You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "LadyLuck" started this thread

Tuesday, March 11th 2008, 10:43pm

Working Tax Credits???

I am hoping to begin work 20 hours a week, approx.

Can anyone explain how it works. I need to know if its worth doing because I am claiming housing benefit, full child benefit as I am a lone parent now.

I want to work but I cant afford to work if I am going to lose too much money which means I can't afford to look after my DD and me.

Can anyone help. I have used a calculator from the government website and it works out that I would really benefit from working 20 hours a week. But i seem to get a lot in tax credits???

Any help will be appreciated, thanks x x x

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

Children: if only!

Wednesday, March 12th 2008, 9:41am

The calculator on the direct.gov website for working tax credits should be right - it sounds right that you would be entitled to quite a bit in working tax credits - depending on what your earnings are going to be.

But my understanding is that your earnings will affect housing/council tax benefit - so you should find another calculator for these on your local council website.

If you work >16 hrs per week, then you may also be eligible to up to 80% of your childcare costs if you put your DD in approved childcare.

What you earn will not affect your child benefit and child benefit is not income for working out tax credits.

These sorts of calculations are all a bit fiddly and how much better off you are by working will depend on your own particular circumstances, pay rate, rent costs etc so its difficult to give useful general advice - but I didn't want you to get no replies!

Sorry that this doesn't help much.

Mousie

Reg: Oct 6th 2005

Wednesday, March 12th 2008, 12:23pm

Hi V,

I work 20 hours a week now and get some tax credits but not much cos of DP working but i do know that you should get quite a bit depending on your wage from the 20 hours. I'd give them a phone and enquire. I'd also go and visit your housing benefit office and ask them as the amount you get in working tax credits and your wage will almost certainly affect your housing benefit. You can get roughly 70% of childcare costs covered for you if you work 20 hours per week and are a single parent.

Michelle x
Me 33, DP 32
TTC for 3 years.
HSG showed 2 blocked tubes.
Lap and dye August 05 unblocked both tubes. :D Hurrah!!!! :D
Natural BFP 05/06/06

My beautiful baby girl was born 2 weeks early on 3rd February 2007

After many up's and down's we're back and ttc naturally in 2013!

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Wednesday, March 12th 2008, 4:12pm

Phone them, they will give a roough guide (always been spot on for me)
If you work 16 hours or more you will lose income support, but gain working tax credits.
Do you have there number
It worked out better for me to work 16 hrs and claim 1 days child care.
But i cant claim housing as i co own my house.
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Wednesday, March 12th 2008, 8:59pm

I rang the tax credits people and housing people and they both worked the figures out for me. If I work 18hrs a week I end up with an extra £300 approx a month which is fab.

So I am just looking out for a job now x

It is so confusing, I also found out that if you earn less than £105 a week you dont pay NI and you don't pay any tax if you earn less than £5435 a year.

Thanks for all of your help x x x

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Wednesday, March 12th 2008, 9:13pm

Yep i dont pay tax :happy: BUT not sure if this has implications for pension and statory sick pay as not paying the stamp (as i were)
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Wednesday, March 12th 2008, 10:12pm

Oh yeah, didnt think of that. I think you pay tax with child tax credit though don't you?

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: DS#1 (clomid) 1999 -vb - DS#2 (natural BFP) c-sec

Thursday, March 13th 2008, 12:06pm

oh V - I;m looking for someone to work around 15 hours per week --- although think the travelling may put you off --- although it would be nice to see you back up here in Scotland :P

Seriously though - hope you find just what your looking for really quickly --- £300 extra a month would be nice :happy:
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)
DS#2 MAY 2006 - MIRACLE !!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE