You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Suzy Q" started this thread

Reg: Jul 30th 2006

Monday, March 24th 2008, 12:42pm

Can't eat, wont eat!

I've been trying the twins on taster foods this week. C is a dream to feed, seems to like most things - (though not too keen on swede!) and will happily put away 3-4 cubes of veggies in a sitting. E is another story and just wont open her mouth. If i put the spoon to her mouth she blows bubbles into it or occasionally sucks food off of it. she'll eat a little food off of my fingers, and will eat it off her fingers or the bib - where most of it ends up. If i hold the spoon in her hand she will occasionally take from it but whatever method i try she'll rarely get through more than half an ice cube - and i think most of that ends up on on her rather than in her!. She doesn't have much of an appetite at the best of times and is still a titch putting on 2oz a week. I'm assuming (well hoping) feeding will just get better over time but does anyone have any tricks or tips to help things along in the meantime?

many thanks & happy easter!

xxx
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
Bilateral hydrosalpinges discovered May 06
Bilateral salpingectomy June 06
1st IVF August 06 BFN
2nd IVF January 07 BFP Twins!!

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Monday, March 24th 2008, 1:28pm

Mine were the same J will eat *anything* loves food.
M would look at it poke it and launch it across the room, but he is getting loads better with more teeth he is eating bananas which he hated he will eat carrots and veg if i add a sauce or gravy.
I have even noticed that m will hate a meal one week and scoff it the next.
Have you tried carrots and swede mashed together or butternut squash and mashed sweet pots.
Its all trial and error but at your twos age milk is all they need so i wouldnt worry just stick as you are with taste testers, make some notes and then when they move on to having solids instead of bottles you will havesome ideas of what wil work.
Good luck - :D :D
you may want to do a search on weaning i know i have asked loads of questions along my way and had lots of good advice. x x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

KIRSTY G

Reg: Sep 27th 2006

Children: 7 year old little man, and B/G twins

Monday, March 24th 2008, 1:30pm

RE: Can't eat, wont eat!

I haven't got any tips at all, but would love some :D

Pretty much the same as you ... J loves his food and will eat anything and everything. B really doesn't seem to like it ... and we're still stuck on plain baby rice (or with a little fruit), as she won't touch anything else. Even the rice/fruit ... she'll only have maybe 4-5 baby spoonfuls.

To be honest though, i'm really not bothered ... It was only a few weeks ago she was was barely drinking milk either, but now she's so much better and is having 30 oz or so a day, so i'm quite happy to go at her speed with the weaning.

Once they have teeth, and are a little bit more grown-up, there are so many more choices, and maybe it's just that E, like B, doesn't like puree but will get on really well with finger foods when she's a little older ... and as long as she's gaining weight, she's doing well

KIRSTY G

Monday, March 24th 2008, 1:31pm

RE: Can't eat, wont eat!

What is it with these twins :laugh:

Monday, March 24th 2008, 1:43pm

Thanks girls, I guess I'll just have to let her set the pace, she's really not that interested in milk so I kind of had my hopes pinned on loving her food! She's quite keen in sucking on cucumber so i think she'll love finger food & feeding herself - independent little minx that she is.

love your signature pic Kirsty, are those highchairs or booster seats? I've been wondering what to get. can you recommend?

xx
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
1st IVF August 06 BFN

KIRSTY G

Monday, March 24th 2008, 1:45pm

We've got a dining table and chairs that we never use (except to store washing newshy ), so the booster seats are permanementl attached to the chairs. If you have spare chairs I would go for booster seats, as they're cheap (£12 each, maybe), but high chairs if not. Make sure you get ones that fold flat though

Monday, March 24th 2008, 1:49pm

Quoted

Originally posted by 1xbaby pls

Have you tried carrots and swede mashed together or butternut squash and mashed sweet pots.

I am the puree queen, we have swede, carrot, sweet potato, butternut squash, parsnip, potato, apple and pear in the freezer - we're gradually trying each on their own and in combination. she still looks at it all with contemp and stares at my toast with a lot more interest!

xxx
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
1st IVF August 06 BFN

Monday, March 24th 2008, 1:57pm

Thanks Kirsty, I've been umming and ahhing about getting boosters rather than high chairs as it will be better for space, and we could do the same with our dining chairs (we used to sit at the table but the tables gradually got buried in stuff over the last 6 months as the house spirals further & further into an untidy chaos)

The only worry I have is that will boosters on dining chairs be stable enough? our chairs are pretty sturdy but i wonder if when the monkeys are a bit bigger they'll be able to topple themselves over??

xxx
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
1st IVF August 06 BFN

KIRSTY G

Monday, March 24th 2008, 1:58pm

Same here Suzy ... She's mildly interested in sweet things ... But only fruit. She won't touch sweetcorn, sweet potato, swede ... Nuffink :no:

KIRSTY G

Monday, March 24th 2008, 2:00pm

I had/have the same worry ... J is a little lump, and when he leans forwards (to lick his socks, as you do) I do worry, but it doesn't even wobble. Does depend on your chairs though, I suppose.

You can get high chairs on kiddicare and the like for around £40 (x 2 does add up though)

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Monday, March 24th 2008, 2:24pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Suzy Q
, she's really not that interested in milk so I kind of had my hopes pinned on loving her food!
xx

Hi ya Suzy

I could have written that my self ! M is still BF so it's hard to say what she's getting, but she's barely scraping 2oz gain a week :sadface:

I've been trying M with a bit of food the last few weeks or so, have to say she's got much better, she started off saying "eeeughhh", and "acchhhhh", and generally making sounds like I was feeding her lemons :rolleyes: but she will eat what I give her now but she doesn't seem that fussed either way. Sometimes she'll guide the spoon in my hand to her mouth, but it's not often.She's really not having that much either, just trying to get her used to the idea.

M is still teeny tiny, so going v slowly. I'm sure E will get there in the end (and M too!), be interested to hear how you get on in the coming weeks and if I discover any thing she really likes or any tips, I'll let you know.

take care

xxxx

Monday, March 24th 2008, 2:28pm

Cheers hon, :D I'll keep you posted!

great that little M is starting to play ball, hope she ups the quantities soon too

lots of love

xxx
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
1st IVF August 06 BFN

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Monday, March 24th 2008, 2:32pm

Thanks Suzy

My mum has fed her the last 2 days and she's done really well, perhaps my mum is more relaxed ?

Imagine it's difficult with 2 though.

Really I haven't the first clue how much and when she's supposed to be eating !!

Good luck

xxxx

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE