You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Lexie

Star

• "Lexie" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "Lexie" started this thread

Thursday, March 27th 2008, 9:56am

Breastfeeding twins Please help!

Does anyone have any tips for breastfeeding twins. My babies are still in neonatal at the mo so I'm expressing for the night feeds when I'm not there but during the day I'm breastfeeding. I've got tons of milk but I'm never sure if they've fed well etc etc. I dont want to give up, I just don't want them to loose weight and be in there longer than they should. Any advice appreciated xx
Me 34,DH, 32. DD15 from prev relationship. Scan 9/07 showed 2 [zx076] [zx076] My perfect little ladies arrived healthy 7 weeks early on 18/3/08 weighing 4lb 8 and 3lb13...Love my three pinkies

:girl: :girl: :girl:

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Thursday, March 27th 2008, 1:00pm

Hi Lexie

can you not stay the night? if not dont worry, you are doing the best you can.

Apparently the best encouragement for prem or low birth weight babies to increase in growth is "touch". Try & cuddle & stroke and get skin on skin contact with your little ones as much as possible.

And dont worry - breast milk, particularly if you are getting some suckling so the babies can make the demand is far better for encouraging babies growth than any artificial formula. Your milk is perfectly made for YOUR babies.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, March 27th 2008, 7:53pm

I agree with everything Sunshine says.

It's the belief that breastmilk is somehow less nutritious because babies on artificial milk tend to weigh more a lot quicker. This is down to the proteins and caseins in formula milk which make for bulkier babies, however, bulkier does not mean healthier.

It sounds like you're doing a fine job if you're producing lots of milk and if the babies are suckling at the breast. The best way to keep a good milk supply is by keeping up the feeding/expressing. Your body produces more prolactin during the night so night feeds are a good way of stepping up your milk supply. As you're not there for those night feeds then express as much as you can late at night and early morning and remember that the more milk you take out the more you will produce.

You know they've fed well if they are thriving. You have to trust your instincts and be led by the babies which is harder than being able to look at a measurement on a bottle but the health benefits of breastfeeding your babies far outweighs the fact that you cannot accurately measure the precise volume of milk that they have drunk.

Keep up the good work and well done. Remember that your milk contains some very special elements that aren't found in artificial milks and that your milk is lining their tummies with healthy bacterial flora meaning that they are much less suscpetible to gastro problems at this very delicate age.

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Thursday, March 27th 2008, 8:21pm

Hi,

I expressed in scbu for 3 weeks - so no real advice I'm afraid,
If the Nurses are doin the night feeds they will be able to tell you how much they are taking e.g between 7 - 7
Which will give you some idea of amounts, plus every week there wieghed you will see how there doing, helping put your mind at ease.
Do they have little books at there bed side in hosi - There fab like a diary so you can catch up on whats gone on whilst you were asleep. :happy:
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Reg: Jul 30th 2006

Friday, March 28th 2008, 1:51pm

Hi Lexie,
My only advice would be make use of the breastfeeding support at the hospital - and if your not getting any -demand some!! After alot of cajoyling both of mine were breastfeeding when I left hospital (I was only in 2 nights) but it all went to pot when I got home and I ended up bottle feeding expressed milk full time (as my little boy had lost so much weight as I couldn't get him to latch on at home). You're doing a grand job, they're keeping a close eye on them and their weight gain, keep doing what youre doing, its all good!

xx
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
Bilateral hydrosalpinges discovered May 06
Bilateral salpingectomy June 06
1st IVF August 06 BFN
2nd IVF January 07 BFP Twins!!

Reg: Oct 17th 2006

Saturday, March 29th 2008, 1:47pm

RE: Breastfeeding twins Please help!

The best thing for the babies is breastmilk, Lexie. Not knowing how much they're feeding is a common problem. But the nurses will let you know if they think your babies are getting insufficient milk.
You're doing a great job feeding twins. Keep it up.
Like Suzy says, if you need help with BF , ask for it.

xxx
Anu

Me 32, DH 33
TTC since 2001
Left ovary removed and Lap 2 years later showed adhesions.
1st IVF NOV 06 - BFN.
2nd IVF APR 07 - :BFP:
TWINS!!!

Lexie

Star

• "Lexie" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "Lexie" started this thread

Sunday, March 30th 2008, 2:49pm

Thanks everyone for advice. Twins are coming home tommorrow yeahhh. I was born at 4lb 8 and dropped to 4lb 4, she got weighed Fri and is now 4lb 6. A was 3lb 13 and is now 4lb so I must be doing something right. I'm staying in overnight with them tonight and fingers xd home tommorow.

I stayed in Fri night with them as they said they could come home Sat morning but when A got her bloods done it showed her billiruben levels to be high so she has had to go under lamps for 48 hrs.

Breastfeeding went well tho and during the night I fed at 1am and 5am so didnt have too bad a night. I cant feed them together tho and have to do one twin first, I find it hard to hold both twins together with them being so small. I will carry on b feeding as long as I can as I just want the best for them and I feel that b feeding is the best option at the moment. Thanks for help everyone. xx
Me 34,DH, 32. DD15 from prev relationship. Scan 9/07 showed 2 [zx076] [zx076] My perfect little ladies arrived healthy 7 weeks early on 18/3/08 weighing 4lb 8 and 3lb13...Love my three pinkies

:girl: :girl: :girl:

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Sunday, March 30th 2008, 5:24pm

Oh Lexie :hugs: your doing Brilliant well done & so so pleased they will be home Tomoz,

happydance
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE