You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "swellhillcottage" started this thread

Reg: Aug 3rd 2006

Sunday, March 30th 2008, 4:23pm

Sudden drop in bottle milk intake

My Poor little man has a cough and cold which he caught from me bless him.
Gradually thru this week his Bottle milk ( we dont do breast feeding anymore ) intake has dropped from between 30 and 35 oz down to today so far we are on 16oz with just his teatime bottle to take ( about 4 or 5 oz ) as he sleeps from 7 till 7 now he hasnt been waking up this week even with the lower milk intake he will only take about 3 or 4 ounces at the most when he was taking 7 or 8 oz would the snuffles affect him that much because he has always been so greedy at 10 weeks he weigh in at 14 lbs !!!! :rolleyes:
There are no obvious issues like a sore mouth etc he just breaks off after about 4 oz and flat ly refuses to have any more - does anyone have any ideas - he looks bright enough and seems happy but at this rate it wont be enough to keep him going would it be an idea to wake him for a 10 pm feed? :rolleyes:

Sharon xx
Finally
Beautiful Son Charlie William Born 15/01/08 weighing 9lbs 3oz :innocent:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "swellhillcottage" (Mar 30th 2008, 4:24pm)

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Sunday, March 30th 2008, 5:20pm

Hi Sharon,
Poor C having the snuffles is a pain,
I would say that if his temp is ok, still sleeping and having wet nappies, then i woudnt worry :D :D
Have you tried the menthol plug ins??? Theres a calpol and a Karvol on they last about 8hrs and it helps with the breathing (plus the room smell nice :D)
& i suppose it would do any harm to give C the 10pm feed just to keep the fluids up.

:hugs: hope it passes soon x x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Sunday, March 30th 2008, 7:39pm

Thanks Hun do you think it possibly is the cold that would slow his intake down ? He is fine in himself just a little grumpy !!
We use Karvol and Snuffle babe they really do help :D Will see how we go with the 10pm feed as i dont want to start doing that if i really dont have to ( not yet anyway) I have deliberately given him an extra nap and let him stay up past 7pm hoping he may take more later on :innocent: :innocent:

Sharon xx
Finally

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "swellhillcottage" (Mar 30th 2008, 7:41pm)

Reg: Jul 30th 2006

Sunday, March 30th 2008, 7:56pm

Hi Sharon,
My two always feed less when they have colds, they get mucusy and congested and i think generally just feel rotten, it all puts them off, I think if they're bunged up feeding is trickier too as they can't breath too well & feed at the same time (thisis where the Karvol helps). It might be worth giving him a 10pm feed if you don't want to risk being woken at 2am but he may go through.

Hope the little lamb is brighter again soon

xxx
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
Bilateral hydrosalpinges discovered May 06
Bilateral salpingectomy June 06
1st IVF August 06 BFN
2nd IVF January 07 BFP Twins!!

Sunday, March 30th 2008, 8:04pm

Thanks Suzy - I am having a panic thinking he is rejecting bottle because he wants Booby back ( i stopped feeding him myself 3 weeks ago ) Just getting a tad worried for no reason as you do !!!
Hesvery Funny today he has learnt to shout!!!

Sharonxx
Finally

Reg: Jul 30th 2006

Sunday, March 30th 2008, 8:20pm

There's not too much wrong with him then :D - I just noticed you've a Charlie -our little boy is a Charlie too & also has my cold at the mo (& off both grub & milk!). He's snuffeling away upstairs as I type - the new noises continue and are always entertaining C has started a high pitched glass shattering squeal when he' very excited. All good fun. Don't worry about worrying it's inevvitable if not compulsory!

xxx
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
Bilateral hydrosalpinges discovered May 06
Bilateral salpingectomy June 06
1st IVF August 06 BFN
2nd IVF January 07 BFP Twins!!

Sunday, March 30th 2008, 8:27pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Suzy Q
There's not too much wrong with him then :D - I just noticed you've a Charlie -our little boy is a Charlie too & also has my cold at the mo (& off both grub & milk!). He's snuffeling away upstairs as I type - the new noises continue and are always entertaining C has started a high pitched glass shattering squeal when he' very excited. All good fun. Don't worry about worrying it's inevvitable if not compulsory!

xxx

I,ll look forward to the glass shattering then --Not!!
I love the name Charlie :O

Sharonxx
Finally

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "swellhillcottage" (Mar 30th 2008, 8:28pm)

Reg: Oct 17th 2006

Sunday, March 30th 2008, 9:39pm

RE: Sudden drop in bottle milk intake

Ho Sharon

Haven't seen you for ages. How are you? Dushyant dropped a few oz when he had a cold.

xxx
Anu

Me 32, DH 33
TTC since 2001
Left ovary removed and Lap 2 years later showed adhesions.
1st IVF NOV 06 - BFN.
2nd IVF APR 07 - :BFP:
TWINS!!!

Reg: Jul 21st 2006

Tuesday, April 1st 2008, 9:00pm

hi sharon

sorry to here C is unwell, have you tried a rolled up towel or pillow under his mattress, being flat can block the nose more, so on a slight angle can help open the airways, you can also buy olbus oil for babies, just a few drops near the cot helps breathing too

you will find most babies go off their food when poorly, as long as he has lots of wet nappies, then he should be fine, maybe offer a little cooled boiled water too, to help hydration

hope he is feeling better soon

x
ME 32, pcos, DH 47,
DH had Tese tx Jan 06
IVF/ ICSI July 06 ,
30 eggs collected, 2 transfered,
Had OHSS and OMG, :BFP:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "sharon77" (Apr 1st 2008, 9:03pm)

Tuesday, April 1st 2008, 9:14pm

Hey Sharon how are you ?

Thanks for that we did put his cotbed legs on tins tonite to see if that helps -Bless him he is still sleeping thru thoo . But we had an issue this morning when he took 6oz very well and an hour later when i lay him down to change his nappy it came back out like a fountain he was absolutely covered i honestly didnt know what to do with him so i chucked him in the bath It was like something out of the Exorcist!!!

He was quite hungry tonite 10 mins after doing 6oz before bed he was eating his scratch mitts :snigger: :snigger: so i could be in for a busy nite :rolleyes: hopefully back to being my greedy piggy :happy: :happy: :happy:

Sharon xx
Finally

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "swellhillcottage" (Apr 1st 2008, 9:16pm)

Tuesday, April 1st 2008, 9:18pm

oh hun

the amount of times I have chucked e-m into the bath after an explotion, its worse when it comes out both ends, and ends up all over mummy too, lol YUK

i
ME 32, pcos, DH 47,
DH had Tese tx Jan 06
IVF/ ICSI July 06 ,

ZIG

Ace

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Isabella Mae (ICSI No.3) and Ruby Olivia (natural)

Tuesday, April 1st 2008, 9:31pm

Please ignore me if I'm stating the obvious - but do you burp him when he stops mid-feed? Maybe cos he's so sniffly he's gulping more at his milk and therefore gulping more air in. Ruby has a permanent blocked nose and she seems to be more liable to trapped wind if she's struggling to feed.
Lots of steam does wonders, and as weird as this sounds, turn the heating down as a dry atmosphere in a bedroom, caused by central heating, can bring on stuffy/blocked noses. I've resorted to having a kettle in the bedroom so that I can whaft steam about at 3am without having to go downstairs and mess about. I whack in a load of oilbas oil and leave the top off the kettle. It does the trick (well, for a few hours).

He'll probably be feeling poorly so his appetite will decrease for a few days. Keep offering him more milk in smaller "doses" may help.

I swear by Medised, although be stringent about following the dosage.

Zig x
Me 38, DH 44. 2002-2004 2x ICSI's, 1x egg donation. Changed clinics for own eggs ICSI/tx no.4 - BFP 27/4/05! Mummy to Isabella after early c-section 15/12/05, due to LLP. Baby No.2 (huge 'natural' surprise!) Ruby Olivia arrived 29/09/07 via emergency c-section.

Thursday, April 3rd 2008, 8:58pm

Thanks Zig I have just seen your reply !!

I am begginning to wonder if he is more full of air htan normal the docs have put him on antibiotics now so fingers crossed .

Sharonxx
Finally

Saturday, April 5th 2008, 9:32pm

hi hun

how is C ????

huge hugs to you both :hugs:
ME 32, pcos, DH 47,
DH had Tese tx Jan 06
IVF/ ICSI July 06 ,

Sunday, April 6th 2008, 8:06am

Hi Sharon

He is still not well and sadly lost over 1/2 lb on his last week weigh in luckily he could afford to lose it :snigger: but he is still coughing and with that he gags and brings up milk until this morning though i thought he was improving but today he is coughing lots and he sounds so rattley in his chest but he lucks bright enough and is still giggling away !!Will see how he is tomorrow .

Sharon xx
Finally

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE