March 17th 2006, 8:32am

8o ;( you poor love- ouch!

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, March 17th 2006, 11:05am

You're a super trooper Sun x x x

I often say that if my second baby had been my first baby, I would've joined the millions of bottle feeding Mums. It was only because I knew that it 'could' be nice that I carried on with the whole thing. You're doing such a fantastic job. You've got the hardest kind of baby and have had to deal with all practically all of the problems associated with breastfeeding. There's no specific reason why but some babies really are harder than others. I bet if you had another baby it would be one of those lovely suckers and you'd be doing this stood on your head. Just a shame that you've had such a poo experience of something which can actually be very nice.

Things sound like they're looking up for you, fingers crossed that it's a continuous upward trend from now.

x

cookie

Superstar

Friday, March 17th 2006, 12:32pm

hello girls, i have just read the posts about your wounds sticking to you b-pads and bra and something sprang to mind. i used bactigras dressings in my breast pads!!!! i cant believe i forgot about that! it was a life saver!! my mw did tell me that id have to bathe my nipples before i fed dan to get rid of the suplus ointment but they worked. and they are relitivly cheap. minght be worth a go??

Tuesday, March 21st 2006, 2:43am

Sunshine - I can't believe I'd forgotton this whole section on breastfeeding was here (must be new mother brainlessness!) I posted on the child development site but you have covered nearly all of my concerns here. I hope things are getting better for you now I really do - just wanted to say I've joined the club and am feeling your pain (so to speak) just think how far you've come from where I am now!

What I find really funny :rolleyes: is the breastfeeding leaflets and the maternity bra adverts - have you seen the silly smiles on the 'mother's faces'?! I have come to the conclusion they are all psychotic or under the influence of drugs if they are real breastfeeding mothers LOL!

Tuesday, March 21st 2006, 9:25am

georgie - oh, I have thrown some books out the window when you see a mother sitting in a rocking chair with arms looking happy content comfortable showered (yeah right!) with a silly grin on her face!

ok everyone, an update today.

I went to the doctor. He was a sweetheart, even when I was bawling my eyes out. He didnt try & persuade me to bottle feed and congratulated me for doing so well. He checked my nipples, and made sure there was no infection, thrush or mastitus (sp?). I've medically got a clean bill of health. He told me to make sure the baby was latched on with as much booby as possible, and to try not to flinch backwards with the pain as that will aggravate the issue.

The cause of the wounds were DS small mouth, and my flat nipples, and both of us not knowing what we were doing.

Some of the latch on pain is basically the pain of DS pulling my flat nipple outwards! 8o

There isnt anything he can do about the wounds, and I am just to hang on in there and perserve.

I've tried the rugby-ball hold, but even at around 4kg, my DS is too heavy for me to do that and my nipples point horizontally straight out so it is a difficult position. I tried that to alter the area that was being pressured. It didnt work.

I've tried expressing and giving my boobs a rest, but whilst I dont have any latch on pain, the expressing still opens up the wound - so ultimately it doesnt help all that much.

What does seem to be helping that didnt earlier, (why?!), are the breast shells with air vents from Avent. They seem to be keeping the nipples sticking outwards, and the latch on is still painful but less so than a couple of days ago.

I havent done Gina Ford as a lot of mums here (they come out of the woodwork) say she only worked for bottle fed babies, and that seems to bear out - the only ones that have got a routine with GF seem to be the bottle fed babies. A book I find good is the Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg which talks you through stages and is much less prescriptive and harsh (in my opinion). It's only guidelines.

Tuesday, March 21st 2006, 9:27am

"I havent done Gina Ford as a lot of mums here " here being where I am living rather than here on the website!

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Tuesday, March 21st 2006, 9:29am

i think you might have a point there sun, gina ford is a very prescriptive routine, which i think does suit bottle fed babies better as they do naturally fit in to feeding at more regular times. I meant to have a look at the baby whuispere book- what sort of routine does she suggest?

Tuesday, March 21st 2006, 10:39am

basically the kind of routine that is flexible and adjustable depending on a baby's birthweight and how many weeks old and the mother.

the only criticism I would level is that she is often quick to say that in BF a mum may have inadequate supply, but then she does at least make suggestions on how to increase that supply.

it's a very common sense gentle routine / book, and you feel fine if you deviate from it as well! :D

Missy

Superstar

Tuesday, March 21st 2006, 11:23am

thats a good thing then Sun, I get panicky if Laurens late for a feed or has too much /not enough sleep!! :rolleyes: I think I would get like this on any routine though as I'm a bit of a control freak!!! :D

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Wednesday, March 22nd 2006, 12:23am

thanks for that advice Sunshine - I and DH read Gina Ford and got ourselves really screwed up about it. My DH kept quoting her too which wasn't sensible in my hormonal condition! The M/W said that they hate Gina Fordt often hide them if she sees them on display at Tescos! I might get the book you recommend - (I am such a control freak too Sam LOL!) for future reference.

I do the rugby ball hold because I have saggy droopy boobs (nice!) so suits me - god knows how I'd ever do it in public though, I have loads of props, about 4 pillars propping me and DD up! that'd look a bit obvious in starbucks!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Primrose" (Mar 22nd 2006, 12:27am)

Monday, March 27th 2006, 12:02pm

ok - an update

nipples are still sore, but are starting to heal - look more like cracks & a few spots of blood rather than open wounds - trust me - this is a huge improvement! :D

they are almost feeling normal, and the blood in spit-up hasnt happened for two days now! :D

seeing finally some signs of improvement has made a huge difference to me - I am so much more happier - knackered still, but happier!

Monday, March 27th 2006, 12:25pm

:D Fan blinking tastic Sunshine! :D what a difference calmer boobs make! really pleased things are on the up turn, gives us all hope :D

Bagpuss

• "Bagpuss" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Monday, March 27th 2006, 12:56pm

Well done Sun. what a star you are to have got through it so well. I will def be calling on your experince in the next couple of months I'm sure!

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Monday, March 27th 2006, 2:21pm

whoopee!!! :D
well done you for battling through it Sun- what a star. hopefully you can see the light at the end of the tunnel now!?

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, May 17th 2006, 12:20am

My breast feeding consellor (whatever next??) told me to go to Starbucks and ask for 2 frappocino lids, they are dome shaped with a hole at the top for the straw, pop em in your bra and it works wonders, the air gets to your nipples without anything rubbing on them, I used them the other day and was very impressed.

I feel your pain Sun mine have just got back to normal it's the inside of my mouth I am worried about now where I was biting so hard to get through the pain of that first latching on!

Wednesday, May 17th 2006, 8:33am

thats a great tip - thinkinking about it they are exactly the same shape as breast shells

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE