You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Sophsmum08" started this thread

Reg: Apr 7th 2006

Children: sophie 31/01/2008 and angels above

Tuesday, April 1st 2008, 11:58am

feeding help

hi ladies
ive been having some trouble with feeding this week
since sophie was born shes been on breast then i changed to bottle and the powder she has is SMA gold
shes been fine on it and took 4 ozs every 4 hours until recently she seems to take more milk so upped it to 5 ozs now she wont even take more then 2 every 3 hours

i dont know whats wrong there - dont want to phone HV cos i find her useless

also sophie has bad constipation atm and ive tried helping her by rubbing her and dh has been cycling her legs and shes had 2ozs of water throughout yesterday as hasnt gone for no2 for just over a day now
any ideas?

thanks xxx

Reg: Aug 3rd 2006

Tuesday, April 1st 2008, 3:01pm

RE: feeding help

Quoted

Originally posted by AngelsMummy
hi ladies
ive been having some trouble with feeding this week
since sophie was born shes been on breast then i changed to bottle and the powder she has is SMA gold
shes been fine on it and took 4 ozs every 4 hours until recently she seems to take more milk so upped it to 5 ozs now she wont even take more then 2 every 3 hours

i dont know whats wrong there - dont want to phone HV cos i find her useless

also sophie has bad constipation atm and ive tried helping her by rubbing her and dh has been cycling her legs and shes had 2ozs of water throughout yesterday as hasnt gone for no2 for just over a day now
any ideas?

thanks xxx

Hi Hun
Wow that could have been me that wrote that!!!!

Charlie is the exactly the same he has gone from 7 or 8 oz bottles down to 3 or 4 if i am lucky but he does have a cold
.My HV for the constipation( i have gone from Booby to SMA also ) recommended a tsp of mild tasting olive oil in the bottle once a day - which is actually working

Do you think she may have a cold which is what i have put charlie's slowdown to ?

Sharon xx
Finally
Beautiful Son Charlie William Born 15/01/08 weighing 9lbs 3oz :innocent:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "swellhillcottage" (Apr 1st 2008, 3:02pm)

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Tuesday, April 1st 2008, 3:28pm

i changed H's milk as sma gold gave her terrible constipation, it is well known for it, i gave her aptamil 1 and she was going to the loo normally within 2 days and was taking lots more at every feed.

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Tuesday, April 1st 2008, 3:52pm

Quoted

Originally posted by willow
i changed H's milk as sma gold gave her terrible constipation, it is well known for it, i gave her aptamil 1 and she was going to the loo normally within 2 days and was taking lots more at every feed.

Hi Willow
I also went on to Aptimil and we went the other way he got desperate runs and wind which is why i went for the SMA X(

Sharonxx
Finally

Tuesday, April 1st 2008, 9:35pm

thanks for the advice ladies

do have some olive oil in but dont know how mild tasting it is but will try it- do i only use it it 1 bottle per day?

aparrently i was the same when i was a baby but around 9 months old so had to have a different formula but sophie seems ok now as dh tried massaging the area and earlier she actually did poo be it slightly harder then reccomended peanut butter consistancy

will ask about it as she has 8 wk check tomorrow and 1st needles so got some calpol sachets to give if she gets a fever ect

thanks again xxx

Wednesday, April 2nd 2008, 7:17am

Quoted

Originally posted by AngelsMummy
thanks for the advice ladies

do have some olive oil in but dont know how mild tasting it is but will try it- do i only use it it 1 bottle per day?

aparrently i was the same when i was a baby but around 9 months old so had to have a different formula but sophie seems ok now as dh tried massaging the area and earlier she actually did poo be it slightly harder then reccomended peanut butter consistancy

will ask about it as she has 8 wk check tomorrow and 1st needles so got some calpol sachets to give if she gets a fever ect

thanks again xxx

Hi AM
My HV said a tsp in 1 bottle a day but i have spaced it so i do 1/2 a spoon twice a day ie 7 AM and 6pm as thats his last bottle because i dont think mine is that mild either and as he is off his milk i darent risk him not liking the tast but it is definately working :D :D :D

Sharon xx
Finally

Reg: Jul 5th 2006

Wednesday, April 2nd 2008, 1:08pm

hi chick

You could try the made up Aptamil as that oftens makes my two go quicker that the powder? Tomas was very constipated when he was little, and the HV told me some brown sugar in water, or some diluted pear or orange juice. I did try the OJ and it did used to work, as did the tummy massge, but you do have to do it for a while!

Have you tried some vaseline around her bum? Sometimes they have a teeny little tear that you can't see but it seems to stop them pooing? Watch out though, if it is that then you can expect movement pretty quickly!

As for the feeding, have you thought about going back to 4oz every 4 hours if she was happy with that?

Hope she picks up soon

Rosie
xx
me 32 PCOS, DH 39 all good
trying for 3.5 years, 12 months clomid, 1 m/c April 05, Fresh IVF March 06 BFN, FET Oct 06 BFP - Twins!! Littlebits born 29.05.07 and 30.05.07 :]

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Wednesday, April 2nd 2008, 1:29pm

you might also want to try soy formula instead

I moved both DS from breast to bottle at 7 months, but #1 is desparately allergic to milk so had to have soy formula. So that he didnt nick #2's bottles #2 gets soy formula as well.

Neither have ever had a problem with constipation.

Wednesday, April 2nd 2008, 8:12pm

hi ladies
thanks for the advice and tips
sophie been to drs today and they advise only giving her water between feeds but dh has a trick he does with a cotton bud which makes her poo so got quite a bit out today
she is having more water too but while at mums she screamed so much i was crying with her cos it breaks my heart when i hear her in pain and i cant do nothing about it

have been rubbing her since the cotton bud trick and gave her a feed of milk and water and she seems ok atm
if it doesnt clear or gets worse too often ill have to try and change milk but ill be telling hv on tues

she doesnt seem too bad over the needles today though which probs isnt helping her re screaming

anyway thanks again ladies

• "victoria82" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 5th 2005

Wednesday, April 2nd 2008, 8:19pm

you can also squeeze a tiny bit of fresh orange inside her bottle water. that will help her constipation

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "victoria82" (Apr 2nd 2008, 8:19pm)

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Wednesday, April 2nd 2008, 8:29pm

Try buying the ready mix apparenly if it is a different mix then the powder and can help - I sympathise I had to too the vasaline and cotton wool, plus most of the above. :smile:
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Thursday, April 3rd 2008, 8:14am

Ladies- PLEASE be VERY careful. Young babies digestive systems are very immature, and are not designed to tolerate anything other than milk or very small amounts of water. I would not reccomend giving ANYTHING mixed into feeds, beit orange juice, olive oil or brown sugar. THese are old remedies, but are not based on any evidence that proves them to be safe.

I woudl also be VERY VERY careful with the cotton bud. THe tissues around the anus are very small and delicate, and can be easily damaged. Anul temperatures are no longer taken by health professional fro this very reason. Again i certainly would not reccomend it as a method of treating constiapation.
x

• "victoria82" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 5th 2005

Thursday, April 3rd 2008, 1:46pm

fresh squeeze orange is well recommended by midwifes and health visitor here in our hospital and clinic that is where i got it from. when dd was few months old she suffer bad from consitpation and the health visitor told me to use it and it worked perfectly on her and still does now. i dont think a tiny drop of sueeze orange juice will harm a newborn

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "victoria82" (Apr 3rd 2008, 1:47pm)

Thursday, April 3rd 2008, 2:19pm

My H/v told me 5mls of prune juice M was drinking 500 mls by the age of one - didnt make a blind bit of difference ;(
M is under a consultant now. She says 98% of constipation in babies will not need any treatment. It will sorts itself out.
Has S had any blood in her poo or when you wipe??
Some babies look and sound in real pain when having a poo, but there ok J looks like his head will pop off his face goes bright red but he can poo 2/3 times a day.

I fed the boys sma gold and I know some dislike it, but it is what there Specal Care unit recommended and fed to boys on last few day in sc.
I would get back on your H/V she may advise changing milk, she may refur you.
:smile: :smile:

cookie

Superstar

Thursday, April 3rd 2008, 2:43pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Sunshine
you might also want to try soy formula instead

I moved both DS from breast to bottle at 7 months, but #1 is desparately allergic to milk so had to have soy formula. So that he didnt nick #2's bottles #2 gets soy formula as well.

Neither have ever had a problem with constipation.

i put spud on soya milk at the age of 6 months and he stayed on it till 1yr, but they dont reccommend you give it to children here as their only milk for some reason, im not sure why???

i have never added anything to H's bottle, i tried giving her a little cooled boiled water and that didnt work, she had runny poos for a few days too when i switched to aptamil, but it settled down in no time. hope all your babies are pooing normaly soon!

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Thursday, April 3rd 2008, 2:57pm

soya formula is ok, because it is formula - in other words it is soy protein and lots of other stuff with vitamins & minerals & acids & fats & metals etc to try and mimic breastmilk..... just like milk formula except the main protein is from soy bean rather than cow milk

soy milk is NOT good for infants because it is basically only the juice from squeezed soy beans, is quite high in salt and does not contain any nutritiion, particularly that required by infants for whom breastmilk is still meant to be the main source of nutrition until 1 year old, with formula being a substitute.

in fact soy milk is a misnomer - there is nothing milk like about it at all except for the colour. soy milk is as close to real milk as carrot juice.

===============

on a different note - please NEVER EVER stick anything, however small you think it may be, up a baby's anus. You have the potential to do life threatening & permanent damage.

cookie

Superstar

Thursday, April 3rd 2008, 3:02pm

thanks for that hun! i have always wondered why they stopped supplying it other than on prescription. i was worried it might have doen spud some damage tbh... it was the formula i was giving him.

and i totally agree with you on the last bit

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "cookie" (Apr 3rd 2008, 3:04pm)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, April 3rd 2008, 3:15pm

Oh good heavens no, under no circumstances must a cotton wool bud or anything else for that matter be inserted into a child's bottom without proper medical supervision!!!!! I do hope that's not what he did with it Shaz, if it is then please make sure it was the first and last time.

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Thursday, April 3rd 2008, 5:13pm

Quoted

Originally posted by victoria82
fresh squeeze orange is well recommended by midwifes and health visitor here in our hospital and clinic that is where i got it from. when dd was few months old she suffer bad from consitpation and the health visitor told me to use it and it worked perfectly on her and still does now. i dont think a tiny drop of sueeze orange juice will harm a newborn

I knw that this is common advice given to many, many mothers, BUt it is not advice based on any clinical evidence that it is safe. Merely hearsay and "tradition" that it "sometimes" works.

Thursday, April 3rd 2008, 7:38pm

The HV told me that you it was ok to use a cotton bud with Vasaline to put on the skin *around* the anus *not* up or in it.
As the bowel works the vasalie will help avoid a tear.
Is that what you meen AM

Saturday, April 5th 2008, 3:11pm

hi ladies

sorry not been online much

sophie ok now but her bms are rarely over 1 a day now

thanks for all info

dont have any vasaline 1xbaby and dh used cotton bud to massage the area around cos fingers are too big -sort of bum massage not inside her at all were not that daft

have read the sma gold tin its the 1st milk and saw in shops yesterday white is for hungry babies

Saturday, April 5th 2008, 6:12pm

Hi AM

I never thought you were doing the insertation thing and never posted to cause you to think you were silly, nope never promise :flowerbasket:
Sophie is going great guns now and looking lovely so thats all that matters. Hope she continues to poop well x x x

mad_shell66

HONORARY MEMBER

Reg: Apr 16th 2008

Children: One amazing daughter born 14/4/11

Monday, April 21st 2008, 4:07pm

have you tried mam bottles? they seemed to help my niece with her feeding. we had to move her onto farleys milk, under the same circumstances you are having

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE