You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

one2b

Star

• "one2b" started this thread

Reg: Oct 30th 2006

Friday, March 14th 2008, 6:23pm

Help!

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advise about weaning. G is curently 16 weeks old, drinking 30oz per day and is always chewing his fists between feeds and staring at us when we eat. Is he ready for weaning??

He still goes 4 hours between feeds but has started waking up at 4am because he's hungry. Not sure of his weight, not been done for a few weeks due to clashs with the clinic. Cant go til 2 weeks time. Last weigh was 12lb, double the weight from when he came out of hospital.

We lost our HV too, waiting for a new one to be allocated. Was thinking or a bit of rice before bedtime, what you all think??

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Friday, March 14th 2008, 6:47pm

IMO little G is too young to be weaned and possible his insides arent yet developed enough to digest solids.
I would at the very least wait till 4mths and you will have seen H/v by then and she can advise .
Could it also be teethy pegs under the gums that ay wake him up -
Or
Possibly a growth spurt that may tail off agin in a week or two.

He's your son so you know him best - but i wanted to reply

:D
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Friday, March 14th 2008, 7:03pm

16 weeks is the guideline if it is absolutely necessary, and if he is showing signs of being ready any new foods (always baby rice to start with) should first be introduced in the morning and given for at least 3 days before moving to night time to make note of any reactions. I would recommend trying just one teaspoon of rice at around the 10am feed first of all. Introducing solids is not just about filling baby up, but mainly to get their mouths used to texture and taste, and to get their guts and bowels used to digesting. I would also recommend rice to be given for 10 days to 2 weeks before introducing any other foods :)) Good luck, it seems like a minefield now but its ok once you get your head around it!! :D

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Friday, March 14th 2008, 7:17pm

I think it is too early. All the new studies shows that early weaning are linked to food intolerances etc.
The new recommendations are weaning from 6 months. Until then your bubs will get everything he needs from milk.

(then again they might change the recommendations soon again!)

I did the baby lead weaning and it worked a treat for me. Then only time Z was choking was when I tried mushed food!
Here is a link for some baby lead weaning reading: Baby Led Weaning - an Interesting Approach
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Friday, March 14th 2008, 9:14pm

hiya sarah! your lil man has a huge appetite doesnt he???? :8o:

H was showing all the signs that G was leading up to 4 months....probably 2 weeks before which is about the same as you. she was chewing her hands, crying if she saw us eating and was drinking quite a bit (not as much as G tho)
i made a choice not to start H on solids till she was 4 months, i really dont think it would have been possible to have left her till 6 months tbh....she was so fretful and unhappy around food. i remember with spud i tried him at 4 months (that was in keeping with the guide lines back then) and he was just not ready! he hadnt got a clue what to do with it and i just kept catching it when it fell out of his mouth and shoved some more in but it took spud till he was at least 5 months to try to move his mouth and swallow it, he always used to gag on it too which was quite frightenening!
where as H has taken to it like a duck to water, she holds my hand and guides the spoon to her mouth and doesnt spit it out at all, its as if she knows what to do with it. i think what i am trying to say is that every baby is different. if you feel he is ready then try him but go very slowly. like 1xbby said you know your little man best.

lots of love

k xxx

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

one2b

Star

• "one2b" started this thread

Reg: Oct 30th 2006

Saturday, March 15th 2008, 8:14am

well, been up since 3:30 now and am so tired :bawl:.

1x - have had a good feel round his gums and even looked with a little torch but we cant see anything under his gums.

he's only had 8oz off 2 feeds today which is unlike him, he's not showing sigs of cold or anything. maybe it is just a growth spurt! Think i'll hold off until next weekend and see how he goes. he has the same size bottles all day, have read your comments on here tat some of your LO's take smaller and bigger bottles thru the day but G not like that, he's normally on 5 x 6oz bottles a day. he feeds at 7, 11, 2, 6 and 9:30. if he wakes at 3 - 4 then he has 4oz so he's up to 34 if he drains all of them!! i dont want to change him to SMA white tho, HV says not as nutritious as Gold.

im confused!!

Reg: Oct 10th 2005

Saturday, March 15th 2008, 8:51am

Think I tried A at 19 weeks hun...and apart from a few hiccups haven't looked back really
When A stops eating now it's usully teeth or him feeling under the weather. When he's passed that his appetite comes back. Sounds like possibly teeth hun, those teething salts are good. I'm always wary about calpol and when to give it - have you got a thermometer, that's a good guildeline to check, then calpol if he's running a temp?? Sorry I'm nto much help I'm usually the one asking these questions

Caz

Me 39, DH 39 ICSI Nov '06 BFP

FET Dec '10 - ET Dec 16th - Test Day 31/12/10

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Saturday, March 15th 2008, 9:28am

oh sarah you sound knackered hun!!!
:hugs:

it might be a growth spurt like you said....try and get some sleep today, let DH have G for a couple of hours.

lots & lots of love

k xxx

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Saturday, March 15th 2008, 9:53am

How abou increasing the bottles first to 8oz and if it helps I just used white before bed not through day. so it may also be worth ago.
Hope you squeze a nap in today I understand how awful it can be when you HAVE to get up at stupid o clock.

HUgs x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "1xbaby pls" (Mar 15th 2008, 9:57am)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE